5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible much?
After the first few pages I had decided that I identified with fat, mad, Rae more than any person, real or fictional, in my entire life. The whole thing reads remarkably similar to my own teenage diary.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever been told they were the funny one and really, really hated it.
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by L. C. Mosley

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read
Diary entries turned into novels might not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a diary/biograpy My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl actually works.

The story is told by an overweight, insecure 17 year old Rae who tells us that she was admitted into a psychiatric ward for severe OCD and paranoia. Throughout the diary you learn how insecure Rae is in terms of her...
Published 1 month ago by Samantha

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
Rae Earl is someone every big girl can relate to, she's witty and makes us all feel more normal! Will definitely be easing the second one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average the programme was funnier, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
I bought this after watching the TV Series.
When reading book i found the descriptions a little lacking.
Was funny and would still recommend reading

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the series I'm afraid but still good read, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
An insight into what goes on in the mind of a tormented teenage girl with parent and body issues with a twist of fun to keep you reading

3.0 out of 5 stars Was good but not as good as the show...., 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
I generally enjoy a book more so than a movie or a tv show but sometimes the tv show can out do the book. This is the case, just like vampire diaries.

Now I know that the show is based on this book BUT the characters are so likeable on tv that it is hard to relate to any of them in the book. Each moment that Rae goes through is easy to relate to, and you find yourself thing, jeez I have been there! But I just could not connect to the book character.

I also couldn't put any faces to the characters as they are so different and I do prefer a little bit of likeness,

Over all I would recommend this book as it is an enjoyable read but I would actually recommend the tv show more as that is just a step above the rest.

Happy reading folks :)

4.0 out of 5 stars So alike, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book but mostly cos sadly some of it mirrored parts of my teenage life! Well worth a read as long as you take it for what it is - a teenage girl's diary!

2.0 out of 5 stars no where near as funny as the tv series, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
Disappointing, i wish i hadnt bought it, no where near as funny as the tv series, just pages of whinging and rambling

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 29 July 2014
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
Such a funny book and so true to teenage life. Would read it again and again :)
Definitely worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to laugh, cry and fall in love with a man named after a fish?!, 1 Feb 2008
Emma Drury (Grantham, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
WARNING: Do not, repeat, do not read this book if you are looking for a sickly sweet, fluffy, dull romance that Dame Barbara Cartland would be proud of. Oh no, this book is not for the faint-hearted or for those who can't master a complex story which will, in turn, make you roar with laughter and weep with sadness. Your heart reaches out for Rae, who has parts of her story that all of us can identify with (unrequited love, no money, being overweight and/or overlooked, moping to Morrissey) but parts that most of us can only imagine how it feels (living in a council house and going to a posh school, spending time in a psychiatric ward and having a mum who marries a bodybuilder who arrives from Morocco with pigeon English and a vast appetite).
And the perfect 80s nostalgia, if you lived through those halcyon years, is enough to escort you back to your own teenage years...
Give it a go, you won't regret a moment of it (or the price you paid)!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this, 12 Oct 2007
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
I thought the book was fab, really enjoyed reading it could not put it down. It takes you back to those teenage years with the tough times and all the laughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!!!, 12 Oct 2007
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
Wow, what a superb read!!! laughed, cried and need to know what happens next... is there more??? WE need it!!!!!!!!!

My Mad Fat Diary