5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BlackBerry
I previously had a BlackBerry Curve 8900 and I've spent a lot of time with iOS and Android phones.

Published on 12 April 2012 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone - with some limitations
Bought this phone SIM free, to upgrade from my Curve 9300. It is a nice model, with lots of features and the camera has an LED flash, which takes good pics in low light.

Setup fairly straightforward, with a couple of exceptions:

Published 15 months ago by stevieb60

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BlackBerry, 12 April 2012
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9790 SIM-free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)

When I was choosing my next phone, I was torn between the Bold 9900 and the 9790 - both of which were released around the same time, similar specs etc. In the end I went for the 9790 and have had no regrets. Despite having a slightly slower processor, there is no hint of lag. The camera is better and battery is also better. The only thing is that the screen is smaller however it has the same resolution which means that the 9790 has a higher pixel density.

Build:
When I first received the 9790, I was surprised at how light and well built the phone is. It feels solid in the hand and that's more than I can say for some of the previous BlackBerrys. The rubberised back is nice to hold and ensures your phone won't slip out of your hand. The USB port has been moved to the bottom of the phone which is actually an advantage, this means holding the device is easier if you need to use it whist it's charging. The dock charging points on previous BlackBerrys have been removed so docks will have to use the USB port. The trackpad is very sensitive however there is a slight wobble when you use it, although having read other reviews, I'm assured this is normal. The top "Unlock" button seems to be a little tough and I'm unsure the longevity of the plastic over use; however, for now I'll say it works well.

Screen:
The screen is very responsive to touch and it's sharp with punchy colours. It's also very bright so you may want to turn it down to save some battery. The front of the phone including the screen is one piece of plastic that goes all the way to the top so if you scratch your screen it may be hard to replace. The flush screen means that a screen protector will be very noticable so you may want to invest in case. The screen is actually plastic, not gorilla glass (9900 has glass).

Keyboard:
One of the main reasons to get a BlackBerry is the physical keyboard and the 9790 has one of the best that BlackBerry has ever made. The keys are big and have a reassuring feel to them. It's also quiet, unlike the Curve keyboards which have a loud click with every button press. The keyboard uses the whole width of the phone, right up to the edge. This takes some getting used to but in the end it's been made that way so you have a larger keyboard.

Camera:
It's the same as the 9700. It's not amazing but it's not that bad either. It is fairly slow to focus sometimes but the photos are surprisingly natural. There is a dedicated camera key on the side of the phone but it's not a two stage press so you can't prefocus.

OS:
The OS is great, it's very fast compared to previous BlackBerry OSs and is designed well for the touch screen. I have had this phone over 2 months now and I haven't experienced any lag. It comes with OS7.0 which is good but I encourage you to update to OS7.1. It brings in extra features such as Mobile Hotspot, BlackBerry Tag (extra NFC capabilities) and most importantly it has much better battery life. BlackBerry remains the best operating system for Email and BBM is also great as ever. The web browser is much better than previous BlackBerrys but is still behind Android and iOS in terms of speed.

Cons:
-The battery life isn't great when you first receive it however after a few days it settles down and can easily last a day. It's slightly better than Android and iOS devices but you'd still need to charge it every day. The OS7.1 update has improved the battery life significantly and you can expect around 3-5% an hour drop with average use.
-Although integration is great throughout the phone, the Facebook app (v3.0) is still some way behind the Android/iOS/WP equivalents. The Twitter app is pretty good though.
-The rubberised coating on the back cover of the phone has started to wear off. Particularly in the top left corner and around the headphone and USB port. I guess this is due to the extra usage of those areas such as when you're fumbling to plug in your charger.
-The OS is designed for pure communication function and it's definitely the best OS for it. Email and messaging is far better than any other OS. Entertainment has taken a back seat and as such the media functions aren't as pretty as the other OS alternatives.
-Leading from the last point, the App World has far less apps and entertainment apps than the App Store or Android Play.

Overall I would highly recommend this phone, as long as you know what you're getting. It's the perfect BlackBerry and ideal for those of you who want the best communication device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great smartphone if web browsing isn't a priority, 27 Feb 2012
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Now that RIM are finally making the use of touchscreens viable with their devices, we are starting to see a number of interesting handsets. The problem for RIM has always been how to combine the core functionality of a great keyboard with the heavy demand for touch devices. For me the stand-out device is currently the all touch Torch 9860, which does a better job of presenting a usable touch keyboard than Apple or Google, in my honest opinion. Sadly for RIM one of only a few wins.

This Bold 9790 handset combines the small form factor of the Bold 9700 with a very usable touchscreen. The device is very well designed and looks great, it sits very comfortably in hand. It is incredibly easy to use. The combination of keyboard application shortcuts and touch navigation worked very intuitively. A dream to use. The battery life was also very good in context to modern smartphones. I easily got a day and a half out of it. Although I ended up just charging it at night, it was reassuring knowing if I was late home I wasn't going to be worrying whether I'd have enough juice to phone home.

As with all Blackberry devices I found the call quality to be excellent and the Bold devices have always had great cameras. The 9790 is no exception in this regard. One of my big complaints of the Bold line has been the sloped keys. While these are sloped too, the keys seem to have a wider base which makes them more stable. I didn't struggle with my fingers slipping off the keys anywhere near as much as I have in the past.

The 9790 has one major flaw. The screen resolution is a nice 640x480, but the screen is only 2.5 inches in diameter. This means any web based activities are almost impossible because the text just appears so small. You can of course zoom into the text, but typically I struggled to get a good, readable size. It was a lot of fiddling when I just wanted to read the content.

In summary - I'm a heavy email user with five accounts hooked into my BB. The combination of the keyboard and touchscreen made using the 9790 a joy and increased my ability to get through email and respond in full using the excellent keyboard. I'm also a big Twitter user though and found myself cursing each time I clicked on a link to then find myself struggling to size the content just so I could read it. The high resolution screen combined with it's small size is a big drawback. If you want a keyboard for email and a good screen for web browsing then I would recommend you take a look at the Bold 9900. If you want an all touch device then I recommend the Torch 9860, which is my favourite BB at this time.

I hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Blackberry phones, 16 Feb 2012
I've decided to make a quick review on the Bold 9790.
I'd like to say to begin with, i've never owned a Blackberry handset before although my sister raves about them.

My last three phones were a HTC Hero,iPhone 3GS and a HTC Desire Z. All of these phones were good but since picking up the Bold 9790 yesterday i wondered why i didn't switch sooner.
I know that Android and especially iOS offer a more user friendly, slicker experience. I suppose it's just personal taste and from my own usage of these other phones i've started to dislike touch screen phones and touch screen keyboards especially! I am aware this also has a touch screen but it feels more like a nice extra rather than the focus of the handset.

The Bold 9790 has a really nice feel in your hand, not overly heavy and although it only weighs a mere 107g, because of the dimensions it doesn't feel overly light or cheap either.

Blackberry's os 7 also feel pretty polished and on this handset anyway i've suffered zero lag when navigating which is not something i can say about Android 2.3.
As with all blackberry's (i'm told anyway) e-mailing & texting are handled supremely well, again i'd say it gives the best experence i've had to date.

Quick run down of pro's and cons.

Pro's:
1)Nice size and design.
2)Full qwerty keyboard is excellent.
3)Unfussy os which is smoother than android and at the same time offers more options than iOS.
4)Good battery.
5)Call quality, e-mailing and texting is great.
6)Trackpad is very responsive and accurate to use.
7) Touch screen included.
8) 8GB built-in memory with a micro-sd slot for upto another 32gb.

Con's:
1)Camera is nothing special.
2)Screen maybe alittle on the small size for some. At 2.45" it takes some adjusting to.
3)Blackberry's app world is quite a way behind Apple's app store and the Adroid Market.
4)Built-in web browser is average compared to Apples, Androids.

I won't go into anymore detail as i've not used it long enough yet, but in my opinion if your looking for a new smartphone this is well worth looking at.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone - with some limitations, 21 Jan 2013
stevieb60 (Bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Setup fairly straightforward, with a couple of exceptions:

1. Although the Blackberry Desktop software allows you to transfer all your data and settings, some of the apps lose their settings and in at least one case, the licence key. This has caused some issues and required the repurchase of one of the charged for apps which is vital to me.

2. Although the calendar transferred easily to the 9790, following a back up of the original 9300 data, when I tried to restore the data on the 9300, all the calendar data was lost. ( You might be asking why I needed to restore the 9300 - please read on).

Having set up the 9790 and it was working fine, I realised that I was no longer receiving emails. When I tried to activate the existing emails, the only option available was the Blackberry Enterprise Server. As this is a charged for service, I had no interest in shelling out on some not insignificant expenditure on BES. There was no available internet mail option so that I could get the settings corrected. As it happens, it is not Blackberry's fault.

My 9300 is on a 24 month contract, tied to Virgin and the SIM/phone combination includes settings for VM email. Unfortunately, it is not just a question of swapping out the SIM, as the 9790 tells you to contact your wireless service provider in order to get the correct setup option for email. A review of the VM mobile forums shows that there is no simple answer to this. In the end, I have restored everything back to the 9300 for now (except as detailed above, the calendar data which I had to manually put back - a task taking two or three hours), while I search for a solution.

The purpose of this review is essentially to warn others that moving to an unlocked phone from one locked to your provider, is not as simple as you might think. My reasoning for wanting an unlocked phone was so that when travelling outside the UK, I can buy a local SIM and avoid the still horrendous airtime charges for using a UK service overseas.

If anyone else has tried this method, then please comment on this review.

UPDATE 24/01.2013: 1. Email problem solved - you can do this online at Virgin Mobile and now the 9790 has fully replaced my 9300.

2. The previous reviewer is right about battery life - I am not getting more than a day's use before needing a recharge and that is without making loads of phone calls or taking photos with the inbuilt flash activated. Have therefore ordered a second battery as a standby.

Happier than last week...

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry 9790, 17 Aug 2012
The choice of new phones that are not touch screen is very limited. I have been a Nokia fan ever since mobiles were invented so to have to switch to another brand was tough. I have NOT regretted my switch to blackberry for one second. I love the keyboard and the touchscreen is spot on even though not used very often. The battery unfortunately lasts 24-36 hours depending on usage but this is not uncommon with smartphones. Call quality is good, camera very good and text and email also very good. I really dont have a bad word to say about my berry but am a bit concerned as what to do if it malfunctions within the 2 year warranty as there appears to be NO UK based warranty repairers??? Maybe Amazon will advise of a way ahead in this?

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor device, 15 April 2013
I have now had two of these phones. I returned the first as I thought the issues I was experiencing meant I had a faulty handset, but turns out they come as standard with this model! It is considerably less reliable than previous Blackberries I have owned and another step in the company's slow but steady progress to irrelevency. Some of the main problems include:

- Battery life is shockingly poor. Any moderate usage requires charging several times a day. Even simply having the phone switched on with no usage at all requires a daily charge.

- The phone function is generally unreliable and suffers a number of issues, including periodic failure to dial out, failure to emit the ringtone when receiving a call (not in silent mode, I stress), and failure to get a signal when in an urban area where everyone else's phone on the same network is showing maximum coverage. When you do get through, call quality is nothing to write home about, and worse than on previous BB models.

- The GPS signal is hopeless. Some days the machine just cannot work out where it is, even outdoors with nothing in the way of the signal. Don't even think about relying on Google maps with this model. The in-built Blackberry Maps remains an awful application (and the GPS doesn't work with that either).

- The touchscreen is a waste of time. Not only does the screen on a BB remain so small that effective internet browsing is not really possible, but unforgiveably the screen is unresponsive and sluggish. Sometimes you have to tap several times before it pays any attention, other times it simply freezes up.

- A number of general unreliability issues - keys or the touchpad will randomly stop working, the machine will get stuck in apps etc, necessitating frequent hard resets.

- The BB app store remains a joke compared to its Apple and Android equivalents.

- The camera is terrible.

The only reason I give this phone two stars instead of one is because of the physical keyboard. That is now the only remaining reason why anyone should even consider buying a Blackberry (and even if that is important to you, I wouldn't buy this model). In every other respect, the BB platform now lags so far behind its rivals that it is becoming embarrassing. A real shame when you consider what a trailblazer RIM was in bringing reliable mobile email to the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but manufacturing flaws, 15 Mar 2012
Just received my new bold, all the new features are actually amazing i.e. the touch screen, os7 and an overall faster user experience. The only problem i have is that my trackpad is very loose and makes a lot of noise, it works perfectly but it makes so much noise which has never happend to me with any of my previous bold models i have had. Of course this is not amazons fault it is RIMS's manufacturing fault if any one else has this problem please share your experience with it and let me know but that track pad is so ANNOYING!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as impressed as I had hoped, 17 Mar 2012
Have now had this new Bold 9790 for around 3 weeks now.

Previously had a 9700 and a 9000.

Only chose this model as I found the 9900 to be too large and with a poor camera.

Pro's
*Very light
*Touch screen is a nice addition
*nice camera

Con's
*My "enter" button makes an irritating sound. Middle scroll button also has a creak sound. Very poor quality control from RIM
*OS 7.0 is no major change or improvement from OS6.0
*Battery life is poor. Cannot get a full days use
*Touch screen can be annoying as you often will touch the screen in error.
*Browsing is poor - have to resize and resize constantly

In general, I don't know where Blackberry is going. People speak about their OS 10 phones due to be released at the end of the year, but those will be mainly touch screens. How is that going to compare to iPhone 5 and the newer Androids to be released later this year? Blackberry will not stand a chance. Once the keyboard go's, so will a lot of BB fans

Overall, if you need a new BB now and like a smaller form factor -go for it.

I bought mine sealed for 200. Would not have felt comfortable paying much more and for the first time in many years, I'm really unsure if I will still be using BB in a years time

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say....., 24 Nov 2013
I simply love BlackBerry, especially older models with full set of buttons instead the ones with stupid touch screens. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for my daughter, 26 Jun 2013
Bought this as a replacement for a previous Blackberry. No complaints from my daughter. Does as expected & enables her to stay in touch with friends via BBM

ARRAY(0xb280303c)