1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a failure, and not an Heroic one either!, 26 Mar 2012
D. S. CROWE "Music Lover" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Helden (Audio CD)
I am not in general enamoured of recital discs of opera extracts. Prior to this, the last one I bought was by Jonas Kaufmann as it was and is the only opportunity to hear him in any Wagner on CD-more is the pity!
I was intrigued by this collection because of the hype promoting it as being by "Bayreuth's new lead tenor", the conducting of the highly underrated Peter Schneider and the fact that I had already found Vogt's voice too light for the role in my review of the van Zweden Parsifal. I hoped to find that he had acquired some Baritonal depth and more vocal heft in general.
If I indicate that the highlights of this collection are the purely orchestral selections and the Mozart aria, this will give you immediate confirmation that my hopes were not fulfilled!
Indeed, if anything, his voice is even lighter than I experienced on the Parsifal, so much so that he sounds at times as if he is singing falsetto-when he is not!
He has a beautiful voice-sort of-but worryingly there is already evidence of the degradation that afflicts so many light voiced singers who try to "big up" to heavier roles-yes, there are very pleasing ringing and secure top notes, but the beginnings of unsteadiness in the lower registers!
His light open throated tenor is well suited to the Mozart, very pleasing in the Lortzing rarity, passable in the Weber extracts, but totally unsuited to the Wagner roles and actually very poor in the live duet by Korngold.
In this last, to make matters worse, he is partnered by a shrill soprano unsteady of legato and pitch and Vogt himself sounds laboured and clumsy.
On that subject, it is incomprehensible to me that the ineptly sung "Ach So Fromm" from Flotow's Martha was included-his clumsy sweep up to the final cadence is jarringly awful.
I made the point in my review of the Parsifal that though Vogt sings and phrases well in that performance, his voice was totally unsuited to that role being far too light. In this collection, there is already evidence of vocal deterioration and some really clumsy phrasing, too much to offset the limited pleasures that are offered.
Schneider conducts affectionately and effectively, the orchestra is superb and the recording first class, but the whole exercise is depressingly disappointing.
I am not aware as to who is guiding Vogt's career, but he would be advised to redirect it to the lighter end of the repertoire as I fear that his attempts at the main roles in Wagner and heavier roles in general are not only not artistically unsatisfying, but are likely to lead to vocal degradation such as afflicted Peter Hofmann. If he must continue in Wagner, his obvious roles are Steuermann, David, Froh and possibly even Loge-beyond that the voice is just too light.
Not recommended other than to any dedicated fans. Stewart Crowe.

Helden
Helden by Klaus Florian Vogt (Audio CD - 2012)