4.0 out of 5 stars Works eventually then good
Published 18 months ago by Mr. Terence Gibson

I have a 4 bedroom house with an attic conversion and my office and router are in the attic. I find that my wireless signal is weak on the ground floor, especially in my lounge so I looked at the Powerline range.

Published 21 months ago by Demo

4.0 out of 5 stars Works eventually then good, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender (Accessory)
I bought this product for wireless extension in a house with all brick walls where my BT hub3 gave no signal at all to a room.This review is purely about the success of getting wi-fi remote from BT hub and how it works with existing TP-Link equipment using ethernet connections. I had used TP-Link AV500 powerline adapters to get my sky box on internet without any trouble and very quick & easy to achieve. I had tried wi-fi boosters to extend wi-fi to phones and tablets with poor results - they do not work in my solidly built brick house.
After some difficulties not getting results following installation guide I put the TL-WPA281 in same room and double power socket as BTHub3 and connected 281 via ethernet cable to spare ethernet port on BThub. ONLY THEN was I able to satisfactory configure the device, with security password etc, with the resource cd in my computer. I followed up instructions to connect to wireless network for my windows 7 PC.
Repositioning the wireless extender 281 in far room I could see I had an excellent wi-fi signal but could not get it to connect to network. I only had LEDS 1 & 4 on. (Power & WiFi). LED 2 powerline was off and LED 3 Ethernet was off, but not bothered about that as only interested in connecting via wi-fi. I tried numerous attemps to pair without success. The breakthrough was pressing the wi-fi button at LED 4, not well described in instructions, for over 5 secs to switch the blinking wi-fi signal off then I could establish the powerline network by the pairing buttons. Now by pressing wi-fi button at LED 4 I got it to work.
I have now an excellent wi-fi signal for phones and tablet devices and it does not cause any problems with original network of ethernet internet & sky box.
Persevere and it will come good. Hope this helps someone as I was thinking I had wasted yet more money trying to extend wi-fi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and brilliant wifi extention via power line, 31 Mar 2012
L. David "DL" (UK) - See all my reviews
I live in a large and rather long flat with a lot of concrete in it. My Virgin-media connection is at one end any my bedroom is at the other. The Virgin supplied wifi router is not powerful enough to reliably reach from one end to the other and it is far to complicated to move it or to run a network cable.

I already use a TP powerline extender for my printer and TV so i decided to risk trying the TP Link powerline Wifi access point. I am not sure why I waited so long to try this device... it is really so simple, even with the very poor wiring in my flat.
Steps:

1) I took it out of the packet
2) plugged it into the wall in my bedroom
3) press the config button on my exiting access point. (the one connected to the router)
4) walk to my bedroom and press the config button on the wifi access point.
5) wait 10 seconds.... connection made. You now have a LAN connection. (I did not check but i think the wifi was working at this point, but i wanted a secured connection)
6) plug in cable to laptop.
7) type the ip address into internet explorer
8) use the id and password from the instructions
9) put in the name you want to call the wifi access point i.e. "bedroom" and the password. Save.
10) pull out the net work cable.... and there you have it.

3 minutes from start to end. The enclosed one page instructions tells you in pictures how to do it all.... really it could not be simpler.

I should add here that if you know what you are doing there are several nice options on the device. You can choose the operating band (i wanted N as it does not get the interference from the neighbors that the other bands do) and also the power output (Low,med,high). This is great if you only want the signal in a small area to not interfere with the rest of your flats connection.

I cannot say how impressed I have been with the simplicity and reliability of the TP Link equipment that I have purchased. I run my Blueray player, TV, PC and Printer on TP-Link powerline extenders and it really has been an install and forget piece of hardware. If it lasts 4-5 years until the next round of technology I will be a very happy customer. I feel the price for what I have got is really good. So much simpler than trying to install a wired net work or worse trying to move my Virgin Cable connection.

3.0 out of 5 stars TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point, 5 Nov 2012

After reading all the reviews I decided to buy this one as it appeared to be the best make. I kept reading about it's fantastic range but I read this wrong and thought it meant the wireless range not thinking that they just mentioned the range over the household wiring and would omit the vital bit of information which tells you its wireless range, I mean I think it a bit odd, don't they expect that people buying a wireless unit will want to know how good its range is?

Anyway my house wiring is top notch because I am an electrician and I like to pay attention to detail, so no dodgy wiring anywhere, I plugged this unit in I found it hit 80% plus in the room with my other Powerline devices and the router which is what you would expect, but it drops as low as 20% in my lounge which I find a bit of a big drop within my own house, it makes me think it would disappear completely if I had even a slightly large house.

I am using the wired Powerline devices for my Sky+ box, I bought the wireless one mainly to give us a nice strong wireless signal to use the laptop and phones on, but when I bought this unit I expected it to improve my wireless signal throughout the downstairs at least if not more not realising another thing they did not mention and that is that it is only capable of giving a wireless signal within the room it is plugged in, i.e. it is quite useless in the next room, yes you could unplug it and take it with you but that was not the idea, I wanted to improve my weak signal in the lounge and downstairs areas in general with this and you really would not realise that it could not do this from everything you read on their site or in the instructions, it basically cannot go through walls, if you do get a signal through the wall it is extremely weak.

Just cannot understand why they could not have made it broadcast a wireless signal like a router does, that would have solved everything. I suppose I could buy a few of them but I don't fancy that idea considering how expensive the wireless ones are, I could think of much better ways to achieve a strong signal downstairs so I don't think I would use this method again now that I have been able to play about with the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extends Wifi Signal or creates a new network..., 29 Mar 2012
Extends wifi signal perfectly - make sure you rename the SSID to match your existing router's and also match the passwords.

Great stuff TP link.

for Mac users like me to set up you don't need the disc - plug into the device via RJ45ethernet cable and go to 192.168.1.1, usernames & pass 'admin' and change your settings to match your current router.

Much better than the Belkin & Cisco wifi range extender I had which were an epic FAIL.

4.0 out of 5 stars powerline and wireless, 27 April 2013
Ian Twist - See all my reviews
works well, bit tricky to add to an existing network as a 3rd wired adapter.
you need a computer with a cd/dvd drive to configure it for wireless.

very easy to pair with an existing tp link pa211, just press pair on the 211 for a few seconds then press pair on this one.
the instructions say you can only pair a maximum of 2 tp link adaptors using the 'pair button', so logically you can only have 2 adaptors in the network, one near the router and the other elsewhere.
however, if you pair the 1st (at your router), then quickly press the pair on this, then pair on a 3rd adaptor (pa211) immediately after, it will allow you to have 3 adaptors in your network.
once paired you just unplug the adaptors and move them anywhere in the house you want them.
i bought this to add wireless in a childs bedroom to the wired network i have had since christmas using the pa211 starter kit.
I found I had to plug this in to a double socket, with another pa211 beside it in order to get all 3 to pair (it took 2 attempts and about 3 minutes for the adaptor near the router to finally pair).

It doesn't have a wps button to pair with your router and copy passwords, so you need to load the mini cd utility disc, then plug the adaptor in to your computer using the Ethernet cable provided and run the utility disc then follow the instruction booklet to set passwords and network name.

Once set up it works well. Unlike other reviewers I can log onto the network in other rooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that easy to set up, 15 Jan 2013
First - it is a great product. I paired this with the 211 (the TP powerline which allows you to plug another product into the wall) and the link worked quite easily.
As the pure powerline ethernet product it is fab. I get 37 mb download through my router direct and I get 37 mb download in the opposite part (and different floor) of the house through the ethernet part of the powerline.
Setting up the Wifi was a bit more tricky. I have a mac and it seems virtually impossible to find the router through a browswer. I kept getting "it works" when I put in the IP address. I phoned customer services and although it took half an hour (they are chinese but admittedly their English is better than my Mandarin) we eventually did it and configured the wifi. They talked me through the steps of manually setting the IP address through the ethernet cable (not using DHCP). Eventually we got there after another half an hour conversation matching my SSID to my original router.
The only issue now with the Wifi is it isn't as seemless as you think. It isn't 1 Wifi broadcasting from 2 places - it is 2 wifis so there is sometimes a drop if you are walking around your house with ipad - it might drop temporarily from one point whilst it picks up from another (assuming you have the same SSID and password). Someone else has suggested here that you make the SSIDs different so you can control which wifi you have manually but I found it so difficult to find the 281 on my browser to configure it I'm unlikely to experiment!
In short - excellent product with an excellent customer service. A bit fiddly to fully set up even if you know what you are talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TL-WPA281 AV200 300Mbps Wireless N Powerline Extender, 15 Mar 2012
Fantastic Product. I already have 4 other TP Link Powerline adapters (non wireless) for 2 x NAS units, 1 HD Media Player and final one for router. Purchased this combi for XBOX via Network and Wireless for Nintendo Wii.

Just Plug in the wall and connect laptop via cable to Config.

step 1 = Input SSID reboot

step 2 = Input Wireless security Key reboot

disconnect laptop Job Done.... 5 bars on wireless and now have my Wii gaming again at the other end of my house away from the router. Joys of spring.

Hint... Argos sell bundle pack for 80 ish ?? better to buy seperate TP-Link TL-WPA281 40 & TP-Link TL-PA211 200Mbps 18

Fab Product

3.0 out of 5 stars TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point, 20 Jun 2013
A. Hooton "Tony_H1" (UK) - See all my reviews
I must admit to being rather disappointed with this product. It was to replace a very old Netgear plug-in wireless extender as I thought I should update. However the range is not as good, in fact it is really only suitable for the room it is in unless it is directly above or below you. As such I had to buy another just to get the same coverage I had with the Netgear.

I also had trouble with it when I tried to use a TP-Link TL-PA511 500Mbps connected to my router and feeding the mains. It will work for a while then any wireless device connected to the WPA281 would lose its IP address and keep trying to re-connect, so had to change the 500Mbps device for a 200Mbps device.

Other than that the setup was easy enough and it works OK but range not great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable. Awful support from TP Link., 19 May 2013
I purchased this product as the WPA281 Starter kit, which came with a TLPA211.

The duo worked with very little problems for about 6 months but I've had no end of problems since then.

The problems began with drops in internet connection despite the adapter still being on the powerline network. Then the adapter began to drop off the powerline network. After numerous factory resets did not fix the problem permanently. I figured the previous one was faulty and since contacting TP Link direct proved impossible, I gave in and purchased a second WPA281.

Similar problems have plagued me for the week I've had the new WPA281. Drops in internet connection, both wired and wireless, as well as random drops in powerline network connection occur upwards of 5 times a day. This happens on both PC and Mac computers. The management utility became useless after about 3 months when it would no longer pick up my adapters from a scan of the network and I needed to fiddle with my computer's ICP to access the web utility instead. Absolute pain.

Since nothing has changed in my electrical wiring or home network setup, I could only assume that the powerline adapters themselves were the cause of my problems. (I have perfect LAN and wifi downstairs where my router is.) I've contacted TP Link for a solution but they haven't been able to provide one. Nor did they seem willing to replace my products under their 3 year warranty.

I'd say give it a miss and go with a more reputable company. Things like this are always bound to have problems and what's the use in buying from a company who don't care about their customer beyond the initial sale? Typical Chinese service it seems. Shame as it worked like a charm when it did work but once it stopped working, there was nothing that could be done to resolve the problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars I think it might be faulty - if not, it's disappointing., 26 Mar 2013
Stan.Stan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this product to get wifi in a bedroom to connect an iPhone iPad or laptop as necessary. I have a Bt home hub 2.

The problem is that although the extender shows up in the wifi networks available my iPhone and iPad often find the connection fails to be made or it can take ages. So much so I've seen me choosing 3G over the extender. Neither of my i gadgets seem to recognise the extender as the stronger signal and connect to it.

All very disappointing as I have the non-wifi version successfully sending a broadband signal to my sky hd box via my home electricity circuit.

I must send it back for an exchange or refund.