on 20 November 2013
I have never owned a garden vac before so cannot compare this with any other I have actually used. First of all I started my considerations in my local B & Q Depot which is where I think most will initially go if considering purchasing such an item due to the range of products stocked. I wanted an electric powered vac as I considered the petrol option a bit 'over the top' given that it will be used in earnest for a couple of weeks each year and the size of my garden allows for cable usage. Once in there I was a little shocked. Four options were available, Bosch, Ryobi, Black and Decker and B & Q own brand. Firstly all seemed heavy and cumbersome (when compared to the QGarden) and all bar the own brand were at least £25 more. The own brand was a similar price but it was enormous.
Anyway having read previous reviews I took the plunge and ordered one of these, after-all for £35 it was worth the risk. The vac arrived very quickly and first impressions were how small it was but the plastics it is made of seemed of a lesser quality compared to those previously seen. Assembly was reasonably straightforward although a little force was required to line up the screw holes. Once done though it's a sturdy piece of kit.
In use the QGarden really came into it's own. It really is simple to use with enough suction to pick up even wet leaves stuck to paving slabs but not so much as to suck up 1/4" pea gravel that surrounds my paving. What would have taken me over an hour to complete was done in ten minutes. The blower function, via a switch on the side (which some of the more expensive machines omit), is equally as good allowing me to blow leaves from borders onto the lawn before sucking up. The mulching is excellent even 1/4" twigs are gobbled up. This mulching makes disposal space much less of an issue. The bag, on paper, has less capacity than other vacs but it still holds a vast amount. Having used this with the bag full I'm glad it holds no more as this is heavy enough so the others would be a real struggle unless you're a candidate for Britain's Strongest. A couple of times the exit chute has become blocked but it is relatively simple to unclip the bag at the entry point without removing it completely via the two outer clips to clear it.
The only downside is, as others have noted, that the cable is very short at 6 metres. However as I always use an extension I have actually shortened the cable to about 30cm's. Doing this keeps the plug off any damp ground and makes emptying the bag much simpler as the cable no longer gets tangled during the process.
This machine may not have the finished looks (due to those cheaper looking plastics) and quality markings/logos emblazoned on it but that's not what it's about. If you want a garden vac that does exactly what it says on the box at a very reasonable price then look no further. Just remember to shorten the cable as it will make using it much simpler.
0Comment|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2012
this is the best leafblower that I have purchased, it's light in weight, mulches the leafs very fine, easy to empty the bag, and it was easy to assemble, highly recommended
0Comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
easy to assemble!! great suction!! after use very easy to empty cleared all leaves in no time
great product would recomend to friends.
on 20 March 2013
Love this item!!! East to assemble, easy to use and very lightweight. Both blowing and suction modes powerful and a very reasonable price. FAB!!!!
on 28 November 2012
I was quite skeptical about buying this as I'm quite old fashioned, but I am so pleased with it and felt I had to review it. It is fairly light and well built. I am quite small and this is rather big, but then it did exactly as it says on the product description. It picked up wet and dry leaves. It was put together very quickly which is surprising as I am usually useless at these things. It picks up and shreds the leaves very quickly. I did suck up a few tiny stones, but it didn't appear to do anything. Overall I am very happy that I bought this and I would recommend it.
11 comment|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2015
In over 10 years as a Amazon customer I have never had any issues with any product bought which didn't meet my expectations. This is the first item I have ever returned an item.

When I was looking to replace my Black & Decker garden vac (whose collection bag had split) this jumped out at me - good price & many, many great reviews. No brainer, I thought. I liked the fact that the blower/vac tubes didn't need to be swapped over and a simple lever on the machine would change it's function.

First time of use was ok - collecting a few leaves which had blown into the garage. That was about all it could handle. When I first used it in the garden I was careful to ensure that it was a dry day (and dry leaves) so as not to work the machine too hard. The machine refused to suck up any leaves after a minute or so. When I removed the collecting bag I found leaves jammed in the square connector between the machine and the bag which were not mulched at all. This continued to happen after clearing it out by hand another 5-6 times. Switching the machine to blow failed to clear the jam (as was advised in the manual).

Did I have a faulty machine? I'm not sure I did, it could certainly blow well enough but it failed for me in mulching the leaves which caused the continual jams. Most customers seem to think it is brilliant so maybe I did have a duffer.

With so many trees in our garden a leaf blower/vac is really useful for me so I decided to buy this Bosch - Bosch ALS 2500 Electric Garden Blower/ Vacuum which does the job superbly.

If you have the kind of leaves which are as big as your hand then think twice about buying the Q Garden vac. If you do decide to buy it be sure to use Amazon as the seller - the return/refund process was wonderfully painless (and free) and I've read that buyers who used a third-party seller and wished to return the machine had trouble with refunds/postage return costs
on 22 January 2013
Suitable for most blowing jobs in a small garden.
Shreds well. Carrying strap ring not very strong.
would recommend this.
on 7 December 2013
This was brilliant for about 4 weeks and then just died. I had been careful not to vac up anything other than leaves so don't know what the problem was. I returned it and got a full refund.
on 21 November 2012
Got this item next working day which was excellent as the ETA was 5 days. Wasn't expecting much as this was only £35, however I am shocked at how good it is! Sucks up leaves with no effort and even if they are wet, if they don't budge then just set to blower and after a few passes it'll blow out! There are a few stones in my garden which did occasionally go in to the vac but just let go of the button and they fell out, was a bit worried about this from reading reviews of other more expensive blowers which broke when a stone went in to them - so really impressed this one doesn't seem to suffer from this problem.

It used to take me about over 2 hours to rake the lawn and usually pull most of the grass up with the leaves, with this vac it took 10 mins and the bonus of not pulling out any grass... I really wish I'd bought this a year ago as leaves are such a pain in my area, saves so much time and hassle, worth every penny!

The only note is that the cable is only 6 meters so you may want to purchase and extension lead as well.
11 comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2012
This cost £30 and for that I thought that I was getting a cheap garden blower/vac.
I was disappointed, what I got was a blower/vac that is more tan capable of blowing and sucking up even the wettest leaves and organic garden debre.
£30 well spent, worth double.