5.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions, beautiful results
Published on 10 May 2011 by Ms A Phelan

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a baking book than a cooking book
I was disappointed in this book. It's certainly well done and well written, but you've got to have a sweet tooth... It's organized by meal : breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon cake, dinner and desert. This list gives you some clues at what's wrong here... Except for lunch and dinner, the rest is only sweet recipes : drinks, jams, cakes, pastries etc... For lunch ? it's...
Published 7 months ago by Hallu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions, beautiful results, 10 May 2011
What struck me first about this book was how lovely it was to flick through. Clean layout, decorative but not fussy and striking photographs. Very scandinavian, of course. I've followed Signe's blog for some time and admired her baking skills and her knowledgeable approach to food and cooking. So I was very interested in seeing what her first cookbook would be like and I have not been disappointed. The recipes are all clearly written and very easy to follow. I love cooking and am very happy with savoury cooking. However, I'm not an experienced or confident baker. I love good bread but have been always nervous about using fresh yeast, the kneading process and about the amount of skill I would need to produce a good result. Well, on my first attempt at Spelt & Fennel Seed Bread I was delighted with the whole process. The instructions were easy to understand, the kneading was short and easy and I ended up with some absolutely delicious bread. Excited, I made another recipe from the book, Salmon Tartare, to go with it and ended up with a delicious nordic meal before I knew it. Seriously love this book. Too often cookbooks assume more knowledge than the reader has or are too basic but this book is, like its food, simply refreshing, unfussy and... works! My next attempt will be Signe's cinnamon rolls. Can't wait to bake and I thought I'd never say that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so yummy...., 1 May 2013
beautiful recipes, I can't wait to try out the bread recipes. I have long been a fan of scandinavian food and flavours. I have so far had a few of the open sandwich suggestions (the goat cheese, radish and rosehip was amazing!), and have also made the potato and egg salad and the cottage cheese with beetroot. Everything tastes really fresh and balanced, and most of it is very healthy as well. If your only experience of scandi food is Ikea's meatballs and Daim cake, you should buy this book if only for the daim bar cake recipe in here, as well as to try some much yummier scandinavian food! A lot of the recipes in here are actually fairly quick to knock up as well, and there are lots of really lovely breakfast and brunch ideas as well. This book is going to be one of those that is hardly ever on the shelf in my house...

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 16 July 2012
This is a beautifully designed book, with glorious photos and interesting recipes. I particularly like this book for it's use of spelt flour for baking, so you are keen on avoiding wheat (note that spelt does contain gluten so no good for those seeking gluten free) there are plenty of recipes to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense, 16 Jan 2014
If you love your chocolates and desserts then look no further. I have a Norwegian sister in law and she loved this book and it's a nice taste of home

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love it., 5 Jan 2014
I am a massive fan of Scandi food and this book is simply fabulous. Something fresh, something new and different - my in-laws were very impressed on Boxing Day when I provided a main, 2 sides and a dessert from the book. Beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandi food, 27 Dec 2013
I love anything Scandinavian, and the cooking is no different. Some lovely mouth watering recipes. A bit unusual some of them, and some of the ingredients a bit difficult to find, but yummy all the same. A great book for those wanting to try something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply delightful, 21 July 2013
A. Foresti (UK) - See all my reviews
I disagree with the review saying the recipes in this book are dull. They are simple, and elegantly so.

I have only bought it recently and had a chance to try only one of the recipe, but, as I was marking the recipes I would like to attempt, I put a sticker on most pages.

I really like this book a lot both as my first insight in the Nordic/Scandinavian cuisine and in general as a collection of interesting ideas.

I'm now looking to get "Scandilicious baking" too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 May 2013
I love this book . Very useful, Gave me some great ideas. Brought back childhood memories with the family..Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and simple cookbook, 17 Jan 2013
This is an excellent introduction to Scandinavian baking - particularly those delicious pastries which are often disappointing when bought from a British bakery. Much better fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious inspiration, 24 Sep 2012
This book is beautifully put together and provides a flavour (excuse the pun) for Scandinavian food. With the wealth of spice and comfort in the recipes I will enjoy working my way through the recipes during the forthcoming dark and cold months!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›