5.0 out of 5 stars Really good
As this was a free book I wasn't expecting much. But it surprised me by being a good read. I liked this book.
Published 11 months ago by Book Nutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there.
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there., 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: The God King (Book 1) (Heirs of the Fallen) (Kindle Edition)
This was an above-average indie fantasy with a decent setting, a self-contained plot (though there are apparently more in the series), and an apocalyptic scope that a Hollywood blockbuster would be proud of. It's relatively well written (though, see below) and was just as good as a lot of published fantasy I've read. A few things kept it from being among the top of the indie pile, however.

First, the book starts almost in the middle of the turning point that sets the whole thing off, and it would have been nice to get a bit more into the characters first. This would have allowed us to see how they are affected by the world-changing events that follow, but as it is we don't have much to contrast it with except brief back-story. As it was, the characters' defining strengths and weaknesses aren't clear as they are carried along by the apocalypse, and as a result some of their choices seem plot-based rather than personal, and at other times they don't really get choices at all. This made it hard for them to develop personalities that we cared about, and to be honest the villain is the most interesting (as they often are). This all leads in the end to a quite confusing final show-down (though they often are hard to keep hold of when such massive powers are at work), and though there are clearly further adventures in store for these heroes, I'm not sure I'll be reading them...

Style-wise, in contrast to some of the other indie ebooks I've recently read, this was at the wordier end of the spectrum. While it was nice to read prose that was reasonably rich without being too purple, it did tend to drag the story down at times. We spend a lot of time inside characters heads without much happening outside, and though the pace picks up and the story never stagnates, there was too much introspection and perception going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 4 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars the god king is a page turner, 2 July 2014
If you like your hero's big and bad with some kick ass sidekicks pitting themselves against overwhelming odds then this is a better read than Enid Blytons Noddy ever was. Don't start reading late at night or if you have something important to get up early for. Insomnia never had a good stablemate. Roll on book two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun 2014
Good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 22 Mar 2014
I enjoyed this book and it was a very cheap price for it. Looking forward to the next one. Hope it's as good

5.0 out of 5 stars Just could not put the book down, Brilliant fantasy fiction, 17 Feb 2014
Wow what a fantastic book from cover to cover it held me in it's grip,
I would suggest over 12's as parts of it could be disturbing for the younger reader especially if they have an active imagination and are able to see in their minds eye the picture(s)
James A West is painting
I took this book purely because it was free on Kindle at the time, I will soon be purchasing the rest in the series

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 Feb 2014
A good book with a nice story and interesting characters. However I was disappointed at the back of build up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many names and characters, 11 Nov 2013
Found this a tiring reads there were too many clans and individuals that are named but do not seem to have much importance, and are pretty underdeveloped. Half the characters and slowing the ae of introducing ne ones would have aken me further. I didn't get past the third chapter

4.0 out of 5 stars James A. West is a great Story-Weaver and I suspect will become a master of his craft., 1 Sep 2013
A Review of "The God King Heirs of the Fallen" (Book 1) by James A. West
Review by: John H Glen
Date; [Publish Date]
Format: E-Book (Kindle)
ASIN: 1484122275
Publisher:
My rating: 4 stars

Authors/Publishers Book Description/Synopsis

Heroes are not born; they are forged in the fires of apocalypse... Mercenary Kian Valera wants nothing more than to retire from a life of blood and butchery. But when an arrogant princeling offers him enough gold to buy a throne, Kian straps on his sword for one last mission. And besides, what could be easier than guarding a prince who wants to sow his royal seed in every backwater fortress and village throughout the realm? Turns out, dying would've been easier.

What Do I Think?

I downloaded this book as a free download so would I expect it to be a good well woven tale with no proofing mistakes? You can bet your life I would just because a book is free does not mean it has to be full of errors or to have a bad unreadable story. James A. West is a great Story-Weaver and I suspect will become a master of his craft.

This Story-Weaver (James A. West) has shaped a respectable, enjoyable, fantasy story, which held my attention from start to end gathering momentum until the ending at which I wanted more and indeed I did download book 2 (Crown of the Setting Sun (Heirs of the Fallen Book 2) Crown of the Setting Sun (Heirs of the Fallen Book 2)of this interesting and intriguing world of James A. West and his well-developed characters.

The ancient struggle between good and evil is the basis of this story, and as I have said it is well written has an excellent plot and utterly interesting, enthralling and well developed personalities on both sides of the battle.

The weaving of this tale is exceptionally expressive from time to time to the disadvantage of the story, there are areas in the story that the explanation takes up too many pages starts to delay the story from proceeding as fast as I would have liked.

In conclusion, I do say that this book is worth the read especially if you enjoy the fantasy genre and as I said I am now already reading book 2 of this very enthralling world created by a great Story-Weaver.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have paid for worse!, 6 July 2013
I got this book as a free download so my expectations were not high. However, it proved to be a good read. The storyline is a little predictable and the characters at times lack depth, nevertheless it is an enjoyable read and the ending of the book is actually quite good. Normally, I would have rated it a 4 star but I have added an extra star for value for money given it is available as a free download.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›