Visconti Laptop Case Messenger Bag - Leather - 16072 Foster - Oil Brown
Colour Name: Oil BrownChange
Price:£99.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 April 2013
I've been rocking rucksacks on my commute to London forever, but decided it's time to grow up and project a more refined image.

This bag, colour and style is ridiculously masculine for a style that could easily end up being described as 'man bag'. No one would dare call this a man bag - it looks like it would beat you up and go cowboy on your a** if you tried.

The distressed leather, the raw manly deep brown suede-effect colour and texture all conspire to create an effect that is very modern and highly complementary to a seriously professional or even casual look.

In terms of its usefulness as an actual bag, it has a zip pocket on the front which is ideal for Kindle or paper stowage.. I.e quick access on the tube etc.. And this also makes it look quite modern too as it breaks up the front and stops it looking plain/like every other messenger style bag out there.

The colours and stitching are also really complementary and offer a kind of 'two tone' effect (on the oil brown version at least).

The main compartment is generous, I ditched the laptop sleeve it comes with but it's a nice touch, well padded and very useful if you need one. It also has a large open compartment at the back of the bag - ideal for an iPad or other tablet, but could easily fit a light jumper etc...

I often need to carry a Macbook pro retina 13" and a small thinkpad with me, and the bag fits both and isn't too unwieldy because of it.

The front of the bag under the flap has an open compartment and a zipped compartment ideal for paperwork, and there's a similar zipped compartment at the back too.

There's a couple of Pen inserts available and some card slots; all very useful - one pouch is big enough to hold some in-ear headphones.

You can't cram as much in as you can with a rucksack.. But such is the price of luxury and style :)

The only 'downside' to this style is there's no handle on the 'top' for briefcase-like carrying - this isn't a fault of the bag at all, this style doesn't typically have such a handle - it's just something I'll have to get used to; basically the only way to carry it is to sling it over your shoulder; there's no other way (which you can do either straight over one shoulder or cross-body, depending entirely on how manly you are).

With this in mind, it is a slight disappointment that the padded part of the strap is... well... there's not much to it. But I guess you probably shouldn't be schlepping two laptops around in this/filling it with too much heavy stuff - so really it shouldn't be a problem for most.

I initially rated this bag as four out of five stars (mostly because of the shoulder strap padding being lacking), but to be honest, it's a 5 star bag and I've marked it as such - it's super-high quality, versatile, spacious, well designed in terms of the storage options, the strap joins and stitching look like they'll last for the duration - and it smells effing lovely ^_^ I think we're gonna be pals for a loooong time.

I'll just have to now work out how I'm going to bring gym kit to work with me, a water bottle and an umbrella which now longer fit :-( d'oh
on 13 September 2012
Well I thought long and hard and looked at dozens of messenger bags, from the "Mulberry Fakes" to the Visconti range. Bag is everything I could ask, it is manly color and oiled finish dark brown. The whole thing is beautifully finished inside and out and I am delighted. Room for Ipad and Panasonic camcorder as well as other numerous flat zip compartment for papers etc. But beware of the guide included to avoid light clothing for a while as some staining from leather finish might transfer. The usual outstanding service from Amazon, and suppliers only charged £3.95 next day delivery postage.
David
on 17 October 2014
Very nice bag; lovely looking, smart, and very well made.

Things I particularly like:

1. the pocket on the flap; great for passports/boarding cards etc. (though see dislikes too)

2. the removable laptop cover - goes perfectly with the bag, makes storing/removing your laptop very easy (great for airpoirts), and provides another layer of protection

3. excellent quality throughout - there are very few flaws that I can see

Things I don't like:

1. It's not actually all that roomy; once you have your laptop in there, a notebook, some stationary etc., there's precious little room left for the power pack and a mouse; it all fits, but I tend to have to find other places to put my kindle and tablet; this might improve over time as the the leather softens. My laptop is very thin and light - I imagine a slightly more bulky laptop would probably mean having to remove the laptop compartment. At the moment I am regretting not buying a larger bag from the same manufacturer, though none of the others were as nice looking

2. too many pockets (I know, odd complaint); counting the pocket on the flap, there's 6 pockets; they're all well done with beautiful zippers (not all are zippered) and lining, however I can't help but feel that the bag would have more capacity if less of the room was taken up with the lining required for the numerous pockets - these days I use very little paper, and the pockets are all sized for letters, papers and similar (the full width/depth of the bag, but they're all thin) - I've used three of them (flap for passport, outside back for letters, one inside for receipts and similar) - I don't imagine ever needing six, and given how little I use them, I have gone through the "which pocket is my paper in" routine more than once

3. the strap is sewn (and riveted) directly to the bag, with no clips or carabiner style fastenings; when carrying it, it does appear that the point where the strap attaches the bag is quite stressed along one edge (depending on which shoulder you carry it on) - now I've seen no evidence that this is actually a problem, however it does feel like over time it might become one

4. the magnetic clasps, whilst beautiful, are too fiddly; once it's closed, it's quite secure, however it's sometimes a pain to get the flap studs to match the body studs; I'd have preferred something a that clicked together with a little less manual intervention; this is particularly evident when it's full; I end up fiddling around trying to match the flap magnet with the sockets on the body quite frequently

5. I like the pocket on the flap, however when accessing it I almost always end up pulling the flap away from the magnetic attachments and then end up having to fiddle with it to reclasp the flap (per point 4 above)
on 23 November 2012
the only downside with this product was the laptop case inside the bag will not fit a 15 inch laptop I looked at other messenger bags and this was by far the best on the market for the price
on 29 June 2014
Great bag but a squash for 17+ lap - had to take out the inner pocket luckily it is a loose - a15" would fit fine. It's an excellent quality bag and as a woman I like the different sections and being able to walk hands free and the security of it being more secure than a handbag in that it would be near impossible for a pick pocket to get into in a crowd.
on 6 August 2015
I had done my usual tons of research into all sorts of messenger bags and this one fit the bill for my requirements. A 'manly' messenger bag that would fit a 13 inch macbook pro, be versatile inbetween brown and black, and be decent sized but not too large. My primary concern was about the staining / rubbing of the leather onto clothes which I've read about in other Visconti products. I decided to take a dive anyways, even rang their customer service ahead of time - deciding that I could try and rub the so-called 'excess oil/colour' which causes permanent stains on clothes.

Well, unfortunately after several months of use - and rubbing the bag against coarse materials trying to remove the 'excess oil/colour' -- this bag still stains significantly. So I only dare wear this with jeans and a shirt I don't much more, which is not ideal.

So overall a good product, primarily at this price - but it rubs against the body/clothes - and stains permanently I'm sad to say.
on 27 July 2013
I needed a smarter "bag" for work and hate the rucksacks that come with company laptops. I thought long and hard over which bag to buy, briefcases were never in contention, so a messenger bag it had to be. Even then, I found 3 messenger bags I liked and kept them in my basket for 3 months before making up my mind on this one.Once ordered it was delivered quickly, and like all good quality leather products, it came in a "breathable" bag. It looks great, and as with all leather products, you need to look after it, as it will mark and get scratched. I take the view that this adds character. So far, I am more than happy with the bag itself, and the only drawback is that to be able to really fit anything other than a laptop in the main compartent, you can't use the laptop insert that comes with the bag. Although, the plus point is that I no longer carry half the "essential" stuff around with me and my back is a lot happier!
on 18 October 2013
The messenger bag is a quality item which is finished to a high standard compared to similar products. This one is just the right size for work and will look okay at weekends. The design is thoughtful with many useful storage possibilities.
on 15 February 2014
My Son loved the case he travels a lot and it holds all that he requires for working on his plane trips abroad.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is working so well for me. In my job as a Wellness coach I need to be able to carry documents, laptops, iPads and other digital products around with me as well as a girl's essentials
this works well
The strap could have been a bit more adjustable, but if you like to swing low, no problem