4.0 out of 5 stars A great little phone!
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by KM

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely phone but wasn't completely happy.
I have always bought Samsung and generally have no complaints.
This is the first time buying an android phone and I will admit I was a bit clueless about them.

There is no manual or not much of one, not enough to help anyway.
Published on 26 Aug 2012 by Amanda-Jane

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little phone!, 20 Mar 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Y on O2 Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit (Electronics)
I've bought this phone for my son for his 14th birthday. I'm not buying him a BlackBerry/HTC or higher spec phone than this as I feel his lifestyle of a lazy swine who doesn't look after his stuff doesn't warrant it plus this is an Android phone and so he still has access to the app market and can tweet, fakebook and whatever other social websites are out there! Can you tell I hate them! :)

The Galaxy Y is a great little device measuring 104 x 58 x 11.5mm and housing a 3-inch QVGA (240x320) TFT touchscreen.

The screen is certainly small compared to my HTC desire HD, but Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) still works well -albeit looking rather grainy due to the low-res TFT display but that won't bother him. Pics taken with the onboard camera look okay.

It fits nicely in the hand, the rounded textured back provides a comfortable and firm grip while weighing in at 98g so having a bit of weight to it.

The build quality of the Galaxy Y is sturdy with a solid feel to the handset when pressure is applied. The back cover is plastic but it fits snugly on the phone and when removed feels thick enough to be protective.

There is just one button on the right hand side which is the power/lock key, it is easy to reach when using one handed.

At the the top there is a 3.5mm headphone jack and a covered microUSB port. the cover is easy enough to remove.

On the left of the handset there is a volume rocker switch and a lanyard hole. Inside there is an 830MHz processor powered by a 1200mAh battery. Not the fastest but adequate enough in my opinion.

Samsung have stuck a tight fisted 160MB of internal memory inside which can be upgraded to 32GB with a microSD card. It came with a 2gb card too!

Here's a quick rundown of the specs. . . .3G enabled, WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, USB connectivity. Android OS version 2.3, 2mp Camera, no autofocus or flash though. You can record video, play music, there is a FM radio too! Running YouTube, social networking sites and playing games such as Angry Birds is all good! Of course you get a charger, 2gb microSD card as mentioned and the USB cable.

For me, as a hardworking pennypinching tightwad dad :) I think its a great little phone for the price. Plus I got £10 of airtime thrown in.

If he drops it or loses it or explodes it somehow. . .it won't be the end of the world, for me. For him it will be! :)
I love him really! :S

UPDATE 4/4/12. . .

The lad's birthday was the 2nd and he's now got the phone. He's very happy with it and put a few apps on, shot a few videos of him and the boys larking around, put some headache inducing music on the thing (whatever happened to Motown?)and, his mates are quite impressed with it alledgedly, so it's all good folks!

Another update!! 7/11/12. . .

I've just bought this for my lovely better half Samsung Galaxy Y SIM Free Smartphone I didn't know you could get this phone in white. Very nice for the girls! The lad is still happy with his too and now has an 8gb memory card in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very capable little phone, 6 April 2012
Been using this for 2 weeks now and I must say it's quite a performer for the price, and despite this being my first smart phone I found it easy to get along with from day one. Want the looks and 'almost all of' the capabilty of a much more expensive phone without the price tag then the Galaxy y will serve you well.

The only downside i've found so far is that if you leave the GPS turned on (to use the excellent sat nav app) it eats up the battery but that isn't enough to stop me giving it a 5 star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 13 April 2012
Ordered this phone at the beginning of last week, it was shipped the same day and i got it the next afternoon. I then charged the phone fully and the battery stayed charged for 3 days, much longer than the phone I had before. It is very petite unlike the galaxy s2 which my mum has and is a lot cheaper but there are hardly any noticable differences that me and my mum have found through comparing them. Its just overall a great phone and I'm glad i purchased it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely phone but wasn't completely happy., 26 Aug 2012
Amanda-Jane (South East England) - See all my reviews
I have always bought Samsung and generally have no complaints.

There is no manual or not much of one, not enough to help anyway.
I had no idea what WAP was and I couldn't understand why I was being charged £1 a day for not doing anything. I had searched online (on my laptop) and barely found reference to this phone, only other Samsung Galaxy phones and Samsung's own site wasn't very helpful. I paid £10 top up and got 300 free texts and 1mb free internet yet I was still charged the £1 a day.
I asked my daughter as she has android and she had no idea. In the end I just turned off all access to the internet even though I was going through my own WiFi..

That seems to have worked for now. After losing £4 for nothing.
But if my WiFi is paid for and I have 1mb free internet and connect with my WiFi I shouldn't be paying £1 a day...

I couldn't get the £10 free airtime either. So had to top up like usual, as explained above.

Yesterday I went on a train and during typing a text the phone would turn off and then restart and be stuck in a loop. The only thing that worked was taking the battery out for a minute... No there wasn't a tunnel. That happened twice. I am hoping that it was just a train moment and not a common occurrence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good option for a first smartphone, 27 Jun 2012
J. D. Ludlow (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my girlfriend for her birthday, and so far she's very happy with it. She specifically asked me to not get a larger, more expensive top-of-the-line phone like the S2, so when we were browsing around, this seemed to hit the right size and price point.

It's well-built, a good size to fit in the palm of your hand and is reasonably responsive. If you're used to something more powerful you may notice a little lag when browsing menus etc but it's perfectly usable. If you're coming from a basic phone (the primary market for this device) then the touch screen keyboards may seem a little awkward because of the small size of the screen, but there are options available to change the style of keyboard it uses (or install a different one from the market) if that becomes an issue. My girlfriend has found that she quickly adapted to the new keyboard, so it's not an issue.

It gets knocked a star because of the screen size (it's a compromise - having a large screen on a small phone would certainly be impressive!) and the slightly out-of-date OS version (a standing problem with Samsung phones, unfortunately).

If you're looking for a powerhouse that will play all the most impressive games, you're going to need to up your budget - think S2 or similar. However, I'd definitely recommend the Galaxy Y to anyone who's on a budget, finds the S2 too large or is just testing the water with all this smartphone malarkey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit OTT for my requirements!, 10 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Although I needed nothing more than a mobile phone - no browsing, no texting - the Samsung seemed an attractive device at a good price.

My only criticism was that, despite hardly using the 'phone, that original £10.00 airtime credit vanished appallingly quickly - at approximately £1.00 per day. It was finally traced to the fact that (it's apparently a default setting) a 'packet data' option - buried deep in one of the option drop-down lists - was ticked. Unticking the option stopped the airtime credit being drained. I'm not sure which feature/features have been disabled but, to me, I doubt they were worth £1.00 a day.

For the record O2's support people were EXTREMELY helpful and a chat session solved the problem.

Nice 'phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars galaxy y, 8 Aug 2012
The best and easiest phone i have ever had, i am in my late 60s and had no problems using it, wish i changed my old style phone earlier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Present, 11 Jan 2013
I had a Sony Ericsson K750i since they came out, but last year i "upgraded" to a Nokia Asha 201, it had a social app which connected to twitter, facebook and flickr, which was fine when it worked, the app stopped working twice and i had to send it back to nokia for a reinstall.

I was never happy with the nokia, it was slow, painfully slow, and it felt so ancient to use, even though i had yet to taste a smartphone.

So, a few months later my mum is asking me what i want for christmas, i didnt know, and i never gave her a proper answer, so imagine my surprise on christmas when i opened a present to find this Samsung Galaxy Y, i was thrilled beyond belief!

You can probably tell that i am not one of those people who upgrade their phone every 5 days for a few reasons, i am tight, and i rarely use mobiles anyway, though they make for a handy alarm clock, i am not one who spends half their day texting. So. needless to say that i am not au fait with mobile technology. But it is incredibly intuitive to use, having never used smartphones or touchscreens before, i found it rather easy to get around.

I do tweet a lot, but the touchscreen keyboard is a bit of a so and so, but there is a speech text function where you speak into the phone and it types your words. Now, i have a speech impediment, i was born with a cleft pallet so i speak very nasally and cannot pronounce S's all that well, so its pointless me trying to say "sausages" into it because it will not recognize my effort, but surprisingly it works on 90% of the sentences i throw at it, as long as i speak slowly and concisely, like an automated voice if you like, robotic like, emotionless, it copes very well and i am seriously impressed with this little addition.

The Android OS is very fast, to me anyway, and connected to my wi-fi, browing the web is very pleasurable, much faster than that piece of rubbish nokia!

I can tell you about the camera, shutter lag is a bummer and the noise is unacceptable, but no one in their right mind would buy a phone for the camera, or would they? I dont know, im a photographer but i have no need for a camera on any phone, but it is handy to have, even if it is just 2mp.

I now have a few apps on it, the star maps one is amazing, so neat, and of course Instagram and the Lomo Camera app, thats all i really need for now.

I love this phone, i cannot find fault with it, call quality is clear and loud, the mp3 player is really nice, and the whole experience is a joy, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone! Fantastic Price!, 10 Oct 2012
Mac UK (Cambridge, UK.) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a new phone and wanted a smart phone but did'nt want to spend hundreds of pounds so I chose to buy this model.

The phone is fantastic from what I can tell so far it does everything much more expensive models do and it costs a lot less.

Within 2 hours of unboxing it it was reading my e-mails connecting me to twitter, facebook, updating me on my bank balance telling me my gps location and with a free app I downloaded verbally directing me to a meeting like a mobile sat nav.

If you have a wi-fi internet connection at home connect it via that and turn packet data off to avoid massive phone bills for internet usage and if you can buy a micro-sd card (upto 32gb) to expand the memory.

The unit feels really nice and looks good, very quick and efficient seller buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Y, 19 Jan 2012
Mr. J. O. Dar (UK) - See all my reviews
Great phone, great price. It's sleek, easy to use, I've no no problems and it has everything I need. I would recommend this phone to anyone.