Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 February 2012
From the first track Conduct with heart wrenching lyrics about a relationship that is not working, to the catchy, Raining in my heart, and excellent Waiting in Walthamstow, Astral Projection and Perfect World ( a b side on the deluxe addition) , I think the cranberries have demonstrated again that they are very talented at righting catchy rock songs. This album is a return to form and whilst it captures a small piece of the old Cranberries sound it also feels fresh and new, and seems to be a departure from the heavy rock sound that has dominated the last three albums and returned to the more gentle alternative pop rock of the first two albums.

Vocally I think O'riordan has perhaps taken a step back, from the die hard power vocals found on Hollywood, Salvation and Promises, there is a softer more gentle side to her vocals in Walthamstow for example; this softer vocal has perhaps not been heard since `Put Me Down' from Everybody else is doing it, the rediscovered tenderness of her voice does not stop there, her vocals on Fire and Soul, Astral Projection, Conduct and Tomorrow, and the song Roses are all sang distinctively, softly and beautifully, Roses could have been on No need to Argue album, it has that alternative unusual Cranberrie sound that made them so popular in the first half of the 1990s.

I would like to see this album do well and chart in the UK and USA and for it to have success with several top twenty hits, Raining in my heart, Astral projection and Walthamstow, Show Me, would all make good singles. Unfortunately I don't think this album will catch on, with what is deemed as music these days, I can not see it selling over a million units, I think it may do better in Europe and Asia were the cranberries are still as popular as ever. Unlike the successful Everybody else, No need to argue, Faithful departed and Bury the Hatchet, this album may go the same way as, the much understated Wake Up and Smell the Coffee which did not spawn any successful hits and failed to make any impact on the charts. I am pretty sure they have not had a big chart hit since 1999's Promises which charted well in the UK and the USA, its follow up the excellent Animal Instinct failed to chart in the UK.

There are no massive rock songs on Roses, like Hollywood, Promises, Zombie, This is the Day instead you have Schizophrenic Playboy and Show Me the Way, which compared to previous rock outings are both rather tame, but still very catchy.

The album is a must for every cranberries fan it's the ultimate chill out album with heart wrenching love songs sang bye the distinctive voice of O'riordan, sometimes warbling, sometimes singing softly, and always in her distinctive Irish lint, a voice like marmite you either love it or you hate it, I have and always will love it.

Also in the deluxe addition you have the excellent B side track Perfect World that I think would make a great single, it has a classic early 1990s Cranberries sound to it. This deluxe addition also has over 30 tracks, as it also has a live CD plus a digital booklet making it a bargain!

I also find it slightly annoying that once again the B sides are different depending on what country the deluxe album is released in, for example the Japan release has the song Someday, the Canada release has a track called stop me, the UK release has the excellent Perfect World, although I live in the hope of one day they will release a ultimate B sides collection CD! These are all mild complaints in what is a excellent album!
on 1 January 2013
This is a solid album, and I really enjoyed that rare experience of listening to a Cranberries album for the very first time. I don't think anyone would argue that this is their greatest work, but it has that distinctive Cranberries sound, with O'Riordan's unmistakeable vocals still soaring (she basically IS the sound of the Cranberries) and the great rhythms and lyrics to go with it.

It's familiar enough to quickly feel like an old friend, but different enough to feel like a new album: from the relative tenderness of "Fire & Soul", the complex story in "Schizophrenic Playboys", the frankly odd choice of Walthamstow to include in a song, the poignant title track "Roses", and perhaps my personal favourite, the opening track "Conduct".

I think one of the reasons I like this band is the strength of their lyrics. Lines like "sitting here beside the fire - the flames they grow just like desire" might look a bit lame when you write them down, but when you listen to them in the song ("Losing My Mind") they sound great. Many of the songs' lyrics deal with the bittersweetness of relationships in that quintessential Cranberries way.

The live tracks (on the MP3 version of the album that I bought) are a real contrast with the slick studio work, but it's great to hear O'Riordan interacting with the audience, and the live reaction to classics like "Animal Instinct" and "Shattered".

I would make one negative comment on the production though - the bass on a few tracks can feel overwhelming, and most of the songs do sound like they're heavily compressed (for those unfamiliar with this, Google for "loudness war"). Maybe I'm just getting old...

All in all though, a great addition to my collection.
on 28 October 2013
With a more mature sound, this album is completely different from all their previous releases, excellent choice for listening during the winter, not their best album but still something for all the hardcore collectors, glad that they decided to have a vinyl release!
on 1 March 2012
At last - it was worth the 11 year wait. I really missed these guys as nobody has ever come close to recreating their type of music. The sound and style are as great as before!
on 18 July 2015
I absolutely adore Dolores voice and the music the cranberries produce. This album is NO let down and I have been constantly playing it since it arrived. I have all their back catalogue , I dont know why it took me soo long to purchase Roses but it was defiantly worth the wait.
on 22 April 2012
This new album of The Cranberries is rooted in the sound of their first two albums from nearly twenty years ago: "Everybody Else is Doing It..." and "No Need to Argue". If you're a previous fan of the band, then it really depends on what era of theirs you prefer to gauge whether or not you'd be enthused by this: if, like me, "To the Faithful Departed", or even one of the later albums, is your favourite, then this won't excite you. However, it seems that most fans prefer the first two albums' slightly softer, folkier material to the more rock driven "...Faithful...", so it seems like this will be a crowd pleaser. An why not?: it's melodic, pleasant, full of good tunes and a strong performance from the band...just your own personal taste to factor in...
on 10 December 2012
Roses - a new album by the Cranberries. Not what most people are used to hear from them, but I like it very much. Together with the live CD (Live in Madrid) was this a very good bargain. Don't hesitate to buy this product if you want a new album and a live CD at the same time and for a very little price!
on 11 November 2012
The instant I saw the LP listed it made it into my must buy list. It was the first time I went to buy an LP and had mixed feelings about it. However when the item arrived I was just amazed. The packaging was great, the cover, the internal sleeve, and the sound was simply fantastic. Hearing the album from the LP had a different feeling than hearing it from the cd. In my opinion it is a must buy for all Cranberries fans.
on 20 April 2012
Great to hear their new release. As good as ever, if not better. You have the advantage of getting a 2nd CD from their live tour. Lovely to hear the raw sound of a totally professional group who can perform as well live as in the studio.
on 14 August 2014
Being a fan of this band for decades I must say I am disappointed at this last record. All the songs sound the same, lyrics are boring......