• Belle

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 November 2011
First of all......................welcome back to Bic - it's been too long!!! Secondly, I need to say that I am a massive Bic fan ever since I first heard Beautiful Collision. Saw her 7 times on her 2006 Birds tour of the UK so if she released an album of her mowing her lawn I'd still buy it and probably give it five stars........or maybe four !

So what is this new album like ? Well, it's more upbeat than anything she has ever done before especially Birds, perhaps reflecting that Bic is going through a very happy, satisfying period of her life. The first two tracks "Tiny Little Piece of my Heart" and "Hello Hello" being particularly radio friendly with the latter being the stronger song and very reminiscent of Blue Blue Heart At the moment, based on a few listens "This Girl's prepared for War" is my favourite track but as with all Bic albums there are no poor songs - she doesn't "do" fillers in my opinion

So, not as raw as Drive, not such achingly beautiful songs as Beautiful Collision and not as poignant an album as Birds but still five stars on it's own merit. Bic does "happy" and I love it

Please buy it and let's give Bic the success in the UK that she deserves
on 29 April 2013
In a word fantastic.
Exquisitely crafted, beguiling album. It contains arguably one of the most perfect singles ever written in 'Tiny Little Piece of my Heart'. What can I say? It is the best Bic album to date and that is high praise given the standard of the others. Saw Bic in concert in London last year and it was a treat, then again the next night performing with Opossum. Different sides to a supremely talented (she is an accomplished drummer as well as making the Rickenbacker sing) and unique performer.
Just buy the album, you won't regret it......
on 12 September 2012
Why do Amazon not list the tracks on every CD available for sale - many do but many don't
I have three of Bic's earlier albums which I love. However, I do like to know what I am buying before I put my hand in my pocket.
I have looked on Bic's website and these appear to be the tracks; but I cannot be sure.
1 Tiny Little Piece of My Heart
7 Devil On Tambourine
8 Belle
9 Darkness All Around Us
10 Music and Light
I have had to rate this item even though I haven't yet purchased it - it doesn't work otherwise.
However, I am sure that I will give it five stars when I eventually buy it.
on 23 March 2012
I have to start the review by saying I'm a big fan of Bic Runga and have been since I first heard her most famous (but not necessarily her best) song 'Sway' in 2000 after it appeared in many successful movie soundtracks. Since then I have fallen in love with her body of work including 'Drive' (1997), 'Beautiful Collision' (2002), 'Birds' (2005) and her rareties collection 'Try To Remember Everything' (2008). Her music has a way of speaking to my heart, her emotive and at times fragile voice gripping a listener so strongly, so when 'Belle' was announced as being released late last year, I was elated.

The album doesn't necessarily disappoint, I'll start there. Out of the ten tracks there are seven or eight perfectly solid songs - perhaps few have the grasping choruses and toe-tapping beats of previous favourites like 'Get Some Sleep'and 'Election Night' or the epic ballad like 'Captured' but overall the tracks are infectiously catchy. Lead single 'Hello Hello' is a summery triumph, possibly one of Bic's greatest singles in her career. Follow-up single 'Tiny Little Piece Of My Heart' is a glittery homage to sixties motown and 'This Girl's Prepared For War' may be the best song on here, an illustrious, fearless hit in the making that could be worth the cost of the album alone. 'Good Love' and 'If You Really Do' are pretty mid-tempo tracks that you will be singing along with soon enough and 'Everything Is Beautiful And New', with it's almost nursery rhyme style harmonies is hauntingly beautiful.

My problem with the album is two tracks in particular, 'Devil On Tambourine' and 'Darkness All Around Us', why Kody Nielson felt the need to keep his lead vocals on these tracks I will never know. This is a Bic Runga album and she can barely be heard on both songs, particularly 'Darkness All Around Us' which is, in my opinion, the worst of the bunch, at least 'Devil On Tambourine' has its infectious beat. Both songs appear over-produced perhaps trying too hard to be different, they both seem to halt the pace of what otherwise is a really good album.

Overall I was pleased, it was certainly more 'happy' than her previous LP 'Birds' (which I personally loved) and with some tweaking here and there would be perfect, but after five years it's hard not to be a little bit disappointed as a big fan.
on 2 February 2012
Love the voice bic has and it's range and talent is put to great use here with some sublime songs, not really a bad one on the album.
on 1 February 2014
Like Bic's previous albums, this is a real 'grower'. After 3 or 4 days, I am now playing Belle constantly..the beautiful vocals, the insidious melodies, the internal harmonies, all creep up on you until you become completely addicted to her unique sound.

As previous reviewers have said, there is not a weak track. Even better, although the catchier songs are loaded to the beginning , the second half mixes things up a little and delvers a series of surprises in tone, sound and language..... I think that anyone who appreciated Beautiful Collision and Birds would also find this new set of songs a rare treasure.