Format: Audio Download|Change

on 7 September 2011
I had a hard time choosing an edition when I decided to get a copy of The Jungle Book, which is the main reason I am writing this review. I had a fairly clear idea of what I wanted: all the stories, hard cover, something I could use with young students (which unfortunately ruled out the edition illustrated by the Detmold brothers - which has absolutely spectacular illustrations, but nudity is a bit of a no-no these days for teachers) and something that would not remind anyone of the Disney film, which is great, but the book is something else entirely. I am really happy to have chosen this edition! It's a lovely book, good size, with less than a dozen half-page black and white illustrations by Scott McKowen. There are a few unobtrusive footnotes which seem like they might prove helpful and a series of 15 questions at the end by Arthur Pober. There's even a brief explanation of the technique used to create the illustrations. I quite like the illustrations too, they are surprisingly modern and at the same time reminiscent of hundred year old wood-cuts.
on 12 March 2010
I bought this book years ago for my kids to read (or for me to read to my kids), and somehow neither they nor I ever got around to it. They won't read it now (it's all Harry Potter and Twilight...) so, as I'm ashamed to admit I've never actually read any Kipling, I decided to read it instead. I rather enjoyed it and I will certainly look out for some more.

Of course it's not like the cartoon - I didn't expect it to be - in fact it comes from a completely different viewpoint; there's nothing cosy and Disneyfied about this, but rather something primitive, a barely restrained savagery; Mowgli is still in very real danger from Shere Khan, but that danger runs very much in the opposite direction as well. `Feet that make no noise; eyes that can see in the dark; ears that can hear the wind in their lair, and sharp white teeth.'

The Mowgli stories are the best, `Rikki-tikki-tavi' is also pretty good but `Her Majesty's Servants' kind of lets the side down at the end. Still well worth a read.
on 25 September 2013
I wanted a copy of jungle book with good coloured illustrations but NOT Disney. This was exactly what I was looking for.
on 11 October 2012
The Jungle Book is well known as a title, but the majority of people have probably never read it; it's much more likely that they will know the story from having seen the cartoon film of the same name by Walt Disney. The book is actually a series of short stories of which the story of Mowlgli is the first; there are number of other stories that are included, of which "Rikki Tikki Tavi" is a perennial favourite.

The book can seem a little dated; it was written over a hundred years ago and the language and attitudes reflect those of the time. However, the book is still very readable and contains some wonderful images of animal behaviour when seen through the eyes of human realtionships. Rudyard Kipling was a great writer and this book was aimed at educating and entertaining children and it does that in a very straight forward way. It's also noticecable that some of the ideas in the book could be seen from the view of an environmentalist trying to encourage people to think about what is happening in the world.

I found that the Kindle version was not quite as well partitioned as I would have liked; the various sectiosn run into one another without having an obvious break. This can be a little confusing, although it doesn't spoil it too much.

I would suggest that if you are a parent with young children and wnat something suitable to read to them before bedtime, this book could something that they will learn to love and enjoy for many years.
on 2 December 2010
I loved the Jungle Book. I was surprised since I expected it to be hard to understand given the era when it was wrote but I quickly found myself immersed in the stories included.

I was also surprised that it featured more than one story. I thought the Jungle Book would just feature the story of Mowgli, like on the Disney film but it also features 5 other stories, each of which are good reads.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is quite a famous tale and well worth checking out. It tells the story of a Mongoose working to protect a human family from a family of snakes.

I loved it! Brilliant book and well worth getting.
on 28 June 2010
I'd been tearing my hair out trying to find books to inspire my 9 year old son. He'd moved on from Horrid henry, Captain Underpants and the like but was showing no interest at all in other modern classics despite being a good reader. Then I found Rikki Tikki Tavi in an old collection of mine - and he was hooked. Flew through the Just So Stories - then onto The Jungle Book - seemed unpeturbed by the old fashioned language - and hooked on the danger and violence that permeate these survival stories. Nothing the slightest bit PC about these - but full of suspense and great characterisation. Highly recommended.
Kindle book downloaded for the children and they loved it. There is not much more I can say about this classic book - other than what a great way to introduce young children to classic literature than downloading it for free onto the Kindle!!
The Jungle Book was first published in 1894, and The Second Jungle Book in 1895, and amongst the pages we read of Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera, Shere Khan and all the other characters that have become so well known. Not all the tales take place in this setting though as you have a tale about Inuits, a white seal, Rikki-Tikki the mongoose, other animals, and a boy who is taken to see the elephants dance.

I should think that most older people will have read these books before, but for those who are new to these then you may be surprised if you are only aware of the Disney movie. Some of these tales are more violent than portrayed in cartoons, so be prepared, remember Tennyson wrote ‘Tho’ Nature, red in tooth and claw’.

In all, these tales make for entertaining reading and this is both for young and old. Kipling’s writing here really brings to life the landscapes and characters, giving this a little more depth than is usual for such stories. Entertaining people for generations this looks like it will continue to do so for many more generations to come.

on 27 June 2010
Does just what it says on the tin!
Brilliant little book which is a summary of the jungle book story - ideal for bedtime reading for a Disney film fan. Some reviews say it looks like a photocopy, and yes the pages aren't of the highest publishing quality, but the pictures are bright and replicate the artwork of the film and have made one two year old very happy!