4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves
This seems to me to be a book of two halves. In the first half, Ferris gives a step by step action plan for eliminating non-essential work, outsourcing a lot of the remaining work, and giving a detailed blueprint for designing, test-running and developing an 'automated' on-line businesses (or businesses) - that is, a business whereby most of the functions are performed by...
Published on 4 Jun 2008 by R. Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars Directions for Hiding from the Boss, Starting an Automated Internet Business, and Being a Global Vagabond
Did you know that if the trends of the last two centuries hold, everyone's workweek will be four hours by 2407? What will people do with all that free time? It's a good question that this book recommends you consider.

Mr. Ferriss does a favor for those who hate their jobs but cannot find work they like by explaining how you can still draw a salary while working...
Published on 10 Sep 2007 by Donald Mitchell

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but unconvincing, 3 July 2011
Interesting ideas in this book, but why, in the intro, is he so pleased to get a book deal? If the ideas here work, what difference would a book deal make? I did enjoy this, but got the feeling it could have been called 'How to make a million by writing a book about making a million.'

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical Approach, 9 May 2007
Alex Alvarez - See all my reviews
Timothy Ferriss offers the possibly of a 4 hour work week. At first when I read the title, I thought this was ridiculous. How can anyone work only four hours? So I had to buy this book just to see what Mr. Ferriss proposed.

Well he is asking us to not just dream of getting a million but to live the lifestyle of a millionaire where we rise above boring tasks and learn to live a life that allows time for fun, leisure, travel and other pursuits instead of being chained to an office all day. So what is his principle?

Well it's based on the Pareto principle or the 80-20 rule, which states that 80 percent of the results come from 20 percent of the effort, so instead of working hard, you learn to work effectively. Steven Covey also delves into similar ideas in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Covey encourages us to spend more time sharpening the saw because with sharp saw you can achieve more than working with a dull saw that yields minimal results even with great effort.

Ferriss gives a clear way to analyze where we can maximize our efforts and where we just waste time with needless tasks. For example, checking emails frequently is a low-priority activity and instead you may only need to check it once or twice a day. You can free your time to spend with people in both your personal and professional life.

Once you gain awareness into how to prioritize your activities, you can then eliminate the time-wasters and focus on the most effective use of your time. He recommends that you hire an assistant, find software or even outsource the activity and this a the controversial part of the book, since it gets into a number of ethical issues. Still I can appreciate his line of thinking that we can delegate the work in some way though I believe we must do so within clear ethical guidelines and with fair business practices.

I love this book for providing some sound advice on effective time-management strategies. I've also been reading "Nexus: A Neo Novel" and I recommend it for offering a powerful spiritual message of compassion and personal transformation. In "Nexus" Logan Andrews works hard to meet deadlines as a journalist but his emotional state leads to a breakdown. At a spiritual retreat, he is forced through many unusual experiences to re-evaluate his life. Both books are different and good in their own way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly practical, eminently doable, but....., 1 Mar 2014
This is your launching book to make a small business while doing what real business people know to do: minimise the admin. and he points you in the direction of other materials, such as books on how to come up with ideas, market testing etc

Having said that, he doesn't make it clear that not everyone is suited to his formula. I think that this is part of the reason for criticism of the book "Unrealistic" "selling a dream" etc but note that these people haven't tried it.

It's also out of date.

Even so, while you may not be able to execute on it as fully as he does, the advice he gives will help you to cheaply market test and then set up multiple small businesses while significantly reducing personal overhead and workload.

5 stars for the overall book, one star off for selling it as if anyone can do it, one star off for being out of date.

2.0 out of 5 stars I feel tricked, 18 May 2007
The book teaches to make money while working as little as possible, how to seem an expert on a subject, etc. Several times while reading the book I felt like the author just pulled the tricks he teaches on me by tricking me into buying the book. Someone may argue that this can seen as proof that it works.

The book shows lack of background research. Take for instance the chapter "The Last Chapter: an E-mail You Must Read". The author claims it contains piece of a letter from a terminally ill girl. This however is a widely known hoax chain letter (see for instance snopes.com). The contained poem is written by David L. Weatherford, an adult male child psychologist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book to Escape the Rat-Race, 25 Aug 2014
The 4 Hour Work Week is an engaging and inspiring read that will motivate you to take action on your dreams of working less hours and doing more of what you love to do. This is the original Life Style Design book where you will learn how to come up with workable plans to escape your 9 to 5 job. If you feel a defiant urge to free yourself from the 40/40 Plan, you'll find this treasure trove beneficial and uplifting.

The only critical point I'd make is that you'll probably be working more than 4 hours a week on your "muse business," but you can realistically reduce your hours down significantly from 40/50 hours per week.

Colin G Smith, author of, Difficult People: Dealing With Difficult People At Work (Quick Start Guide)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Inpirational, OH MY GOD YES!, 6 Aug 2008
Ok, the title I gave this review is a wee bit exaggerated, but this book actually has changed the way I work, both in my job and at home.

Some of the key take-aways from this book:
- If you dislike your job so much that you can only look forward to retirement, you are in the wrong job
- Find ways to automate as many tasks as possible. Outsource, outsource, outsource.
- Stop doing the things that don't add value. Look for the 20% that makes an actual difference.

There's an entire section aimed at budding entrepreuneurs that I skipped over quickly as I have no intetion of starting my own business. But if you're looking for ways to cut out the waste in your life and find time for yourself, then this might be the book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars A load of tosh!, 3 Dec 2014
A. Read (UK) - See all my reviews
I was really excited about reading this book as I had heard it recommended, but I found it very disappointing. The writer seems to be such an egotistical, bigoted, morally dodgy person and this really comes across in his writing unfortunately. It is very alpha-male stuff. It is also encouraging people to be unethical, to be out for what they can get and not care about who you tread on or what laws you break in the process. Apart from all that, I just didn't find anything that useful in it at all. Don't bother reading this book - it's a load of rubbish!

3.0 out of 5 stars Trivial Diversion.., 23 Jun 2008
The book is fun for the first 150 pages, then tails off into quite a tedious read. By then, all the book seems to be is famous quotes mixed with adverts for websites, glued together with vague case studies.

The chapter on faking expertise was very amusing, but I read the book so I guess the joke is on me.

It would serve as a holiday book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful life changing read!, 19 Aug 2008
Tim Ferriss has really hit the nail on the head with this book. I, like many others I am sure, have been preoccupied with trying to find a golden million making idea, all the while slogging it out in the 9 to 5. Alas, those ideas are rare and Tim Ferriss enlightens us with the fact that it is the 'millionaire lifestyle' we all covet as opposed to the millionaire material items. He admits that those items such as fast cars, big houses etc are nice but it is time, quality time at that, which is so precious to us. Time to relax and time with our loved ones. That and really seeing the world by planning 'mini-retirements' as opposed to short holidays so you can really take in the culture and heart of where you are rather than just sit by a pool. However, that is also fine if that is what you want to do!

Learning new skills is also emphasised in this book, and scheduling time to expand our minds and learn. He really focuses on achieving your chosen lifestyle and having a business, but not a business which you have to spend 12 hours a day cosseting, a business that in essence 'looks after itself'. Outsourcing the main administration and dogsbody aspects of your chosen business is suggested to leave you time to really live your life.

The book is packed full of inspirational ideas and really got me buzzing with enthusiasm. I have read many books like this one but none have made me sit up and say 'yes, this is not how things have to be - I can do this!'. A week later and I have come up with my plan, and have handed my notice in! After all we only get one shot at this life....so adhere to the warning that is on the back...don't read this book if you don't want to quit your job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Only for those that really want to get FOCUSED, 12 May 2008
S. Nuzum "AdventureTime" (Southamton, UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book at the start of this year (2008) and it's totally changed my way of thinking.

Comments such as 'it's not millions that we want, but the experiences that we believe only millions can buy', that help get you thinking. Also there are plenty of people earning a good wage, although do they have any time to enjoy life? What we all want is the TIME to do the things that excite us - that requires an automated system, he helps you form this, but first:

When you define those adventure holidays or trips around the world, you realise that they don't cost that much!!! But by actually DEFINING it you start to focus on HOW you can get it - within 6 months of course.

You work out what money you need per day in order to live your dream lifestyle. Then you work towards getting that: 4 step process
DEFINITION
ELIMINATION
AUTOMATION
LIBERATION

He provides lots of recommendations and useful tips on using the internet throughout the book and highlights the vast opportunities we now have within the new 'digital age'.

Great book for anyone who wants to improve their life and get more focused in obtaining the experiences that you most want.

I'm a budding entrepreneur and it's helped me out very much! I'm presently automating my life and planning a number of adventures including cycling the US, Travelling to Spain for a month of skydiving, Diving with sharks, adventures in the Amazon, and many more! I'm in the process of starting a blog, feel free to contact me for further guidance! Search Sean Nuzum

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›