4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for BT customers
POSITIVES
Before this I would lag out of matches regular on the xbox playing COD or later BF3. Driving me insane is a understatement so i decided to take a hit on one of these and take a risk. If anyone was rude enough to use a iPad or iPhone over WiFi then forget it it was controller v wall time.
Now after a painless installation i am running stable connection...
Published on 23 Oct. 2012 by Mr. J. Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, beware of the noise....
Published on 24 Feb. 2012 by Mr. M. P. Clinton

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, beware of the noise...., 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I've recently bought one of these kits. They're simple to install, but I've noticed the unit with 3 ports on it makes a constant high pitched whine or hum which unless you have the TV or radio on quite loud tends to get on your nerves after a while. I've got a support call in with Devolo to see if this is normal or not. The unit has several cooling vents, which I assume is to cool the unit as it has a built in switch, so maybe it's just the sound of all the electrics, all I can say is a couple of old D-Link units I had (that only had one port in each unit) were totally silent, so unless you don't mind the constant whining, you may want to consider something else. I'll update this if I get any joy from my support call to Devolo.
Update 1. Devolo have mailed me to say the humming is not normal, so I've ordered a replacement with Amazon, sadly a 1 - 3 week lead time now.
Update 2. A Few months on and the replacement has been working fine, so just one dodgy unit, speed and simplicity of installation is great!
Update 3. Its now October 2012, and the 3 port unit has now failed like others. The plug works so the fuse hasn't gone, but there's no lights on the networking part at all, so its going back to Amazon again....a shame that the hardware seems to be a bit flakey.
Update 4. November 2012. Amazon were kind enough to quickly send a replacement out again, and so far the new unit is working OK, but the long term life of these products remains a bit of a concern!

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient but not that fast, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
The convenience of having what is effectively a switch built in is very helpful as I use it to feed two computers and a net connected TV in the same room. Previously I had just the one computer that was connected using an AVplus 200 homeplug set and I was therefore looking forward to an increase in speed with the 500 model.

In practice, the speed, as logged by Devolo's own dLan Cockpit software, is actually no better and perhaps just a tad slower. No obvious reason why this should be the case as it is running over exactly the same linked sockets as before. Upgrading to the latest firmware made a small difference but still no better than the AVplus 200 and less than I'd hoped for. I know how sensitive these homeplugs can be. Another mains socket in the same room produces a much poorer result but I'd not expected any degredation on the same pathway. Maybe the inbuilt switch itself adds some level of interference with three devices attached.

It is still a very convenient way to add three devices on one socket and probably no more expensive than three separate AVplus 200 plugs but don't expect any dramatic speed improvements.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but..., 13 Sept. 2012
Michael Davies (Langholm, Dumfriesshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
had this product for a while as i wanted multiple ports at the remote end.

first thing i noticed was problems copying files to my storage box locked the network and i figured it was either the router or the storage box so put up with having to reset router every time i copied files over, which was only once a week so not a major inconvenience.

after five months the triple port adapter failed and was sent back and eventually refunded. in the meantime i bought a Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline 4-Port AV 500 Kit for Home Theater as my old 200 adapters were not strong enough to watch iplayer on and the weekly copy took forever... not looked back since, eventually replaced the router too as it is old.

the copying problem and eventual failure aside they worked well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for BT customers, 23 Oct. 2012
POSITIVES
Now after a painless installation i am running stable connection without any network disconnects, lag has reduced immensely and i can play to my hearts content as long as loads of folks aren't on the internet at same time. Oh and sky go now works (almost) all the time
NEGATIVES
The units are a bit big. the lights are annoying in the bedroom. can Take 3-4 minutes to come out of power save mode and start working when left for a day or 2

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but only lasted 14 months, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I bought this kit in December 2012 and after some initial fiddling to synchronise the units, it's been working flawlessly for 14 months. But today, the triple plug stopped working. It still allows power to flow to anything plugged into it, but no lights come on and there's no network connectivity. I've tried turning it on and off and holding the sync button in, but can't bring it back to life. I would have expected this to last longer. A quick search suggests i am not alone with this fault. And i'm just out of warranty, so won't be able to return it. I expected a longer lifespan than 14 months

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 22 April 2013
Three big issues with the dLAN 500:

1. In my house, they are no faster than the dLAN 200 (Cockpit software actually seems to show they are often slower!!).

2. One of the adapters failed and needed replacement after 3 months.

3. The most serious issue: They continually drop the connection, which makes them useless for streaming media (in my case music). This is fixable - see below...

Issue 3 is a known issue - Devolo support told me to update the firmware of both adapters using the dLAN Cockpit software. This did fix the issues for me (before the adapters stopped working - the replacement ones still have the same connectivity problem and need to be updated). Note that the firmware update is not possible using the Mac OSX version of the software, it's only possible using the Windows version - which took another email to support to find out!!

Bottom line for me is that they are selling a product (dLAN 500) that is not production ready - dropped connectivity is not acceptable for a £100 networking product. And issues with their software mean that Mac users can't update the firmware to fix the problem.

My advice: The dLAN 200s work well - save your money (and considerable hassle) and go for those.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware Failure after 4 months. Replacement high pitched noise after a year., 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
Great for 4 months,streaming iplayer in HD but then just stopped working. No lights, no response. Clearly hardware failure.
Excellent service by Amazon, replaced free of charge with no argument. Replacement working normally.
Update, replacement after 1 year sounds like a mosquito and is so annoying that I have replaced it with TP-Link AV500 kit (silence at last).

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought a Devolo 500+ triple, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I bought this product as I have a Media Streamer and an Xbox in my living room and neither have a wireless connection, but my router is on the other side of the house.

I found them VERY easy to set-up - in fact I didn't have to do anything other than just plug them in to a local mains socket at each end, plug the media devices in to the network socket - and voila: the devices were on the network. They also work a LOT faster and more reliable than a wireless connection.

I would definately buy another one if I needed another LAN connection in the house.

Good product, good solution.

John

2.0 out of 5 stars Potentially excellent, but failed..., 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
I bought this to augment my existing devolo 85MB powerline network adapters. As they use the same underlying protocol, they are compatible at the transport level, although the monitoring software is not - that is not the problem though. I used this item to connect my media server (RAID 2 Buffalo NAS) to my media client (Humax HD Freeview recorder) and all worked perfectly for about a day. They also played nicely with the existing adapters (though obviously significantly slower transfer speed).

I then found that there was no connectivity at all the following day. I tried a hard reset, and also disconnecting all the other adapters and although the monitoring software did indeed show both devices (so there was an underlying connection), I got no data transfer at all.

I have no idea why this happened, and hopefully it was an isolated case. I would give 5 stars if this product worked for more than 24 hours, but alas no.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit (Electronics)
The 3-port homeplug became unreliable after about 12 months, and then stopped working completely after 24. It is now totally dead.

It has a 36-month warranty, but Devolo UK have no local phone number and don't respond to emails.

Because of the pretty non-existent support, and the reliability issues that have been reported elsewhere, I would not recommend this product.

Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit