5.0 out of 5 stars money very well spent!
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Paul J. Bristow

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was unlucky
I do have have an Archos 48 on which I store dozens of videos. However I wanted a larger display and so I ordered one of these. After looking through the specification I bought a micro sd card because of the number of films that I have. Oh how I was disappointed because the first unit would not allow the micro sd card to 'latch' in place. I have read another review in...
Published on 3 April 2012 by Mr. Dag Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars money very well spent!, 8 Feb 2012
Paul J. Bristow "Bargainmercenary" (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storage Options 54585 Scroll Excel 7-inch Android 4.0 ICS Capacitive Touch Screen Tablet (Personal Computers)
After trawling hundreds of reviews over 4 weeks i decided to take the plunge with this bit of kit..........so glad i did! It does exactly what it says. Fast, reliable, clear screen. HD and 3D playback is amazing. Battery life is 6-7 hours browsing with wifi on. Wifi picked up 27 meters away. Hint: go into settings, tick "hidden google apps" sign in to google. Go to your home screen, press and hold, tap apps and voila! The Android Market, all of it! Bonus :) Seriously, if you are looking for a budget tablet that does far far far more than it should and does it seamlessley and well......then this is the one for you. Oh and You tube, BBCi player, already installed and work perfectly as does the pre installed google browser. Really can not find any faults. One small reccomendation, buy an sdhc micro as well, mine runs perfectly on a 16gb sandisk :):)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scroll Excel 7" Android Touch Screen tablet Review., 5 Feb 2012
"QuickBrew" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am delighted with my purchase of the Scroll Excel which I have had now for just over a week.
These are the things I have done with it in that week...after an initial long and patient full battery charge.

EDIT JUNE 2012: Parts of this review are no longer relevant to the current Scroll Excel as it now has a different specification and an extra 4 Gig of storage. The new Excel (Scroll Excel 7'' Tablet A4.0) now comes with ICS 4.0.3 stock ROM whereas the following review is about the 2.3.4 Gingerbread model. I have to say that ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich - or android 4.0.3) is much better than the earlier Gingerbread OS.

As time has passed the price of the Excel has dropped and the specification has gone up, so I definitely think it is very good value for money. However, the stock Rom is not optimised out of the box as it includes a lot of dead information about Phone text/SMS/GPS none of which is available in the hardware. This why I joined a forum dedicated to the Scroll range of tablets and have now upgraded my Excel using a custom built ROM ICS 4.0.4 which I am very happy with.

If I didn't already have an Excel then I would definitely buy one.

THE FOLLWING IS AN OLD REVIEW ABOUT THE ORIGINAL SCROLL EXCEL WITH 4GIG RAM AND GINGERBREAD ANDROID 2.3.4 - END OF EDIT #AUGUST 2012#

1. Put a tick in the box in the settings menu to unlock the 'hidden Google app'.
2. Gave a long press on the home-screen to bring up the menu and chose widgets
and then chose market. This gave me access to the Android Market.
3. Downloaded loads of free apps.
4. Played for hours discovering that not all free apps are worth having.#they are often badly
behaved, a security risk and keep showing you many adverts#
5. Watched MKV HD movies I installed onto a mini SDHC card which I put into the Scroll.
6. Watched BBC Click on the BBCi player catchup TV.
7. Installed and played an HD app called "Ashphalt" which is a racing game - this blew me away as
I never truly expected the Scroll Excel to be able to handle the demanding Graphics processing
but I was wrong and the game played faultlessly.
8. Installed an Android Firewall and Antivirus.
9. Accessed and interacted with my "Facebook" account - the Scroll audibly alerted me to comments
whilst it was turned on even when I wasn't on Facebook #just like a smartphone does#
10. Accessed my "Youtube" account and played some videos.
11. Found a GPS app #"1click direction"#which picks up your present location using WIFI and allows
you to key in a destination and then downloads directions to your destination and speaks the
route and instructions to you using the built-in Android text to voice routines.
Not quite a full Sat Nav but very impressive none-the-less.
12. Installed a local weather app which is very useful and graphically pleasing.
13. I have used the Scroll Excel with a wallet keyboard as sold on amazon from a third party
supplier. There are some potential issues with 3rd party keyboards I will explain later.
14. I have successfully connected my Scroll to my PC using the supplied lead - where it is seen as
a mass storage device allowing you to load and remove files/folder/films etc.

I must give the Scroll Excel a full 5 stars even though it is not totally faultless - but even with some minor niggles that are likely be sorted out by "Storage Options" in the future, this little Tablet really packs a punch for the remarkable pricepoint of £130.00 at which I would recommend it without question.

Due to the huge success of the Scroll Excel after being spotlighted on channel 5's Gadget Show it has been difficult for supply to keep up with demand and it has become evident since Christmas that there is a minor issue with streaming video lip-sync which is being looked into - and since Christmas the system build has been updated but the lip-sync problem remains. This is not extreme and does not prevent you keeping up with what is going on at "BBC News 24" live streaming video #as an example#.

My Excel came with Flash 10.2 installed but "Adobe" have since released Flash 11 and you can choose to freely upgrade to this if you wish. I have personally found the lip-sync problem worse on BBCi recordings than on live broadcasts but as I say this is a niggle rather than a fault and may simply be the result of a rushed unoptimised system build which I hope may likely be soon fixed with a firmware update. EDIT: Storage Options have announced there will be no firmware fix for the lipsync issue - So much for aftersales support....? END EDIT

EDIT 2: I have since joined a forum and upgraded my Excel to Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.4 which is an optimised unofficial ROM. #Doing this invalidates your warranty# This is now like a difffrent tablet and I am extremely pleased with the results. The current Excel now comes with ICS 4.0.3 but the rom is still not well optimised. However, this is a cracking little tablet for modding and Cyanogen Mod and Scrolltabletforum both have roms for the Allwinner A10 Cortex 8 based tablet. END EDIT.

Regarding using a wallet keyboard: The UK marketting supplier "Storage Options" offer such a wallet keyboard on their website and Amazon also offer 3rd party wallet keyboards which look identical for a third of the price of the official one. I have firsthand experience that unless you have the OTG #On The Go# adaptor lead that ships with the Excel - and that if you try to use an ordinary mini usb adaptor to connect one of these 3rd party keyboards #many of which come with a full sized usb connector# that they wont work on the Excel unless you use the OTG lead. As the Excel's little brother the Scroll Essential doesn't come with a supplied OTG lead some purchasers have had problems.

Having bought a 3rd party wallet-keyboard through Amamzon #linked to the Scroll advertising# I have discovered that I don't really need it other than it is useful to transport and protect the Scroll.
The Android on-screen keyboard is very easy to use even with my fat fingers. My 3rd party wallet-keyboard has the full-sized usb connector #too big to fit the Excel#but it does work through the Scroll Excel bundled OTG adaptor - but this is an ugly and bulky solution and you can't leave it connected and still close the case properly. Unfortunately after buying and trying 2, I discovered the keyboard will not work using a proprietory mini usb adaptor - which sticks out even more.

If you are a "Windows" user who #like me# has never used Android before, then be prepared to become aquainted with a very unruly operating system. The "Excel" currently uses the Gingerbread 2.3.4 variant which like its android predecessors and the later Honeycomb and Ice cream Sandwich android variants, start and run applications, gobling bandwidth, battery resources and generally try to slow things down without a by your leave - if you don't keep them under control. This is endemic with smartphones and other android devices. So be prepared to learn and find out how to get the best out of your "Excel" rather than complain when you fill it full of cheap apps which hog all the memory and processor power and stall things.

5 stars for the Excel. No stars to Google for not licensing such a worthy machine for it's apps Market - but using work-arounds the Android Marketplace is available on the Excel - you just have to do a bit of work to get there.

Finally, if you are completely new to Android be aware of the outrageous permissions you will need to allow some apps to download them for free. Some blatantly ask permission to write to and alter the system files. So be warned, especially if you use the tablet to access on-line accounts such as Amazon themselves, where you will need to give your security details. Many people will relax their vigilance on a Tablet, thinking it little more than a games toy, but you can all to easily allow it to do a lot of damage to your on-line identity and standing if you do not maintain a sensible level of safety and security. Free aps galore will temp you to say yes and simply click the accept button but remember if its too good to be true it probably is a scam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be more pleased with the Excel, 18 Jan 2012
My 10 year old son realised that an iPad was beyond reach and after the gadget Show review, wanted the Excel. What a great choice! I can't fault this tablet - the screen is clear and very reactive and accurate to touch; only once in 4 weeks of intense gaming, has it slowed down - that turned out to be due to the fact that about 30 games were still open! And it was very easy to kill them off, with the Kill App icon on the home screen. After we worked out how to enable Android MP, there has been no stopping him downloading apps. iPlayer and YouTube work well and he can watch films comfortably.

My most sincere congratulations to Storage Options for developing a great tablet at a superb price - a British triumph!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Easy to Use Tablet, 19 Jan 2012
Bought this so I could lounge on the sofa and surf the web, whilst my son is on our pc. Ideal, not too big, downloaded books from Kindle, games, facebook etc no problem at all. Surfs fairly quickly. Play games that need a good responsive touch screen and it seems to cope really well. Bargain price and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a tablet to do the easier applications on. Built in camera isn't too good but i'll never use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannot use Skype, 29 Dec 2011
N. Oo (UK) - See all my reviews
The tablet was delivered fast and I really like playing with it in the last few days. But it does not support Skype and when i installed it it crashed the camera. I had to uninstall Skype and the camera functioned again. It does not synchronise emails automatically. The screen is sensitive and overall performance is good. For the price it is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scroll Excel 7 inch, 15 Feb 2012
Mr. J. Watson (Pembrokeshire UK) - See all my reviews
First tablet I have owned, at the sale price £129.99 did not expect much, but thought I would give it a try, so glad I did. Outstanding graphics, a lot of apps from Android Apps once set up, good battery life, had it for a month and can't fault it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Skype Camera., 12 Jan 2012
Brought this for my wife for christmas, she was very pleased with it and it did everything we expected except - skype will only work on phone calls, no video link. I checked this with Storage Options support and they confirmed it was not compatible, 1st disappointment! A few days later I inserted the SD Micro card I had bought to increase the memory, it would not stay in. I contacted Storage options support and was told I should send it back for repair, but I would be responsible and would have to pay for the postage etc, 2nd dissapointment. The form/info they sent me regarding the return was not usable, I emailed them back 4 days ago and am still waiting for a reply.

Having said all this it is a good little product and the touch screen and graphics are great, bit disppointed to return it. No bones to pick with amazon's service at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scroll excel 53715, 31 Jan 2012
J. Hardington - See all my reviews
Smart unit. If you have an android phone you will have no problems navigating the settings or screens. Set up Android market and away you go. Camera function is poor but the true gem of this gadget is the screen size, large enough to surf the web or play games but small enough to fit my handbag. Result.

5.0 out of 5 stars scroll excel review, 1 Mar 2012
I am totally delighted with my purchase of the Scroll Excel 53715. I read up on various bargain tablets before going with the Excel. It is my first tablet and it certainly does everything it says on the box. Set-up couldn't be easier. I bought a 32gb micro card because I thought I would be able to transfer HD content from my computer to the SD card and then load it into the tablet and play through my Smart TV. Everytime I try to copy HD films to the micro card I get message content is too large for the file destination. Am I doing something wrong. Reading through the Excel reviews other people seem to have been able to copy HD films. This is not the tablets fault.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK so far (So much better now), 26 May 2012
I have now had my Scroll Excel for just over a month let me start by saying the obvious, you get what you pay for. At this price I wasn't expecting much and to be honest I was initially presently surprised at how good it was.

I was looking to buy a Kindle but then realised for a few pounds more I could have a tablet that I could use for browsing, emailing and watching films on so I bought the Scroll Excell.

Lets start with the problems. I am unable to get any micro SD card to stay in the slot. As I am unlikely to use this facility I have decided to keep it with this fault, it has been noted that other reviewers have had this problem. P.S I have now found a comment on one of the reviews that indicated that you need to use the tip of your finger nail to press the card in. This does work.

Since Android is Linux based system I was expecting it to be stable. Unfortunately, at least on this device, it is no more stable than Windows and crashes on a fairly regular basis. Don't be put off too much by this because like every other device I have I do tend to run it beyond the point at which it was designed to run.

Within a week of having it it decided it had, had enough of me messing around with it and reset itself so I had to start all over again, not a real problem because I was thinking of doing this anyway.

Within about another week I had a more serious problem and I don't think I am the only one that has had this problem. The device once again decided that it had, had enough, and started to reset. It would get to displaying the Scroll logo screen then switch off and restart without getting any further. I eventually managed by pressing a combination of the on/off and volume button to get it to launch into a terminal. From there again using the volume button to scroll up and down the options and the on/off button to choose the restart option I managed to get it started.

Then decided that I was just going to put the absolute necessary applications on & not bother with the rest. After doing this so far I have not had any problems. Occasionally it does crash but then just restarts as usual.

The only other problem I have is that my wife is complaining that I am never off the thing and wishes she had never let me buy it. Yes we all know who the boss is.

Now for the good things. As I said I originally got this because I was thinking of getting a Kindle one of the first things I did was load the Kindle app. This works like a dream. I can now read any of my books anywhere I like.

Then I bought a mini HDMI connector to try the facility to view my tablet on the TV. To do this I loaded the BBC i player once again worked like a dream, the instructions say that the tablet screen will blank out once the HDMI cable is connected on my device it doesn't, again not really a problem.

Although I have tried both Firefox & Dolphin browsers I have decided to stick with the browser supplied as it tends to crash less than the others & is almost as good as far as functions go, once you get use to it.

I am now using Google mail & calendar as I can use these on either my tablet, desktop & indeed at work. I must admit that I was not keen on using everything Google but as you have to log onto Google play using a Google mail address it seemed logical to do it.

So what applications & why:-

1) Already mentioned Kindle
2) Already mentioned BBC I player (well everybody has to have this?)
3) Calender (the installed one) although I can view my calender from the Google web page this app gives you more options for setting events.
4) Dolphin Browser. Have tried most browsers I find this one the best can just talk to it to find what you want. I like the tab's arrangement as well.
5) File Manager (Rhythm Software). I found the installed file manger a bit awkward this one allows me to move files around & log onto my network so that I can use & copy files from my network drives.
6) Gmail app for my emails. Very easy to use and set up.
7) ITV player. OK if you go to [...] it will tell you that it is not compatible with the Scroll. Find somewhere to download ITV_Player_1.0.0.apk and download it. Before you install it install Adobe AIR, available on play, it then works.
8) Kingsoft Office use it to view & create documents while on the Scroll, I am using it to do this review prior to copying it onto Amazon.
9) BSPlayer, have moved from Mobo player as this one allows me to view files on my shared drive.
10) Skype yes you can have it on your tablet & yes it does work, just bare in mind that if you want to use the video then you will have to have a strong WiFi signal.

In conclusion then it is not a perfect device but over all I have been very pleased with it. I can imagine that if some people had got my one they would have probably sent it back because of the faults on it. I didn't basically because I am lazy & can't be bothered & because I like a bit of a challenge when it comes to my gadgets. However I think that if I do get any more serious problems it might be going back. I'll keep you to date.

21 June 2012
As promised I said I would keep you up to date. Having had a further problem (with the HDMI connection) I decided to return the original unit. Amazon were great agreed to send me a replacement and allowed me to keep the faulty one until I got the new one, they also sent it next day delivery.

Now I am the proud and happy owner of a unit with Android 4 operating system. This system seems to be more reliable & so far I have not had the same system crashing problems I had with the original one.

I have also changed some of the applications I use to take advantage of the new system. I have amended these in the original comments.