4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
I watched this film in the cinema, being both a Robert Pattinson and Reece Witherspoon fan, and it didn't disappoint. I wasn't sure what to expect at all, the storyline wasn't something that particularly interested me (unlike Mr P!), but I was absolutely blown away!

The cinematography was fantastic, the acting by everyone was believable and memorable. As an...
Published on 25 Oct 2011 by London Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read the book, you'll love it
I have recently read Water for Elephants and it is one of my favourite reads of the year. I loved it for the detail and the way everything was described. You could almost imagine being there.

Anyway, my other half bought me the film to watch so I thought I would compare the two. I watched the film after reading the book, as I always do.

I'm left a...
Published on 12 Nov 2011 by C. Rucroft

3.0 out of 5 stars Innocuous family film, 25 Aug 2014
Denise (Stanton Harcourt, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A fairly faithful representation of the book of the same name, acting OK - especially the elephant! The sort of film that would suit family viewing.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Water For Elephants [DVD] (DVD)
Not too great as I had hoped :-( Very disappointed as gave away to my sister as gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice film and a bit different to the norm - ..., 19 July 2014
Mrs. C. I. Evans (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water For Elephants [DVD] (DVD)
A nice film and a bit different to the norm - and only £3 - can't go wrong for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Water For Elephants [DVD] (DVD)
Lovely emotive film watched and enjoyed by a middle aged woman and a 21 yr old male

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
Fantastic romance and I love elephants so 2 for the price of 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sep 2014
Beautiful film for the romantics and also animal lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stunning in every way, 28 May 2011
What a stunning film!

Jacob (Robert Pattinson) is a vet student at Cornell, just about to sit his final exam when his parents are killed in a car accident. He is left penniless as his parents had huge debts having borrowed heavily to pay for his university fees. Homeless and despondent he hitches a ride on a train, which by chance happens to be transporting a circus from one town to another. He joins the circus and is set to work initially shoveling manure. He diagnoses the symptoms of one of the performing horses, and is taken on as the circus vet. Jacob falls for the beautiful Marlena (Reese Witherspoon) who performs with the horses. She is married to the jealous and violent August (Christoph Waltz).

The noise, smells and excitement of the circus really comes through in this excellent film. The financial worries in times of recession lead to the offloading, literally, of circus staff when August cannot afford them. The bickering and sometimes brutality of people living too close together for too long seems very believable.

When Rosie, an elephant, joins the circus, it is Jacob's job to look after her and train her - August expects the training to be achieved using a bull hook and violence. Marlena is expected to perform on Rosie.

Rosie becomes the star attraction of the circus. Jacob and Marlena become ever closer.

Do watch this lovely film to find out what happens

5.0 out of 5 stars Watering eyes about an elephant and a love story, 18 Oct 2011
A. M. Smithwhite "Amba Smithwhyte" (Paignton, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Loved this romantic story set in the gritty, poverty of the depression of the 1930s n America.
A circus travelling around by rail to each town where everyone is hungry and only the animals get to eat regularly.
A young man who's just finished his vet training and lost his (Polish-born) parents in a RTA joins the circus. He falls head over heels in love with the beautiful blonde wife of the sadistic owner. An elephant is acquired who only understands Polish commands as the vet discovers. Love triumphs, they marry when she is widowed, leave the circus and take the elephant with them. They have five sons and eventually he is alone, an old, old man, telling his tale to two latter day circus folk. Lovely tale, bitter-sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Pattinson's Best Performance to Date, 14 Sep 2011
Dazzling scenery wowed me in this beautiful film. Christopher Waltz is awesome as the Evil August. So much brutality coming from him, there were moments of horror. Reese Witherspoon looked amazing as Marlena. The actress performed beautifully when with the horses, and especially with Rosie the Elephant, who completely stole every scene that she was in! Robert Pattinson, made me forget all about his previous roles, he was Jacob and he was brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, 5 Sep 2011
I watched the film when it came out in the cinema, then I absolutely had to read the book.
I must say that the film does stay quite true to the book, unlike many other films i have watched (ie time travellers wife) with a little detail missed out but I guess there is only so much you can cram into a film. Robert plays Jacob beautifully it was easy to separate him from twilight which was one of my concerns as I am a huge fan,the characters are all believable, with August being just as vile as he is in the book.
YOu can't help but feel for poor Rosie and then cheer when she becomes the heroine ( I never though I could feel so much love for an elephant)
Al;l in all I enjoyed it at the cinema and I am sure to be ordering it as soon as I finish this review. A must see!!!

Water For Elephants [DVD]
Water For Elephants [DVD] by Francis Lawrence (DVD - 2011)