5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Plug and Play
Published on 26 Mar 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, beware of the noise....
Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Mr. M. P. Clinton

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, beware of the noise...., 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I've recently bought one of these kits. They're simple to install, but I've noticed the unit with 3 ports on it makes a constant high pitched whine or hum which unless you have the TV or radio on quite loud tends to get on your nerves after a while. I've got a support call in with Devolo to see if this is normal or not. The unit has several cooling vents, which I assume is to cool the unit as it has a built in switch, so maybe it's just the sound of all the electrics, all I can say is a couple of old D-Link units I had (that only had one port in each unit) were totally silent, so unless you don't mind the constant whining, you may want to consider something else. I'll update this if I get any joy from my support call to Devolo.
Update 1. Devolo have mailed me to say the humming is not normal, so I've ordered a replacement with Amazon, sadly a 1 - 3 week lead time now.
Update 2. A Few months on and the replacement has been working fine, so just one dodgy unit, speed and simplicity of installation is great!
Update 3. Its now October 2012, and the 3 port unit has now failed like others. The plug works so the fuse hasn't gone, but there's no lights on the networking part at all, so its going back to Amazon again....a shame that the hardware seems to be a bit flakey.
Update 4. November 2012. Amazon were kind enough to quickly send a replacement out again, and so far the new unit is working OK, but the long term life of these products remains a bit of a concern!

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient but not that fast, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
The convenience of having what is effectively a switch built in is very helpful as I use it to feed two computers and a net connected TV in the same room. Previously I had just the one computer that was connected using an AVplus 200 homeplug set and I was therefore looking forward to an increase in speed with the 500 model.

In practice, the speed, as logged by Devolo's own dLan Cockpit software, is actually no better and perhaps just a tad slower. No obvious reason why this should be the case as it is running over exactly the same linked sockets as before. Upgrading to the latest firmware made a small difference but still no better than the AVplus 200 and less than I'd hoped for. I know how sensitive these homeplugs can be. Another mains socket in the same room produces a much poorer result but I'd not expected any degredation on the same pathway. Maybe the inbuilt switch itself adds some level of interference with three devices attached.

It is still a very convenient way to add three devices on one socket and probably no more expensive than three separate AVplus 200 plugs but don't expect any dramatic speed improvements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Plug and Play, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
Two plug-in units and two Ethernet cables, that's it. One cable between router and single-socket unit and plug it in. Second cable between computer and triple-socket unit and plug that in in another room. Internet connected - it really is that simple. I'll get another two cables for my laptop and printer and I'm done, no trailing cables from one room to another, no hassle, no geek-level knowledge needed. Plug 'n' Play not Plug 'n' Pray. Devolo dLAN 200 AV Plus Wireless N Starter Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for BT customers, 23 Oct 2012
POSITIVES
Before this I would lag out of matches regular on the xbox playing COD or later BF3. Driving me insane is a understatement so i decided to take a hit on one of these and take a risk. If anyone was rude enough to use a iPad or iPhone over WiFi then forget it it was controller v wall time.
Now after a painless installation i am running stable connection without any network disconnects, lag has reduced immensely and i can play to my hearts content as long as loads of folks aren't on the internet at same time. Oh and sky go now works (almost) all the time
NEGATIVES
The units are a bit big. the lights are annoying in the bedroom. can Take 3-4 minutes to come out of power save mode and start working when left for a day or 2

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but..., 13 Sep 2012
Michael Davies (Langholm, Dumfriesshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
had this product for a while as i wanted multiple ports at the remote end.

first thing i noticed was problems copying files to my storage box locked the network and i figured it was either the router or the storage box so put up with having to reset router every time i copied files over, which was only once a week so not a major inconvenience.

after five months the triple port adapter failed and was sent back and eventually refunded. in the meantime i bought a Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline 4-Port AV 500 Kit for Home Theater as my old 200 adapters were not strong enough to watch iplayer on and the weekly copy took forever... not looked back since, eventually replaced the router too as it is old.

the copying problem and eventual failure aside they worked well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought a Devolo 500+ triple, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I bought this product as I have a Media Streamer and an Xbox in my living room and neither have a wireless connection, but my router is on the other side of the house.

I found them VERY easy to set-up - in fact I didn't have to do anything other than just plug them in to a local mains socket at each end, plug the media devices in to the network socket - and voila: the devices were on the network. They also work a LOT faster and more reliable than a wireless connection.

I would definately buy another one if I needed another LAN connection in the house.

Good product, good solution.

John

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
Superb product. Straight out of the box, connect adapters, load pilot software and everything worked. I can now watch HD movies streamed from my computer room to the TV downstairs smoothly. Fully compatible with the older AV 200 plugs. Fully recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware Failure after 4 months, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
Great for 4 months,streaming iplayer in HD but then just stopped working. No lights, no response. Clearly hardware failure.
Excellent service by Amazon, replaced free of charge with no argument. Replacement working normally.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so Fast, 12 Sep 2012
P. Kavanagh "The Beige Van Man" (Wraysbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
Unfortunately, the only way I could get any speed was to have the two units plugged into the same socket (447Mbit/s send and 553Mbit/s receive)
If I go one room away then it drops to 389Mbit/s send and 421Mbit/s receive
If I try upstairs to downstairs then it drops down to 150Mbit/s send and 114Mbit/s receive)
If I try upstairs to downstairs AND the front of house to the back of the house then I only get 40Mbit/s send and 73Mbit/s receive)
It's not as if I live in a mansion the total distance is only 20 meters - the extra cost for the extra speed seems to be a waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
The 3-port homeplug became unreliable after about 12 months, and then stopped working completely after 24. It is now totally dead.

It has a 36-month warranty, but Devolo UK have no local phone number and don't respond to emails.

Because of the pretty non-existent support, and the reliability issues that have been reported elsewhere, I would not recommend this product.

Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit