You know I love Lili's writing, right? This year she managed to round up nicely two of her series - Jill Kismet and Strange Angels, so I'm eagerly awaiting what she'll come up with next.

Published on 28 Dec 2011 by kara-karina (Nocturnal Book Re...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure...
Published on 12 Jun 2012 by Elle L

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of Maria V.Snyder's fantasy series it's a must read!, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Hedgewitch Queen: The Romance of the Arquitaine - Book One (Kindle Edition)

I loved The Hedgewitch Queen for two reasons - it's a fantasy very much akin to Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder - dark enough, brutal enough with a strong female protagonist who presses all the right buttons for me :) Second reason is that despite being fantasy it's not too long, I've read it in few hours and was really shocked by how abruptly it ended. I want MORE and I want it NOW!

What did I like about Vianne? She is a medicine woman, a healer, so self-sacrificing is a must. She comes off as pretty weak in the beginning, but there are good reasons for it. She fights her destiny because she doesn't want people to die for her, and she cries and faints a lot because her body is totally wrecked with fever induced by enemy's sorcery.

As soon as our lady comes to terms with what she is and what needs to be done, she turns to be pragmatic, ruthless and Machiavellian enough so it's an absolute pleasure to read about her. She doesn't let men dictate her what to do and she goes with her instincts no matter what. You go, girl!

Tristan on the other hand is classic Valek, assassin of the previous King with his own agenda, he is dark, cold-blooded and pretty bloodthirsty. Vianne as far as I can see is his only weakness. That man will do anything for the girl, in fact he had a crash on her for years, but was too afraid to openly show his feelings.

Funnily enough despite all the men in Vianne's life she is the one who ends up saving everyone's ass over and over again. Classy. She really doesn't need all the knights in shining armour, and it filled me with glee to no end.

So yeah, not going into the plot itself so I won't give you any spoilers. All you need to know, - it's fast, pretty straightforward and quite realistic. This is no fairy tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure..., 12 Jun 2012
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this book immediately after Fire and Thorns, thinking it would be as good. But i am struggling to finish it. The issue is that i don't really like Vianne, the heroine. She spends the first half of the book being a wreck, falling apart, acting as a victim and generally getting on my nerves. She reminded me of the criticisms that Bella from Twilight got, the endless whining and feeling sorry for herself, propelled by feelings of inadequacy, doubt and self-sacrifice but to an annoying degree. And Tristan, the love interest, was a bit one dimensional, always there for her, always loving her, but no real character that the reader could feel attached to. On the contrary Elisa, the Fire and Thorns heroine which is the most recent book i read, was courageous, smart, quick on her feet, even though she started off as insubstantial and girly and weak as Vianne. She grew up faster and learned to deal with the bad cards life threw at her with much more dignity and courage, which was inspiring.
The story itself was decent, a tragic overturning of events that led the heroine to flee with a company of Guards loyal to her followed by adventures, but with a lot of self-doubting sections that never end.
The language was strange too, as if the writer was trying to immerse herself in this Victorian-like writing that made the whole narration feel a bit wooden.
I will persevere with this book, as i want to see what happens in the end, but it was not one of my favorite books of all times. Maybe 3.5 stars....

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hedgewitch Queen, 14 Aug 2013
I thought this book was very good, but it can be a bit dark at times. I thought the story line was great and many unexpected things were revealed at the end- however I hate cliff- hangers!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a gem!, 5 Feb 2013
I can't believe I've had this gem sitting on my (virtual) shelves for so long!

What a great change of pace for the author and for me recent reading! This is straight up fantasy. I was hooked from page 1. Lilith Saintcrow can write!

Vianne is a character who has human foibles. I love characters who stay true to themselves and still adapt to the world around them. I'm right there with her, trying to fathom the reasons behind Tristan's words and action.

At times I wanted was nearly frustrated with Vainne's reluctance to accept the traumatic changes to her world. However, I never actually got to that point because the storytelling delicately clarified the world in which Vianne grew up and how her perception of her role in life became so fixed. And, ultimately, she her view of the world and her place in it expanded.

I've got to go find book 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Enjoyable Read!!!!, 27 Mar 2012
Lilith Saintcrow is one of my favourite authors and she definitely didn't dissapoint me with this book. The Hedgewitch Queen is full of mystery and intrigue between figuring out court plots and avoiding murder and narrow escapes this book keeps you hooked the whole way through. The lead character Vianne is likeable and very admirable and more importantly you can identify with her and how the realm of Kings,Queens,Chivaliers is fraught with more dangers then one might have guessed I highly reccomend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars "Summat" too much, 11 Dec 2011
Lilith Saintcrow writes in a blog at:[...] that she "wrote The Hedgewitch Queen, let's see, ]mumblemumble[ years ago, in a feverish haze. ..." and one can tell! Its clearly the naive work of a young author, it has all the hallmarks of wish fulfilment, written in the first person the author identifies with the beautiful young, brave, clever, misunderstood servant who would be queen, who is now surrounded and loved by a bevy of brave handsome young men.

The book might have some clever ideas, the twist on medieval Europe as the landscape for example, but it is self indulgent and requires a strong edit. Orbit were right to have rejected this book first time round and were wrong to have published it now, though they clearly hedged their bets by only publishing it electronically!

What is this word "summat" that is used so frequently? "...I sensed he had summat to say..." I really wish that he didn't!