5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year so far!
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by North Norfolk

2.0 out of 5 stars A marmite - Love it or hate it!!
There is no denying that Richard Mabey is a talented author and naturalist, so its no surprise that the combination of these two qualities produce a book that is both eloquent and imaginative, and will for some people be the epitome of what a thought-provoking 'nature book' should be.

However I was first introduced to Nature Cure through Mabey's column in BBC...
Published on 21 May 2007 by Wildlife Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year so far!, 28 Feb 2005
This review is from: Nature Cure (Hardcover)
I can't praise Nature Cure highly enough. It is billed as a journey through depression but it really isn't an inward looking self analysis - and his illness and cure take up very little of the book. He reveals what he needs to about himself but the real story is his examination of man's inner relationships with the natural world. And he is a person who has access to a fantastic store of knowledge about nature.
It is very readable and one of the most thought provoking books I've read for a long time. I am carrying around a wealth of new information, which I find myself retrieving and considering throughout the day. Mabey has a deep and comprehensive affinity with the countryside and ecology and writes quite beautifully. I will be re-reading this very soon.
He is part of my interwoven trio of rural writers that I recommend frequently and enthusiastically - the other two being Ronald Blythe and Roger Deakin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of re-connections., 15 April 2010
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)
Nature Cure is an account of Richard Mabey's move from the Chilterns to East Anglia and of his recovery from depression. In both cases these are stories of reconnection - with the landscape and with his self.

Mabey had lived for most of his life in one house in the Chiltern Hills, he owned a wood there and, as much of his other work suggests, the place was central to who he was. Depression robbed him of that connection and in the end he was needed to leave. He needed to reconnect with a place and he needed to reconnect with the person he was. In the end he suceeds.

Anybody who has lost touch with a place they love, or has struggled with depression will recognize the things described in this book. However, this is not just a book for migrants or the depressed, far from it. It is full of simple stories that put place and self at the centre of things - and in these days of increasing stress and social isolation these are no bad stories to hear. We often define ourselves through our relationships with place and space and struggle when these are stripped of meaning.

Mabey writes "I don't think that love of one's own place that bears no hostility to others is a bad emotion", but I think it may have taken him a while to reach this conclusion.

This is a fascinating and honest account of a person trapped in the quick sand of depression,change and doubt, and finally emerging on to the firm ground of connection. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous and thought provoking, 7 Dec 2005
This review is from: Nature Cure (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book immensely. The author's emotional and physical journey from one beloved and known landscape, through pain and loss, to the renewing strength of another quite different place, is expressed with courage and a disarming honesty that utterly convinces.
I learnt much from the author's thought-provoking meditations on nature and even more about what it is to be human. Thank you Richard Mabey!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nature Cure, 13 Mar 2009
Peter Collins (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)
A beautifully written book by one of my favourite authors. His description of deep depression is disturbingly accurate - an awful state of mind that seems to come from nowhere and sucks all colour and pleasure from life. He writes of lying in bed looking with incomprehension at books on his bookshelf that he himself had written; surely they must have been written by someone else?

His recovery, helped by friends and the lovely Polly is a pleasure to read. The colour and pleasure of a life that he had thought lost slowly reappear and through it all there is the wonder and beauty of nature.

2.0 out of 5 stars A marmite - Love it or hate it!!, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)

However I was first introduced to Nature Cure through Mabey's column in BBC Wildlife of the same name, and found it to be not only pessimistic but also somewhat dismissive of efforts to aid the natural world. So upon embarking on the book I was prepared for much more of the same, and I wasn't disappointed.

From the word go Mabey seems intent on reminding us of what we have lost rather than what we still have and what it can do for us. Although he describes swift sightings and deer encounters with heart-warming enthusiasm, it is always followed by a lengthy account of how out of tune we have become with nature, or a depressing metaphor for mankind's fall from grace!

Even the title is somewhat misleading. I expected the theme of Nature Cure to be a description of how the power of the natural world helped Mabey overcome depression. However it begins with Mabey already recovered, with barely a glimpse back into his life before recovery. As such the book meanders its way through what can only be described as a rather uneventful 'recuperation' period. Mabey's talent for describing natural events kept me interested enough to see it through to the end but it did become a chore and left me far from inspired.

There are some people who will find the book wonderful. There are beautiful descriptions and evocative thoughts which will make the more romantic nature lover's day. But for the more practical wildlife enthusiasts (like me) who like to learn and experience, it was rather disappointing.

For me Nature Cure was not an exhilarating literary venture in the way Mabey's Flora Britannica was, but it is something a little different, and for that reason is both refreshing and worth a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the title, just enjoy the contents, 15 Aug 2006
C. R. Cheesman (Abergavenny, Gwent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature Cure (Hardcover)
You can imagine the scene. One of Britains most respected and brilliant nature writers having recovered from a bout of severe depression turns up for a meeting with his publishers with his latest work. "How are we going to market this book, Richard? What title shall we give it?" Nature Cure.

But, despite the fact that this book is up to Richards usual high standard, there's precious little on how he came back from the brink and the part that reconnecting with nature played. And this is the real disappointment. Much has been done and written in the scientific community, for example by Professor Roger Ulrich amongst others, on the effects of exposure to the natural world on patients.

But this is dry academic stuff and I was really hoping that someone with Richards power of prose could present a more cogent and lucid understanding of the role nature can play in restoring the mind.

If that publishers conference had decided that this was really a book about upping sticks from your home in the Chilterns and moving to and re-discovering the East Anglian landscape then I expect it wouldn't have been so attractive or compelling even if it was more honest.

So ignore the title, don't have too many expectations and just enjoy Richards evocative writing. I certainly did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't 'do what it says on the tin', 23 Jan 2008
Christopher West (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)
I really wanted to love this book. Depression is a vile, destructive thing, and also something of a mystery, and any tale of its defeat should be both inspiring and informative. Add to this the location, the East Anglian countryside, this book looked (to me) irresistible. And then there were all the fulsome comments from national newspapers on the cover...

However, in the end I was disappointed. I learnt little about depression, its causes and cures - or about the real inner life of the author. I got little sense of the horror of depression at the start, of an eventful and bumpy journey in the middle, of any interest in the psychological forces at work as we travelled, or of a real cure at the end.

Behind a veil of lyricism, the author is really rather reticent. For example, part of his healing process came via a relationship, but we are offered no insight into this at all - no doubt tactful to the lady involved, but it makes dull reading.

Of course, there are good things about this book. Mabey writes with poetry and elegance about the environment, and his love of nature shines through (`It was the kind of day that makes one feel like saying grace for a blade of grass'). Were it marketed as a series of essays on rural life, ecology etc., or just a literary diary of a year in rural East Anglia, it would be very pleasant. But it purports to be something more, and to me it does not deliver on this promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story, 2 Feb 2005
This review is from: Nature Cure (Hardcover)
This is one of those inspirational stories that are hard to put down. The auhtor charts his life and what led him to his various addictions, then shows us the reader how he came out of the darkness and in to the light. A hard to put down book. Wonderful and Powerful.
also read if you have the chance: Nightmares Echo by Katlyn Stewart and Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

4.0 out of 5 stars Nature Cure- Richard Mabey, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)
I enjoyed this unusual very personal approach to a book on Nature. The title almost suggests a therapeutic natural cure such as one would buy in a herbalists store, but Richard Mabey has drawn off all that a man can from the simple yet highly effective healing process that living extremely close to a natural environment can offer, if one has his special kind of sensitivity to receive and benefit from it. The part of the book, relatively small , which dealt with his mental stress gave one a very vivid awareness of being in his shoes, unable to cope and lift himself out of the stifling, paralising stiuation in which he had descended.
The cure which came about through the love and support of friends and above all , a change of environment jerked him into a new state of awareness and he was able very gradually to take stock of himself, his life and future thanks to the nourishment of the new nature surrounding him.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all need healing at some time in our life, 18 Jun 2012
CR (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature Cure (Paperback)
We all need healing at some time in our life (we are not always cured, but are healed). Mr Mabey was healed by his friends at first, then his reaction to nature. Mr Mabey's description of nature and his disease are very insightful and should be helpful to those with depression (or any other disease). Too bad this book is not that available in the US (or popular in the US based on amazon ranking). I purchased extra copies in the UK to give to friends in the US.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›