Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

on 26 December 2013
I am sorry, but I cannot give a review based on this book only, as I read them all together...
Basically, its a wonderful read - I just love these time travel books, whatever shape or form they have. This one was special, because although I did care for the characters, I didn't particularly find myself in them (I tend to do that) - so no special connection between me, the reader, and the characters was formed. BUT (it's a big but) the fact that I wasn't so close to the subjects allowed me to look closer in other areas - like secondary figures, entourages, historic environment. At this part I think the author excelled (at least in my opinion) as I felt never closer to the periods described as when I read these books. Charlie, the perfect supporting role, is so much more endearing than Rachel, I thought.
As a conclusion, I belive it's one of the best series of its kind, nothing major in terms of literary performance, but a good story able to keep you plugged in it up until the end.
on 6 March 2014
I've thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this series. So many twists and turns, just when I think I've sussed out what's happening, there's another twist and I was wrong. As soon as I've finished one book I instantly downloaded the next - but, arrrgggghhh! Andy is still writing No.6. How am I going to wait? Should be out this month though so I've had to go on the mailing list and wait like everyone else.
Anyway, the point I'm making is that this is an incredible story. If, like me, you love time travel novels, you'll love this. I'm a sucker for history novels and time travel, so this is perfect for me.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2014
This book is short, and will only take an hour or so to get through, but on the end of the first book you'll definitely be reading it. Here we meet some new characters, and parts of the overall story arc are hinted at.

Despite the length, I enjoyed reading this book - I'm part way through the third now, as it's virtually impossible to stop reading when you get to the ends.

If you read the first book, you should read this one.
on 13 February 2014
initially thought it purely for children, but pleasantly surprised by the authors convincing style and obvious research into the time period concerned, half way through the third book set in world cup fever in London in 1966, hope he ties all the loose ends up in a believable way as I understand that is the last book in the series, all in all much better than expected, will be looking out for more by this author.
on 17 March 2015
This is a well crafted story, which is both richly detailed in terms of the settings in Birmingham and also in its development of the main characters. Its slant on the device of time travel is also interesting, and in the cases of its main characters quite unusual in the manner of their interactions.
on 24 July 2013
It's much too short, but it was a great read. I purchased part three along with part two so I can begin that now.
I mentioned in my review of part one, that I would have liked more of a depth to the characters, I feel we have that in this episode. So kudos to the author on that.
on 29 December 2013
The historical detail in these books is fantastic, found myself wanting to know more about the area and the Times.

I used to read a lot of Graham Greene, he had different classifications for his books. These would sit in the "Entertainment" category.
on 7 January 2013
On it's own, the plot of this book is rather weak and lacking action. However it does continue the story from book one and I look foreward to further episodes.
on 24 February 2015
Another too short story. I enjoyed this but it was short. I do not usually read short stories, but had to read this as it was just like an extra chapter.
on 23 May 2014
First 1912, then 1940... More twists in the travels of the history undergraduates. It is even harder to stop reading - I must find out what happens next!