5.0 out of 5 stars For all Mankind
Published on 21 July 2009 by Nicholas Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema Version]
I first saw this documentary when it was aired on the BBC in 1989. I found it visually and audibly stunning. Luckily, I videoed it at the time and was able to enjoy this masterpiece time and time again.

Published on 12 May 2011 by alan sparkes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For all Mankind, 21 July 2009
I find this compelling. It preserves and communicates all the feelings and emotions of the astronauts on the hazardous Apollo missions better than any other film has. They tell the story, as it happens, through their own "home video" taken throughout all the Apollo missions. It's an irony that we've become so familiar with the jerky, spontaneous style of home recording recently- a result of You Tube, mobile phones and films like Cloverfield. This film made use of the intimacy of this style long before any of those were around.

I first saw this documentary film when it was screened on the BBC around the time of the 20th anniversary of the moon landings in 1989. I recorded it on videotape and watched it over and over again throughout my late teenage years. Unfortunately, my life moved on and the VHS format became obsolete. By the time I finished university, my parents had thrown it away. So, now I'm reserving a DVD copy and expect to be hooked all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Document, 21 Nov 2009
Having seen a larger number of documentaries and series on the moon landings , this is by far the best. The primary reason being the rare footage , the perfect quality of picture and sound, the music by Bryan Eno fits simply perfectly. When Eagle 1 ( of the Apollo 11 mission) leaves the moon surface the only background sound is 'Ascent ' by Bryan Eno, these 2 minutes or so is probably the climax of the approach this dvd has : less narrative and more music, footage taken from the astronauts not previously seen in other documentaries. In my opinion for this scene only its worth having this dvd. Apart from this scene, other footage is breathtaking and I recommend this dvd to anyone who has an interest to mankind's greatest achievement to date perhaps

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest you'll get to being there, 10 Jan 2010
I've been looking for a copy of this ever since I dumped my old VCR - along with an old VHS recording - and figured I'd take a punt on the Blu-Ray version as it wasn't much more than the standard DVD.

Having seen some other supposed HD documentaries covering this period I wasn't holding out much hope for more than a cleaned up video transfer but Criterion have done a stunning job here - this has to be the best quality I have seen of the Apollo era. Obviously there is some low quality footage - in particular from some of the on-board handheld cameras & TV transmissions but for the most part everything else is superb (presumably much coming from the 16mm scientific camera's that most missions carried).

For All Mankind presents the Apollo story in a unique way - bringing together clips from all the missions to combine and tell the story in the form of a single trip to the moon and back. Accompanied by occasional inciteful quotes from the Astronauts involved and underscored by Brian Eno's wonderfully atmospheric soundtrack this is a 79 minute journey that you really feel you are accompanying those 24 fortunate men on.

If you are looking for a documentary with in depth narration then look elsewhere you won't find what you are looking for here - there are countless formal documentaries out there (try NASA's Greatest Missions as a start).
For All Mankind is something else - a grand story told as such - and that's what makes it so special.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: For All Mankind (Masters of Cinema) [Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD] [1989] (Blu-ray)
This is a spectacular documentary film. Chronicling the events that occurred during the Apollo missions. Showcasing the greatest achievement that man has ever undertaken, landing on the surface of another world. It is accompanied by the brilliant work of ambient artist Brian Eno (formerly of Roxy Music), creating soundscapes that make you feel as you're floating in space with the astronauts. If you're looking to understand, or you already understand, just why the Apollo missions were so important for humanity. Then I advise you watch this. If you're a moon landing conspiracist or against the NASA budget. Then I would advise something more to your taste- such as Ancient Aliens or recordings of most Republican TV show hosts.

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone interested in NASA and Space Exploration, 30 Dec 2009
Over the years I have watched and owned many of the various DVD, and now all the Blu Ray, releases of documentaries on Space Exploration and this really is a phenomenal docu/film. As has been stated by other Amazon buyers, the NASA's Greatest Missions boxset on Blu Ray is a superb record of NASA's achievements but, apart from some of the shuttle footage, it doesn't really benefit from the Blu Ray format: For All Mankind is a totally different story! The quality is truly breathtaking. Having wanted the Criterion region A version since release I was thrilled to see the same version being released in the UK by Masters of Cinema. The film footage has been scanned from the, unfrozen, original NASA film archives with eye-popping clarity. This coupled with the candid interview dialogue track from 20 of the 24 Apollo Astronauts has created a cinematic tour de force. If you are at all interested in Space Exploration this is by far the most accessible and visually stunning of any Blu Ray or DVD release you can buy on the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema Version], 12 May 2011

However, in time VHS gave way to DVD and I was no longer able to enjoy it. Recently, I was delighted to buy the Masters of Cinema DVD version and eagerly sat down to watch it at home.

Sadly, I was hugely disappointed, as for some reason, parts of the music backing have been changed from the original.

If you were to watch this documentary for the first time, this change would not be a problem, because the film is still compelling, in my opinion. However, if like me, you had grown used to the version aired in 1989, you might be as disappointed as me.

For me, the music tied in beautifully with the visuals and I want that version again. Also, on many occasions, when the original music is used the volume is very much lower, so that it is a barely audible background.

Very, very disappointed. If anyone knows of a DVD with the original broadcast soundtrack, please let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Space "Movie" stands the test of time..., 18 May 2010
Patrick Selitrenny (Switzerland a.k.a. Helvetia Felix) - See all my reviews
This documentary is, believe it or not, already twenty-one years old. How time flies...
Made sixteen years after the last Apollo mission was flown (I consider the Spacelab Missions as being a further stretch of the Apollo Program, just like the Apollo-Soyuz Mission being originally named "Apollo 18"), this is a complex "collage" of all the Lunar Apollo Missions ever flown (from Apollo 8 to Apollo 17 - I don't think I have spotted any material from Apollo 7, but I may be mistaken).

What is celebrated here, is not A single mission, but the entire development of the program. Therefore, many segments jump from mission to mission, choosing the best ever filmed material, in order to form one single mission.

The whole work is accompanied by the actual soundtrack of comments and communications made during the missions, together with a very well chosen music track by Brian Eno. Never overbearing, this musical compilation appears discreetly throughout this relatively short documentary.

What it does achieve, in the end, is to recreate the feel and the ambiance felt by those who lived these missions at the time they were flown.

This is truly a tiny masterpiece in the documentary genre.

This DVD is never boring. Moreover, it has some very poignant and emotionally charged moments and the images are strikingly vivid and clear.

Originally released by Criterion in the United States, this DVD also includes new interviews with the Film maker and the custodian of the NASA film vaults.

Well worth watching and highly recommended by someone who knows something about the Apollo Missions...

5.0 out of 5 stars What a trip, 19 May 2013
T. Smith - See all my reviews
This is wonderfully put together. The quality of the blu-ray edition lets you feel the proximity of all the history recorded by these amazing, brave adventurers. It's an essential purchase for anyone who has an interest in those great Apollo missions. The central conceit of amalgamating the footage from the missions into a single journey worked well for me - far better than I suspected it might. What a brilliant idea to give the astronauts cameras to capture whatever they felt like recording - when their work schedule allowed them the opportunity to. A bit of artistic licence amid a vast technological undertaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes us think, 2 Nov 2010
Mr. D. Roy (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
A very well made high quality documentary with the most stunning material ever brought together.The footage of the orbit which clearly shows footage of camp fires in n africa is beyond description. Im buying more copies for christmas gifts as they are a must have for anyone.
Throughout the entire dvd is breahttaking non stop thought provoking comments by the astronaughts.The computer technology used would stretch beyond a calculator used today. As i sit on a sony laptop dual cpu loads ram many thousands perhaps milloin times more powerful than used on the early apollo missions.I read and watch loads of dvds mostly physics,nuclear tests,trinity and beyond,the manhattan project but rate this one as no 1. The picture of Earth from the Moon is one ive seen on my i touch and is awesome
Make me think Are We Alone?

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 30 Oct 2010
P. J. Beaver (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Right from the start this is a fantastic and fascinating film. The images left me almost breathless. The soundtrack is haunting and beautiful. The absence of 'talking heads' leaving only images from the time makes it far superior to other films on the topic. In fact its up there on my list of best movies ever, of any genre. Be aware that some of the images are grainy, and a few very much so. That did not detract for me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›