1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars This doesn't do it for me....., 7 Jan 2013
BevS (East Anglia, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It's Not Shakespeare (Kindle Edition)
Well, as anyone who follows my reviews knows, I'm absolutely mad about Amy Lane books, and would willingly fill a Kindle just with her stories (in fact I may have to), but this one just didn't do it for me, I couldn't believe in it, and yes, I know it's a work of fiction, but it doesn't feel credible.

I found it very hard to believe that a college professor would have a relationship with a garage mechanic, especially one that is so much younger than him (no, I'm certainly not a snob and don't have any issues with age). OK, so the fact that James is recovering from a very bad break up back on the East Coast, and is hellishly lonely other than for his dog Marlowe, and that Rafael looks like an underwear model who would get anyone's motor running I can understand, but to presume that this could carry on into a relationship instead of several hot one-night-stands, I somehow can't quite get to grips with.
Another problem I had was the fact that Rafael speaks in slang sometimes, and it's very hard (for me as an English person) to follow. The book naturally assumes you can understand Mexican/Spanish street slang (not many people on this side of the pond can I would hazard a guess). I know Amy calls this 'code-switching' (the ability to speak proper English with certain people in certain situations and a less formal, slangy English with other people and other situations), but for me, it just alienated Rafael as a character even more.
I have to admit that I didn't actually finish this book, which for me is an upsetting thing to have happen, especially one of Amy's books. Sorry.

ARRAY(0xa82ea2e8)