5.0 out of 5 stars Seben DKA2 universald/camera adaptor
An excellent bit of kit. The Seben DKA2 universal adaptor enables you to easily connect/attach your digi camera to a spotting scope to take photos, and when you want to use your scope for viewing, this bracket (with camera) pivots out of the way. When you want to take another photo, just pivot the camera back and it is ready to use without any further adjustment.
Published on 19 Jun 2012 by Swan

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with set-up instructions
Published 20 months ago by neilavery

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben DKA2 universald/camera adaptor, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Seben DKA2 Universal Digiscoping Digital Camera and Videocamera Adapter (Electronics)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with set-up instructions, 17 Nov 2012
I purchased this item because I want to get into digiscoping; so I am a total beginner. There were no instructions provided with the adapter so I had to log on to Amazon to view the product so that I could see how it should look when connected to a scope. It wasn't difficult but it could have been made easier by providing some simple instructions. Connecting the adapter to the scope is simple enough but setting up the camera is quite an art as the camera has to sit in exactly the right place in relation to the scope and, being a universal adapter, there are three directions to set up - up/down, left/right and distance from the eyepiece of the scope. Once set up, the adapter is designed to be able to be swung out of the way so that the scope can be used on its own and swung back in when the camera is required. I found that some 'tweaking' was required when I swung the adapter back to get the camera in the correct place.
If the camera is removed for any reason - changing the batteries for example - then the left/right setting has to be set up all over again. Choice of camera could make a big difference here. Setting up the scope requires the camera to be switched on and I found the battery in my camera sadly lacking in power, although I'd not noticed any problem in general use before.
It is also essential that your camera has a remote shutter release or a short (2 or 3 second) timer release to overcome the vibration caused by pressing the shutter release button.
I attempted to use the adapter with a Sony Handycam but I couldn't set it up so that the vignetting disappeared.
I have rated the adapter 3 stars because it does what it says and I have been able to take quite reasonable pictures with a cheap scope (a Centon - no longer produced) and a Sony Cybershot 7.2 Megapixel camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device :), 6 Sep 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect with this little device as I was concerned about the weight of the device together with the weight of the camera hanging onto the eyepiece of my telescope, but once I hooked it up, there were no issues as it's a light but sturdy mount.

What i like most about this mount, compared to other mounts, is that you can swing the camera away from the eyepiece, to have a look through the eyepiece, without actually taking the mount or camera off the eyepiece and then swing it back into place.

I would suggest though you set the zoom before putting the camera onto the mount, as once you have it up against the eyepiece, you can zoom out, but not in, as the camera is up against the lens of the eyepiece.

As long as you have a tripod screw hole, this mount should work with most cameras along with some webcams.

Would recommend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben digiscope, 9 Oct 2012
Brilliant! It weighs very little but is solid and easy to use. I set it up and took my first photo in about 3 minutes. As it says in the blurb, you can swing the camera out of the way when you want to look through the telescope. Why spend 90+ when this does all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 12 Feb 2013
brilliant bit of kit i have bought this for filming air rifle hunting. a very well built easy to use camera mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben DKA2 Universal Digiscoping Digital Camera Adapter, 14 Dec 2012
Although no instructions it was not rocket science to get it to fit. Sturdily built and easy to use.
Delivery was 11 days, not bad considering it was very close to Christmas. Very impressive.
The packaging was good with both jiffy bag and another bag to protect it.
Overall a very easy pleasant transaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, 6 Jan 2013
I saw this in use by a guy rifle shooting on you tube, and he was good enough to name the manufacturer in the credits.
I ordered it on the 30th December and it arrived from Germany 4 days later; impressive given the holiday season.

The product itself is solid and well made without being too heavy. It would benefit from a simple instruction leaflet, but I figured it out in a few minutes.It fitted onto the telescopic sight straight away, and has rubber lined 'jaws' so won't mark what ever you are fitting it to. Once the camera was mounted and lined up, I was pleased with the finished efect, and fully expect to get many years of use from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben Digiscoping Adaptor, 21 Nov 2012
I've not considered digiscoping before - too expensive. This is a great kit which avoids buying adaptors unique to one scope. (Mine is a Kowa with 32X).
Experimenting is worthwhile - there are many position options. The first camera I set up, an old Sony compact, swung left but my Nikon Coolpix S5100 had to go right. My Olympus DSLR would fit but too heavy and I have no adaptor - not worthwhile.
I wanted to fit a cable relase adaptor bracket (from Firstcall) onto the Seben. One option was Firstcall on top of Seben but that was very clumsy. Tried with a single bolt through the bars of each, but the bolts with both kits were too short by themselves to allow the adaptor to move, and I had no small locknut. Eventually I bolted the Firstcall onto the other Seben bar (the one between camera and scope) using a combination of my own bolt/washers/wingnut. Sticks out rather and would have been nice to have them designed for each other, or perhaps there is a better fitting cheap bracket out there (or a brighter customer?)
Product is well made - the only problem I had with the Seben was when I fiddled with the little grub screw in the pivoting nut. It has a spring under it which jammed when I tightened it (out of curiosity!) too much and I had to remove the crunched spring (difficult) - it wasn't really necessary anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 7 Nov 2013
I am an amateur astronomer. I own several telescopes and an assortment of cameras. This gadget enables any of my cameras to take pictures through any of my telescopes which is just what was required.

2.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery, reasonably made but fiddly to use and camera dependent, 26 Sep 2013
This is not going to be the same glowing review you've possibly read already. Before I add my observations I should just point out my adapter came with 1 A4 shiny bit of paper saying (in multiple languages) if I wrote a "positive" review and emailed a link to Seben they would send me some goodies (I've no idea what). I've nothing against a company asking people to review an item but offering an incentive is another thing.

It arrived quicker than the estimate, from Germany, in about a week. It was well packaged in a jiffy bag and then bubble wrap. As others have said there were no instructions and although you are pointed at the web site I could find none there either.

I cannot say it is as advertised since the description of the adapter is inadequate. Weight is important to most people carrying loads of equipment around; mine was 300g. It should tell you the maximum distance from the clamp to the centre of the screw your camera mounts on or you cannot know if when your camera is turned on and the lens extends whether it will fit (12cm on the one sent to me). Also bare in mind if you have a variable magnification eyepiece on a scope you'll have to clamp the adapter further down your scope losing even more of that 12cm. It also should say how big the clamp is or how do you know if it will fit over your scope (max diameter looks like 6cm).

It is mostly metal construction with rubber where your camera mounts and around the inside of the clamp. The screws have plastic tops and are captive (except one). The arm extending from the clamp has a slot in it with and a small bit of rectangular metal which is pinned into the piece your camera sits on so you can slide the camera closer or further away from the scope eyepiece. On the one I was sent this rectagular locating piece was pinned into the camera bar not at a perfect 90 degrees although you can probably compensate at the clamp end.

Because of the extra captive screw on the camera bar (what is that for) my camera could only be used with the clamp on the left of my scope as the additional screw got in the way the other way around.

Although not complicated to assemble the picture on Amazon is confusing as where the lock screw for camera height adjustment is shown (the top screw), you would not be able to swing the camera around as the lock screw would hit the back of the clamp. Also, there is a slot in the vertical bar the height screw is supposed to fit into and that is facing you.

The movable part of the clamp jaws does not move in a slot so they can swing quite a bit back and forth around the adjuster screw making lining up on your scope a bit of a trail and error affair.

I used this adapter with an Olivon T90 and a Panasonic TZ30. In use I've found this really fiddly to set up. If I got the camera slightly too high, low, left or right a black area appeared in the circular view. It was especially hard to get the camera exactly at 90 degrees to the eye piece as that adjustment is made at the clamp. Even once clamped up tight, you can still move the camera and although you can swing it out the way, a) it never seems to swing back to the same place and b) you need to fold back any rubber around your eye piece. I also found it took a lot of experimentation to find out exactly how far the camera needs to sit from my eyepiece and of course, once set you better not touch your zoom of you could be forcing your lens into your eyepiece.

If your camera lens moves when you zoom (and your likely to need to zoom a bit) you are going to be in a world of pain as you'll have to zoom first then adjust the bracket. That might not sound too hard but a) you only know how much to zoom when the camera lens is up to the eyepiece and b) turn your camera off and the zoom probably goes back to 0. I imagine this adapter would work better with a camera with an internal zoom.

Also bear in mind if you adjust the zoom on your scope after setting up you'll probably have to readjust the adapter.

If I'd known what I know now, I'd not have bought this adapter. I've failed to get any even half decent photos with it and it is way too fiddly to set up. If I try again I'd probably try the adapters that are made for my scope and screw on to the scope - more stable, easy alignment, less trouble to use zoom on scope, and yes, they don't swing away so you can use your scope with your eye but that feature didn't work for me with this adapter anyway.

I'm quite frankly, surprised at the huge number of positive reviews of this adapter - unless of course, they all went for the free goodies option ;-)