on 4 February 2012
I had been looking at Bluray players for months, reading reviews, checking prices, comparing features etc. I had my limit set at £100 but then started to realise that "smart" players were pretty feature rich and being a Lovefilm subscriber started to wonder about internet aware players. I up'd my limit and looked around the £150 mark and Sony just shone in that area so I bought the 580 because it had wifi built in, had every feature I wanted and looked slim.

I unpacked the 580, plugged it all in and had it going in what seemed like a couple of minutes - the firmware updated automatically. I copied some MP4 videos onto a USB drive, plugged it into the Sony and played it instantly - top marks there. I then registered it with Sony, downloaded the iPhone app and played with that for a while - very impressive. I then linked it to my LoveFilm account and had the kids watching a streamed movie. Finally I watched a Bluray film - Bourne Identity - I thought my TV was good but this 580 makes it brilliant - sorry Sony, you've done yourselves out of a TV sale :-)

All in all this is one of the best devices I've bought for the home, very capable, quick, easy to use, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Sony, you are stars!

I confess I did buy an All-in-One URC-7960 to control everything and it works well with the 580.

If you want a great Bluray drive (it does 3D but my TV doesn't) you should get one of these, simples.
66 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2014
Device is fine, no problems at all. However sony can do better with upgrading their smart TV User Interface. its Rubbish compared to Samsung or LG. but the device is fine and plays all my various disc formats
on 23 September 2014
A very useful way to give presents that the person receiving will like.