on 28 April 2010
This converter works perfectly with my MacBook Pro and matches the design of Apple's own cables and converters. To my delight, this converter WILL transmit audio! (The product description has been updated to highlight this.) Your mini DisplayPort output needs to support audio too for it to work. Apple introduced audio support with their late 2009 iMacs and mid 2010 MacBook Pros.
77 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2011
This is what I was looking for. The HDMI end goes into the back of my Panasonic TV and the mini port goes into the side of my macbook air and the rest is history! No need for an extra cable for audio - this does image and audio. The long (3m) cable means I don't need an extension cable. Everything is perfect.

The only thing you need to do is go into preferences and change the sound so that it is the TV rather than the macbook.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2012
Cheap and carries full HD (1080/60p) with sound via the Thunderbolt/Multi port in my MacBook Air. Build seems solid and hasn't revealed any weaknesses (yet). Gold plated to avoid corrosion. Nothing bad to say, really.

EDIT: When you say "no problems yet" in a review, I believe you're supposed to do an update at some point. So, almost one-and-a-half year in, I'm pleased to say that I still have no problems with this cable. Granted, I don't use it on a daily basis (the HDMI end is always plugged in to my plasma, waiting for my (now refreshed 2013 version) MacBook Air to come around which it does sporadically), but it's still showing no weak points, and no wear nor tear.

EDIT2: Another update with 2014 coming to an end. My usage pattern has increased at it has been serving a new task for the last year, which is to live in my office, plugged in to an HDMI-2-DVI converter on my Samsung monitor there. I plug and unplug it at least once a day. It still hasn't failed, and it has yet to show any wear or tear. Much unlike a very short Thunderbolt to female HDMI adapter I bought at a later date which needed gaffer tape to stay together after about a month. This truly is a great cable.
on 30 November 2011
Have been looking for a cable to link my macbook to my tv for a while now. This is exactly what i was looking for - great quality and sound.
on 20 June 2013
I purchased the 5M length version of this cable and the price, delivery and build quality of the item are all exceptional.

The price really is incredible for something that would possibly sell for three or four times as much in an Apple store especially if it was made by Apple and the build quality certainly matches close to that if not the same as an Apple product. However there are a few caveats but I don't know if this is down to drivers and software on my MacBook Pro 17" or the cable.

My required use for this cable is between an early 2011 MacBook Pro 17" unibody intel i7 running both Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4) and Windows 7 64bit on a Bootcamp partition and an external LG 42LM620T flat panel LED 1080p 3D capable TV. I am constantly booting between Mac OS and Windows on a daily process and so far have encountered two issues, but in all fairness these two issues may not be down to the cable and could be driver or hardware related elsewhere and in fact I am convinced the first issue is driver based.

Issue one is that fitting the picture resolution being outputted from the Macbook Pro at it's maximum 16:9 friendly resolution of 1920x1080 pixels (from its native 1920x1200) to the external display is a little problematic; it's ok when in OS X Mountain Lion when ONLY choosing the normally fail safe 'Just Scan' picture aspect mode on the external display, in this situation when in OS X Mountain Lion the external display is perfectly fitting within it's display panel the out-puted 1920x1080 pixel resolution and is therefore matching the pixels 'pixel to pixel' from picture resolution source to target display panel - all is perfect! (although I am truly baffled why both the '16:9' and 'Original' picture aspect modes within the external display don't get a proper fit ????). However when booting in Windows 7 64bit on the Bootcamp partition on the very same connected MacBook Pro, the picture/display does not fit and is much smaller with a big black frame (remember the external display is still set in 'Just Scan' picture aspect mode). The latter would imply that Apple have been lazy with it's Windows Support Drivers and that Apple's drivers for Thunderbolt support in Bootcamp are inadequate and unfinished, however I could be wrong but this would appear to be the most likely cause. The only recourse for getting as close to possible a near frame fit for the external display is to use one of the external display's 'Cinema Zoom' modes that allow you to resize the picture being received. This is by no means perfect as it is impossible to achieve a perfect fit because of the 'zoom-step' increments which make it impossible to match the sweet spot and therefore it's either slightly under or too much over. Naturally this is my only option and therefore I am unable to match pixel for pixel and the real life application of this workaround is that I have to perform many button presses on the external displays remote control (through it's settings) in order to achieve this temporary fix every single time I boot up in either Mac OS X or Bootcamp Windows and as you can imagine this becomes a little tedious and tiring after a while. Now, although I believe this is down to Apple's Windows Bootcamp Support Drivers, I cannot be absolutely 100% and at the same time I can't help but wonder if this may be down to the cable in any way? I have submitted this to Apple's feedback submission webpage, but I feel it may fall on deaf ears as that route and course of action has never really pulled up any results for me from Apple.

Issue two is that often video can be a bit laggy with occasional artefacts and this I have experienced from many video sources. Again I can't be sure if this is down to the cable or not as the cable was clearly rated at both supporting HDMI version 1.3 and even gave reference to HDMI version 1.4 shown in brackets on the items Amazon page at the time I placed the order. This would indicate that the cable is indeed competent enough to deal with high volumes of data information being transmitted through the cable, so it's hard to imagine the cable being at fault and I cannot blame the cable as the cause in case it's the MacBook Pro, the Thunderbolt interface port or the OS or drivers?

Has anyone experienced any similar issues?

I will give a favourable four star rating purely because I do not know for sure what is causing my issues and want to give the cable the benefit of the doubt. The price, build/construction quality and length of the cable is certainly impressive though.
on 19 June 2013
I bought this as a replacement for the one that has (for some reason) stopped connecting the mac to the tv. I bought that one just 18 months ago for £39 out of a well known shop. This is so cheap I wondered about the quality. However, it works just as well and the quality is just as good. The 3 metre length is great and the connecting ends have handy plastic protectors on them to save any damage when not in use (unlike the expensive one). Great buy and would recommend, It was delivered really quickly too.
on 20 October 2010
I needed one of these in order to use an older monitor (Apple Cinema Display) with our new Mac Pro.

It's very well made, looks flawless and works perfectly.

It was significantly cheaper to buy from HD Central than from Apple themselves.

I was pleased that it arrived next-day as promised.

Overall I would be very happy to use HDCentral again and would recommend them to a friend.
on 1 May 2013
What can I say?

Cable arrived and tried it out on the first day. Cable is long enough to attach MacBook to the TV and still be able to operate the Mac (so no need for all kinds of fancy remotes or anything), comes with an instruction how to get sound played via the TV and both sound and vision work within, literally, seconds after attaching cable.

For the price (£ 13.95) I am very pleased with this.
on 12 January 2012
I needed a mini display port to HDMI cable as I was going into adapter hell - mini display port to display port and display port to hdmi with a hdmi cable to the amp. The mini display port on a macbook doesn't look/feel very rugged so was in danger of breaking it with the amount of stuff hanging off it!

Saw this item and the favourable reviews and ordered it, and happy I did. Length is perfect for hooking up to the amp, and the cable feels well constructed. Importantly its reasonably thin and flexible unlike some hdmi cables that can be thick and awkwardly stiff, so I don't feel the mini display port is under any strain with it connected.

On connecting to the AV amp (which deals with sound and means only one hdmi cable to the tv), the display is excellent. Took some tinkering with the Macbooks system preferences to ultimately get the sound output through the amp via the cable, but once I got it working it was fine. Watching HD content on the mac through the telly with audio through the amp too was brilliant.

Not sure I'd want to do anything other than watch stuff I've downloaded on the TV but the display looks sharp enough to use.

Overall very happy with it.
on 23 January 2013
Purchased the same cable from another place on here it was twice the price and a quarter of the size so I quickly cancelled and purchased the 5m one :) Its a great size for using in my bedroom where I can control my tv comfortably from my bed (lazy I know) and the display and sound quality is fantastic.
Do not buy if your Apple computer was built before mid 2010 as they were not built to pass audio through the cable yet unless of course you just want it for display and can play sound from your mac/computer. You can check your Apple products date on the apple website here is the link to identify the date of your computer [...] Very happy with my purchase :)