on 13 January 2012
The Biggest Loser Cookbook: Your personal programme for nutritious & delicious guilt-free food

I was surprised at how compact the book is, considering the number of recipes and information on diet, ingredients etc. The diet plans are detailed and will help anyone looking to lose some weight after the excitement and excesses of the festive period.

The quality of the photos is excellent and I found them a great indication of the dish because I have already cooked a number of the recipes. The results are as expected, great! This great book proves that you don't have to put up with tasteless food when on a diet.

This is a well structured and thought out book. Well done to all associated with producing it!
on 25 January 2012
I was lucky enough to win this book, a couple of weeks ago, from the lovely Octopus people on Twitter (I recommend giving them a follow, they are always giving hints on upcoming books and holding giveaways.)

I decided to give the book a good workout (you see what I did there? Workout? No?) before reviewing it. So here we go...

Firstly, I should say I used to be vegetarian. I do occasionally eat chicken and turkey now but still don't eat fish and very rarely eat red meat - a bacon sarnie a couple of times a year maybe. As with most recipe books, especially healthy ones, there is some emphasis on fish and I pretty much bypassed these recipes so can't tell you if they were good or not. However, meat recipes I am a dab hand at adapting using Quorn or other meat replacements.

The book itself comes with a two week meal plan as well as some tips ranging from how to work out how much weight you need to (healthily) lose, how to keep it off, how not to cheat, incorporating exercise etc, etc. But as we all know, all us fatties are interested in is what can we eat, how much can we eat and does it taste good? Am I right?

Personally, the portions come up quite small. But then, when a cake box states that it serves 12 I usually find it just about scrapes through in serving the 5 of this family. So therein probably lies my problem. Is this actually what a proper portion is supposed to look like perhaps. Anyway, I found that bulking up with salad on the side helped out there.

The recipes are broken down into six sections: Breakfast - Salads & Vegetables - Soups & Stews - Fish, Poultry & Meat - Desserts - Snacks & Treats. Drool-worthy photos are scattered throughout the book showing beautifully presented dishes. Mine didn't look quite so good I have to admit.

I didn't do the two week plan in the end and I did adapt some recipes - using Quorn mince in the Chilli Con Carne for example and substituting some of the oil, which I was surprised to see used so much, with spray oil. All in all I am pleasantly surprised with The Biggest Loser Cookbook. Yes, the portions seem small to me but that's something I need to deal with in my head I think, maybe buy a smaller plate. The taste of the recipes themselves are delicious and quite surprising in that you are encouraged to have bread, use oil and butter etc. The recipes don't taste at all 'healthy'. Particular favourites have been the South Indian Potato Curry, the Paprika Mushrooms, the Chicken, Bacon & Mushroom Stew and... my personal favourites Chicken with Olives, Lemon & Chickpeas and the Cauliflower Cheese with Smoky Bacon. Doesn't sound like diet food does it? Doesn't taste like it either.

So all in all a thumbs up from me. Not a total 5 stars purely and simply because of all the fish.
on 10 January 2012
So far I'm really impressed with my Biggest Looser cookbook. I've tried 2 soup recipes, both were delicious and really low in kcals and fat. It really is the weather for soup!
I'm vegetarian, and I wasn't expecting to find so many veggie recipes! The others will be great for the rest of the family!

The portion sizes are on the small side, which takes getting used to I find. (that maybe my problem)

It has a great snacks and treat section and a two week plan in there.

It has clear instruction and fab photographs!

I'd recommend!
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2012
A lovely book with lots of handy hits, setting targets and Top Tips from trainers. Great for having in the kitchen with it's wipe clean cover.

I got this book in the New Year and found the Soups and Stews section very appropriate. Each recipe comes witha little foreword that I found interesting reading and it's own calorie count.

Beautifully photographed with very clear and easy to follow step by step instructions some recipes even contained variations.

Each recipe does produce slighlty smaller portions than you expect but that is mainly the key to loosing weight so, tuck in and enjoy, dieting can be interesting and tasty.

After loosing 3 stone in the year before I found this book I am now going to use this book to help me keep the weight off.
on 18 March 2012
Just wishing to loose a few pounds I have tried various diets before but being too complicated, demanding or unmotivating I have given them up one after the other sooner than one can say chocolate cake. However, I thought that perhaps getting a cookbook that simply provides me with recipes for making lighter meals might work for me, and it totally did. I would recommend this book to those who wish to shed some weight in a healthy, uncomplicated and delicious way.
on 29 September 2012
Bought this book following the birth of my 3rd child to help loose my baby weight. I have never been on a diet and thought I would feel deprived and hungry but this book has lots of delicious recipes that all my family are enjoying, and of which I will continue to cook once I reach my target weight. I didn't follow the two week menu in the book, but picked recipes that I would enjoy the most and lost 3lb in my first week. Would recommend.
on 21 April 2012
Very pleased with this book as it gives ideas what you can eat and it doesnt have to be all salads, I needed some inspiration as I am trying to lose weight. Also am fussy about food, there are plenty of choices for desserts too even low fat icecream! Brown rice as an alternative to potatoes, and wholemeal pittas. Book was wrapped and fast post from Amazon, I love this book it will be well used.
This is an attractive, glossy book which not only provides over 100 recipes but also gives you a two week meal planner that you can follow to start you off, plus some guidelines and advice about healthy weight loss over the long-term. There are some good ideas on keeping hunger at bay, and some ideas for 'virtually painless swaps' so that you can reduce your calorie intake without too much difference in taste by just changing a few things that you eat. There are also tips from trainers Rob Edmond and Charlotte Ord. The recipes are divided into six categories: Breakfast, Salads & Vegetables, Soups & Stews, Fish, Poultry & Meat, Desserts, Snacks & Treats. There are lots of lovely illustrations and the food looks really delicious. I love salmon fillets with pesto and pasta, and there are several delicious fish dishes here. This is not about banning foods or going on a starvation diet, this is offering lovely recipes and sensible advice. You just need the willpower to persevere!

I received this book as a competition prize on Twitter from the publishers Octopus Publishing Group, and this is my honest review.
on 22 June 2012
My sister was raving about the recipes in this cookbook so thought I'd give it a go! So far they are delicious! It's very easy to follow your calorie intake and it's got handy hints and tips for planning your meals!
on 27 January 2012
I purchased the book in Kindle format a few days ago and tried couple of meals and they are very tasty. I like the fact (I am watching my calories, sugar and fat intake as I am a bit overweight) that the calories are counted so you don't have to do it! I will be making the soups tomorrow and I can't wait to taste the vegetable cous cous with tomato and chilli sauce!

Update: I've made three soups so far: Carrot and red pepper (watch the water for covering the veg - 500 ml should be enough); Tomato and coriander (without the yogurt)and Smooth leek and potato (soo yumi!).
I've tried to make the healty chips (cut them too thin) but they were delicious.

I am missing a pizza thought. Are they really so bad? I have tried the Gillian McKeith's Sweet potato dough with vegetables pizza and I can't wait to have it for dinner again!