5.0 out of 5 stars Bananarama, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
Having buying the album today, it was a well funded purchase. After watching a few interviews and music videos, informing myself of Bananarama's fanbase level; reading that they were featured in the guinness book of world records, all said.
Their videos and catchy pop songs are dominant of an up-beat tone. I am a big 80's fan and came across a few Bananarama songs on a variation of 80's CD's; I liked their sound and lyrics.
As my interest was building, I decided to purchase a CD. How could you not¿ 2 CD's. 31 hits of pure Bananarama fun. Songs that are reminiscent of the decade and the peak of the groups career.
Hits such as Love In The First Degree, I Want You Back, I Heard A Rumour, Movin' On, Venus and Robert De Niro's Waiting. Shy Boy, Rough Justice and Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye. There are so many.... All of them are.timeless pop classics. Gauraunteed to lift your spirits.

Well done Bananarama! Pop-tastic¡

5.0 out of 5 stars bananarama - colection cd (2011 edn), 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
remastered (almost all the) hits package except for the Help charidy single with D.french/J.saunders/K.burke.

includes only one 12" aeiwana extended mix which is a great pity as both CDs had plenty of spare space at the end of each CD to pad out to full 79.99 time available.

nevertheless a VG++ splendid package if you are too cheapskate to buy all the 6 o/s recently remastered albums (+bonus cuts) from years 1979 - 1988 prod by Jolly/swain and then the eternally damnable anti-Christ trio of S/A/W (remember the Spitting Image characture with all 3 heads welded to a single wooden plank with one body, yes.?) - except for the Venus track which is a very good 60's cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent package, 16 Dec 2011
djessie (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
While every Bananarama fan will have all these songs, this is still a good package to have. It comes in a slipcase, the CD's are nice looking picture discs and the booklet has has some notes. This release has tracks from all of the albums while the girls were signed at London records (up until the early 90s), but nothing after that. It would be great to one day get a CD that would also include tracks from their later albums...

Noteworthy about this release is the fact that it includes the 12" version of "Aie-A-Mwana", which has not been released on CD before.

Overall: a cheap and good way to get a large part of their catalog. I also recommend the expanded editions of their albums, these are excellent. There is also a great 3CD out there called "The Works" that should satisfy any casual fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars blast from the past, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
A blast from the past I remember these growing up really good greatest hits album has all the songs unlike some other greatest hit albums

5.0 out of 5 stars Santa Honey, one little thing that I really need - indeed!, 15 Dec 2013
Hal Marshall "I Write Books!" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this fabulous collection of Bananarama songs recently as a Christmas gift for my Best Female Friend but, I think it's fair to say, I am beginning to have some very serious doubts now on that score. Perhaps I'd better rephrase that - I'm desperate to keep this 2 disc set for myself now which, given the fact that my Best Female Friend was most insistent that I should buy it for her, is not going to make me look particularly good. I only wish I could say that I cared, that's all.

I seem horribly unchivalrous I know but, what can I do? The very thought of imprisoning Siobhan Fahey and then tying her up securely with the help of ribbons and tape is just too much for me to be able to cope with... especially when, after all that effort, it wouldn't even be me who got to slowly unwrap her. Goodness - is it me, or is it hot in here?

While I just dwell upon one or two rather interesting mental images for a moment, the short version of this review would like to simply draw your attention to some very important facts in relation to this product;

1. It features 31 Bananarama tracks, including all the classic stuff as well as the quite superb 'Girl About Town'. There's no 'Help!' but, since Siobhan wasn't involved with that one I for one am not too bitterly disappointed. The songs are not in any kind of chronological order though which I do find just a little bit odd: especially with the variety of different line-ups that this band has experienced over the years. Some of us like to study the girls' work in some depth and it is impossible to really get a feel for how Bananarama's sound evolved the way the songs are arranged on these discs.

2. It includes some pretty extensive and very informative sleeve notes worthy of such a collection of musical excellence. They manage to convey very nicely some of the 'fun' of what this awesome band were (and, of course, still are!) all about.

3. It boasts just enough images of these gorgeous ladies for it to be, in my opinion, considered as a work of visual art as well as something approaching musical perfection. It doesn't quite compete on that scale with 30 Years of Bananarama, which includes a DVD of the Nanas' music videos... but since that product costs a fortune compared with this one and only contains a fraction of the music that this collection does, I reckon this one beats that one into a cocked hat (that's good, because I've already got that one and I need very little excuse to be able to justify the requisition of this one to keep it company).

After all, the videos are all pretty easy to find on YouTube and, with modern technology being what it is, it's far more convenient to spend a few hours scrolling through those one-handed from a position of relative comfort than it is to have to position yourself wherever your DVD player should happen to be. Did I say 'one-handed'? Well, yes I did, but I was just showing off about the small size of my handheld entertainment device, that's all. God, my ex-wife would have a field day with that last sentence... I'm talking about my new tablet, for god's sake!

I consider it to be something of a warning sign - if not, in fact, an incredibly bad omen - that the first song on here is 'Love In The First Degree'. I can't shake off something that my Best Female Friend said to me a few weeks ago, around about the time she told me of her hopes of having this product make a special appearance in her stocking come Christmas morning. It was something about her wanting to 'recreate' the official video of that song if I remember rightly, for which she allegedly needed my help. To that end, she made it known to me that she'd just taken delivery of a fancy dress convict costume, similar to the one worn by my Siobhan in that very same video, and that she was prepared to spend a whole night with me (or longer if she was 'so worn out by the experience' that she was 'forced to take a week off work' - whatever THAT means) while endeavouring to use her so-called resemblance to my Siobhan to somehow give me a night I 'would never forget'. I don't know quite what she expected me to do in return but I do know one thing; the only blokes that appear in that video are built like the Chippendales and cheerfully utilise the sort of moves that would have me in traction for months. They might well look good on their hands and knees, thrusting away quite happily in time to the music... I can assure you however, that I most definitely would NOT.

My Best Female Friend has been telling me for the best part of thirty years that she 'looks like Siobhan Fahey', although I can't say that I see any great similarity between them at all really. I mean to say, I've been in love with one of them for the best part of thirty years... and the other one is my Best Female Friend. Anyway, apparently she is rather keen to get her hands on this collection in order to 'try to get closer' to me. And I'm not entirely sure what THAT means either.

If she's talking about having me rather enthusiastically wrestle her to the ground just to get this product off her, then I'm pretty sure I would be able to accommodate that very easily, were I ever selfless enough to want to part from my double discs in the first place. She'd probably enjoy that actually, come to think of it.

That settles it then - this product is going absolutely nowhere!

The Collection
The Collection by Bananarama (Audio CD - 2011)