5.0 out of 5 stars An ASTOUNDING bargain.
Published on 14 Nov 2005 by S. J. Batten

The adulation accorded this recording in previous reviews and elsewhere mystifies me; it strikes me that some of it is couched in terms which approach the obsessively unhinged. Don't misunderstand me; I love Wagner and do indeed find "Parsifal" to be a truly spiritual experience, even (especially?) on disc - but this recording is not the one to do it for me...
Published on 3 Feb 2009 by Ralph Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars An ASTOUNDING bargain., 14 Nov 2005
S. J. Batten "balisonmb" (Brighton, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wagner: Parsifal (Audio CD)
This is the famous Knappertsbusch (COMPLETE!)Recording from 1951,selling on this Quadromania label for about £1 per disc. It is of course in mono and 1951 sound, but the transfer seems excellent, with plently of both treble and bass. I paid about £5.99 for my copy and I am astonished to find it retailing for even less! The one drawback is that it has no sleeve notes or libretto - just a track listing, but if you already own another performance of Parsifal with a libretto and are keen to explore this legendary recording of the work, look no further.
This recording had the best Parsifal cast in the discography: Windgassen as Parsifal, Marthe Moedl as Kundry, George London as Amfortas and Ludwig Weber as Gurnemanz. I own six recordings of Parsifal including this one and apart from the Goodall, this is the one I go back to the most. The tempi are very broad, but the performance never flags. Rather, in the hands of Knappertsbusch - who made Parsifal his own over the decade or so during which he conducted it at Bayreuth - the slow tempi bring a kind of religious transcendalism to the work and a unique organic unity all his own. Yes, this recording (and at this remarkable price!) is an absolute 'must have' for any lover of Parsifal.

5.0 out of 5 stars no libretto,but no worries,either, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Parsifal (Audio CD)
Fairly basic packaging,but what can you expect for such a low price(from Amazon 3rd party seller)?All else,however,excellent--if you know the opera,lack of libretto will not bother you unduly,and despite its age,it's not a bad recording--I was expecting far worse,but it's certainly on a par with,say,the Krauss Ring,and I cannot imagine anyone complaining about that.I'd guess this is licensed from Teldec,but no info on that with the skimpy details provided--having said that,a real bargain for perhaps the greatest Parsifal--well either this or the '62,this for spirituality,cast, and historical worth,the '62 for stereo and better recording quality,but as I say,a real bargain,and I'm glad I bought it.I've not heard the Naxos version,but am quite content with this,as I said,suspected Teldec reissue.

Postscript-- having seen other reviews of this in other incarnations,I'm baffled by comments like "dull","muffled","distant" orchestral sound--I'm listening to this on very high end equipment,admittedly,but the sound is very good,with all coming over as clearly as can be expected.Sounds MUCH better to me than others may lead you to believe.

3.0 out of 5 stars An important historical performance - but hardly the best recording available, 3 Feb 2009
Ralph Moore "Ralph operaphile" (Bishop's Stortford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wagner: Parsifal (Audio CD)

First, it's in dim, but perfectly listenable mono. Fine; I listen happily to many recordings of lesser sonic quality - but if I can have a "Parsifal" in beautiful, clear sound, I'd prefer it. Both the Kubelik (see my review) and the Karajan studio recordings provide just that. Furthermore, they both feature a Gurnemanz in Kurt Moll whose beauty of voice, tonal splendour and understanding of the text put the wobbly Ludwig Weber in the shade. He is on stage for so long that this rôle is really crucial to our enjoyment - and I find Weber's vocal failings and unsteadiness a bit of a trial when I have the aural image of Moll's sonorous bass in my head. Windgassen, too, is perfectly adequate, but he always sounded elderly even when he wasn't and James King's carefully thought out characterisation matches his superior vocalisation; he really sounds boyish. Minton is almost Mödl's equal vocally and almost as good interpretatively. It is true that no-one matches George London's great anguished, black-voiced Amfortas - least of all Weikl - but that's the only real casualty if you opt for Kubelik's masterly pacing and buy the Arts & Archives set.

This 1951 Kna recording is now available very cheaply on the Zyx and Quadromania labels and it sounds as good as you could hope for given its age; the Zyx issue has a particularly attractive presentation and is in especially good, warm mono sound. If you want Knappertsbusch at Bayreuth, I would recommend either the famous, live stereo performance from 1962 or his last Parsifal in 1964 with a rejuvenated Hotter and Jonn Vickers as the eponymous hero. In truth, if I were going to live with a live, historical performance, I'd prefer the 1950 RAI broadcast conducted by Gui and sung in Italian (incredibly well) by Callas, Christoff, Panerai and Baldelli.

I love the cover picture Zyx has chosen, "The Temptation of Sir Percival" by Arthur Hacker; it is the same picture used on the latest re-issue of the Barenboim set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome to own a copy of Parsifal, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Parsifal (Audio CD)
Awesome to own a copy of Parsifal. The first opera I ever saw. Will treasure this for years to come

Parsifal
Parsifal by George London (Audio CD - 2011)