5.0 out of 5 stars Abus Tough Lock - 15 security rating
The usual great Abus solidity. And it is the highest security rating - 15 - as I had hoped and expected but not (strangely) mentioned in the writeup. Especially effective with one through the frame and one through the front wheel. A good price and a very speedy delivery. Weight is the only drawback but that's the price you pay to keep the loathsome scumbags away (yes - I...
Published on 5 April 2011 by Hamnix Felix Toe

1.0 out of 5 stars Secure, but lock mechanism eventually seized
Very secure lock, bracket to attach to a bike worked quite well. However, after 18 months the lock mechanism started to seize. Lubrication with WD40 hasn't helped. Often very difficult or impossible to unlock the bike, or put the shackle back in the lock and remove the key. The bolts that extend to keep the shackle in place seem to be the problem as they get stuck...
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Matt Gloss

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product but expensive, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
Great lock but expensive although you do really need a good lock. Fairly weighty but thats a good thing. Enough room to get my frame locked to fences etc.

Knocked a star off as (Probably common with all these type of locks) the bracket for holding it to the bike frame is pretty rubbish. Just couldnt find a good place to mount it. Pretty much have to carry it in a backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abus Granit-54 X-Plus 30cm, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
An amazing lock. It's very solid and a little on the heavy side, but for the security it offers, it is well worth it. The locking mechanism feels very precise and smooth. Overall it feels of a very high quality and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have relied on the Abus Granite for years, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
Its worth every penny. I have had 2 bikes nicked since I bought my first one, both on days I had fotgotten this beast at home. I have left my bikes in high theft areas well locked with this to something pretty beefy and a smaller Dlock on the front wheel and never had a moments doubt it would be there in the morning. Its not unbreakable and I know that one day someone will get through it, but I reckon there will always be a less well protected bike out there than mine when they come hunting for something to nick.

I does weight a bit but that weight just feels safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please invest in a good lock, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
I had my bike stolen a couple of weeks ago and as anyone will tell you who's experienced this, it's not nice. It's left me feeling really down to be honest. Shocked even. Like a lot of people I'd put my faith in a ten quid supermarket lock, as I rather innocently thought that no one would nick my bike. I've now paid the price for this naievity. Please don't buy a cheap lock, it's just not worth it. After reading all the reviews I opted for this Abus lock and it looks very impressive I must say. Of course, I suppose the proof will be if I don't get my next bike nicked. Nothing's completely secure as we all know, but I'll certainly feel more confident with this lock and just wish I'd bought it before. I don't think it's that heavy and it looks very neat. I've bought the slightly longer one to give me that little extra reach around posts etc. I've also invested in some cycle insurance, only 4 quid a month and wish I'd done that before as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this with a krypton it cable. Really didn't ..., 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
Got this with a krypton it cable. Really didn't want my pedersen bicycle nicked - invested too much time and effort in building it. Now I feel confident in riding it out and locking it up. Yeah it's heavy but so would getting it nicked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built like a tank, 3 Nov 2012
D. Jones (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
My insurance company demanded that I get this lock for my bike before providing cover.

Having searched the Internet for the best price Amazon were of course the cheapest by a long shot.

What needs to be said about the lock?! It's impressively strong and sturdy and has obviously passed lots of quality control tests to earn its 'Gold' standard award. It is fairly heavy though so you may want to think about that if you're travelling any distance.

i opted for the 30cm version to give me that extra reach when chaining my bike to posts etc.

The lock fits back together no matter which way round you hold it (my other Abus lock doesn't) so I'm very happy about that. No more fiddling about trying to figure out which end fits in which.

A nice touch is the keys which have a little blue L.E.D light built in to the fob. Very handy for seeing what you're doing when opening the lock in dark places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection and carry weight, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
An excellent compromise of carry weight (portability) vs protection. Personally, I wound't use a D-lock with any less security pedigree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality as always with Abus, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
This is my second one. The first is in the sea! Excellent quality as always with Abus. Buy with confidence you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life lesson, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
I've just given one of these, together with a 7ft Kryptonite kryptoflex, my 19 year old son, who is off to university, telling him that one of the most important life lessons he'll learn is how to secure a bike. I sense that he thinks I've gone over the top: the D lock is too heavy, he complains, and the flex too long. 'It's too much hassle'. So I've tried to convey what a hassle it is to have your bike nicked, to find yourself transportless, to have to rearrange all your plans, to find out about public transport in a city you're not too familiar with, and, most of all, to make an insurance claim, (contact the police, give descriptions, wait and phone and phone again, and wait and argue etc etc). I still don't think it has sunk in. But I'm confident that I've done my best as a mum getting him this gear. Where did I first hear about it? I think it might have been via the Guardian cycle blog then London Cyclist. It's what I use and I wouldn't want any less for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid looking lock., 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Sports)
Good solid lock, no one has nicked my bike yet either! Easy to open and lock. It does what it does, well.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›