5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading!
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by clive

3.0 out of 5 stars not worth the price
Still leaves a lot of unanswered questions and seems to be a pointless series that drags on and on with no real end - a good way to pass boredom though
Published 11 months ago by cara nurse

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading!, 11 Jun 2012
I bought the 13-book collection of Lemony Snicket books, 'A series of Unfortunate Events' as part of my present to my nine-year-old daughter, at her request, so I can't personally say much about them, apart from the fact that her eyes glowed when she saw the books, and that she's been reading and re-reading them ever since! She's also introduced her best friend to them. As a testimonial to their quality and value, all I can do is relay my daughter's comment ("they're the best books ever") and testify how difficult it is to get her to do anything when her nose is buried in them! Amazon was, as usual, incredibly efficient and reliable and the parcel reached me in fewer days than quoted.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 2 Jan 2012
Great set of books, fantastic series. Really recommended. A different series to all the girly fiction and supernatural series that are currently available. great for boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Series of Unfortunate Events Collection: Books 1-13 with Bonus Material: The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, The Miserable Mill, The ... Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril, The End (Kindle Edition)
I'm probably too old to be reading such books but they are truly wonderful in such a miserable way :)

5.0 out of 5 stars love them, 26 Nov 2013
started reading these at age 8 x well my teacher read them to the class x read all 13 but in wrong order x reading them all again x read most more than once already x great books x great story line x

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, never ending nastyness, 25 Oct 2013
G. Owens (Atlantis) - See all my reviews
Pace and humour and a refusal to give in to the expected. And all together in one big grinding lump of unremittingly miserable genius. Mervyn Peake for clever children

5.0 out of 5 stars Snicket: The Complete Wreck., 23 Aug 2007
Another collection that is better suited to the knowledgeable. This collection is more a chance to buy the full works if you have been looking forward to do so either for yourself or better still, as a present.

A tour-the-force if I ever saw one, "The Unfortunate Series" and derived publications tie in together to choke you with uncertainty, anticipation and sheer rage. It's almost criminal. Being on the lose since 1999, Lemony Snicket and his dubious flesh and bone alter ego have published 13 books. I am buying the last book soon for some weird reason. I heard somewhere the last two chapters are missing but I don't think the author is THAT twisted.

See "A Series of Unfortunate Events: Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography" to complete the wreck.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perplexing ponderous read!, 26 May 2007
Helyx (Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Europe) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed Lemony Snicket and his clever way of never giving a clear answer. The Complete Wreck was an unexpected Treasure! The Full Color Illustrated box containing the complete set has a wraparound arcade of 11 various manifestations of Count Olaf, one mysterious depiction I am perplexed about it's meaning, and the full illustration of the Baudelaire's by a mysterious tree.

There is also a special fold out poster included depicting the pernicious play - The Marvelous Marriage!

If you like Brett Helquist's well-researched drawings of the most troublesome life of the Baudelaire's - then this box set is the icing on the cake. I think there are some hidden clues in the illustrations on the box to make you wonder about their connection to the tale.

The Set I received did have all 1st editions (from a higher print run except the last volume The End) was also another unexpected pleasure.

If you don't own the set, then try to snag one of these great box sets.

I think The Series of Unfortunate Events is one of the most perplexing reads. As an Adult I have really enjoyed them - so it's not just for youth. I happen to like Lemony Snicket's approach to putting realism within his writing in a way that starts young people to accept certain harsh ideas within the real world; a modern day Grimm's Fairy Tale.

I tend to think of The Series of Unfortunate Events as a segment of a tale that I will never know everything about the fate of these fine Baudelaire Children as they deal with such a dreadfully dreary downright discouraging difficult drama dilemma. I have enjoyed re-reading this set - which I have found each time that more of the multi-tale within a tale of a tale becomes apparent.

This Hardback Book set is wonderful - loaded with puzzling pictures, cryptic clues, and troubling typesetting. It's rare for young literature to have such a luxurious graphic style that you might think the Baudelaire fortune was spent on the printing of the series. It's reminds me of old Victorian novels with half of the pages ripped out - meaning that Brett Helquist does leave much to your imagination with his chapter illustration introductions. I did enjoy a window popping up amid Lemony Snickets writing showing this wondrous world that the Bauldelaires traverse in their many trials and tribulations of life.

I think it's brilliant writing but not for those who are faint of heart. There are many loose threads. There are Villainous Villains. So don't be a cakesniffer - get one!

Cheers,

Helyx Helyx

5.0 out of 5 stars Collection of books, 1 July 2014
Excellent product and delivered before the due date, very speedy. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab to have it all in one place, 29 Jun 2014
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've never read a Series of Unfortunate Events and am reading them for the first time now - as a 21-year-old I am hardly their target audience. Despite this, I am still really enjoying them and I love how new vocabulary is introduced and explained, I'm definitely going to read these to my future children.

This is a great edition with them all in one place, especially on kindle as it's so handy to be able to see how far through the series you are.

Highly recommend for anyone who's thinking of reading the series - not a bad price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 21 Jun 2014
Minnie (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves these books! After the first one, decided to buy the whole set. Arrived quickly and my daughter is happily reading the seventh one already!