5.0 out of 5 stars Sixth album and still going strong
Whilst she may dismay some out there I have to confess- I am a huge rihanna fan. And I think there are few out there who don't like even 1 of her songs (although they may never admit it.)

Published on 27 Mar 2012 by Pepper

3.0 out of 5 stars ''Talk That Talk'' - Rihanna CD 2011
Rihanna's latest album 'Talk That Talk' is a predictable affair, and doesn't quite live up to the hype of her last few albums like 'Good Girl Gone Bad' and 'Rated R'. But even with the tried-and-tested album formula, there are still some club-banger songs and catchy melodies, making it an altogether enjoyable, but not exceptional album.

''You Da One'' - The...
Published on 9 Dec 2011 by ''Rebel Flower''

5.0 out of 5 stars Sixth album and still going strong, 27 Mar 2012

Some may think it excessive, this being her sixth album. But she doesn't seem to be boring everyone quite yet, with her hits racing to the top of the charts. And it seems like there are more to come if "Talk That Talk" is anything to go by.

"You Da One" begins the album, and it instantly gives you a "Caribbean feel", and is vastly reminiscent of Rihannas early days. You will find it hard to get this track out of your head. 8/10

"Where have you been" is the album club banger. I predict a spring/summer release for this, and boy will it smash. This is the albums "Don't stop the music" and if you only listen to one song from the album make it this one. 10/10

"We found love" was the debut single for the album. It was the obvious choice, and clearly the best one with the worldwide success. 9/10

"Talk that Talk" is the albums only collaboration, which joins rihanna and Jay Z. The song may not be the next "umbrella" but it's a solid track, and I found myself with it on repeat for weeks. 9/10

"cockiness" is an even more sexed up (if that's even possible) version of S&M. It's fairly safe to say this won't be released as a single due to it not being very radio friendly. "Suck my cockiness lick my persuasion" rihanna sings, and the rest of the song have zero subtlety. However, I for one love these tracks, but if you prefer music that is not so sexually explicit, or you have have children listening, maybe best to hit the skip button. 10/10 (because I personally LOVE IT).

An interlude "birthday cake" follows. This song is also very sexual, with innuendo and a catchy beat. If you like this interlude, I recommend you listen to the full remix that rihanna released with chris brown. 6/10

The album needed a slow break, and we were given this with the ballad "We all need love." The song is nothing ground breaking, but by no means a bad track. 7/10

In my opinion it may have been a mistake to have another ballad after the other, especially one that sounds similar. "Drunk on love" is nothing particularly special, but still a solid track. 6/10

After the ballads, "Roc Me Out" certainly wakes you up. One of my favourite tracks on the album. 10/10

"Watch n learn" also brings you back to young rihanna. It's a great summer track and I recommend you give this track a go if you prefer rihannas first 2 albums. 8/10

"Farewell" is the last track on the standard edition. This song is my least favourite on the album, it doesn't have the wow factor for me. I'm glad for the bonus tracks afterwards. 5/10

BONUS TRACKS

"Red Lipstick" is in my opinion an awesome track. There are some fairly explicit lyics at times, but this track is very different from normal rihanna, and I for one like it. 10/10

"Do Ya Thang" is a solid tune. It is not as good as the other bonus tracks i my opinion, but by no means the worst track on the album. 8/10

And lastly "Fool in Love" closes the album. And in this case it is definitely a case of "last but not least". This track is a contender for my favourite rihanna ballad ever, and it certainly shows of her vocals. 10/10

Overall, Talk That Talk is a good album, and although created in a year does not feel rushed in the slightest. Even if you're not a fan of rihanna, I recommend you at least give the album a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant- I Love It, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
Please note there are FOUR versions of this album. Deluxe clean, normal clean, Deluxe explicit and normal explicit. Make sure you purchase the right one because the explicit are very sexually explicit and do not leave much to the imagination. Go on Youtube and listen to the album before you buy it so you won't end up being dissapointed and giving it a one star!

All I can say is that I have been on Youtube all day listening to this album and, I bloomin Love it. It may not be for everyone but I like it alot (jim Carey stylie). I will be buying the Deluxe edition because Do Ya Thing is too good to miss. My Favourite songs are

1.You Da One
2.Where Have You Been
3.Talk That Talk
4.Cockiness
5.Birthday Cake
6.Watch n Learn
7.Red Lipstick
8.Farewell

In fact, I think I just love the whole album. PS I still love Loud and think it is a Brilliant album, Talk That Talk is just different, and brilliant ha ha! Love ya Rihanna Keep Doin Ya Thing Girl, You Da One I Think About All Dayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars ''Talk That Talk'' - Rihanna CD 2011, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)

''You Da One'' - The album kicks off with one of the lesser songs, It's sugary sweet, but not in a good way. It's repetitive and soon gets very dull and boring, something you can't usually say about a Rihanna single. The fact that it's one of her only singles in recent times to not even hit the top 20 says it all.
''Where Have You Been'' - The second track is thankfully much more enjoyable, it has a mash of trance and dance-beats and electronic effects mixed with a strong vocal by Rihanna that make it almost perfect for club-play. Expect this one to be a single at some point in the future.
''We Found Love'' - Third is the album's first smash single, again with Calvin Harris, which is still hovering around the number 01 spot weeks after it's release. One of the best dance songs Rihanna has recorded, it's simple but infectious and the best song on the album by a long shot.
''Talk that Talk'' - The title track comes next, with Jay-Z making a guest appearance. The rap isn't exactly memorable, but it's bad either, and the song moves along nicely, while still not being quite what you'd expect from Rihanna.
''Cockiness (I love it)'' - Mixed feelings about this one. The beat is fantastic, frenetic and quite Beyonce-like, but the lyrics are a let down. They're sexual in an overly explicit way, and come across as just vulgar rather than sexy. I'm no prude, but it just seems like she's trying too hard compared to old songs like 'S&M' and 'Rude Boy'.
''Birthday Cake'' - An interlude rather than a full song, it comes in at just under 2 minutes. The lyrics again are very sexual in meaning, but again the actual beat and melody is quite catchy and it's the one song on the album that I wished had been longer.
''We All Want Love'' - Strangely, this sweet ballad comes right after the full on sexuality of the last few tracks, which is a bit jarring. It reminds me of Rihanna's old style ballads from her first few albums, and it's anthem-like but not the best on the album. Good, but not great.
''Drunk On Love'' - A really good song on the album, Rihanna sounds great on this track which is a slowed down pop/dance ballad. It manages to sound like a 90's trance track while still being really modern and good. Possible another single off the album.
''Roc Me Out'' - Sounding like it could have been took right from Rated R, this song has a heavy back-beat and full synth sound that is catchy. It has a darker feeling than the rest of the album, but works nicely as a little bit of diversity in among all the dance songs.
''Watch 'n' Learn'' - Calypso style fast song with a great hook, kind of like 'What's My Name' from her last album. I really like this one, and the sexy lyrics this time don't distract but work quite well for the song.
''Farewell'' - The closing song is an 'Unfaithful' style ballad, with really good vocals. Not anything special, but a nice closer to the album.

Bonus Tracks (on deluxe album only):
''Red Lipstick'' - Not the best on the album. Rihanna yet again gets the mix of sexy a little bit too over the top, and her vocal sounds like some adult movie soundtrack rather than a stand alone song.
''Do Ya Thing'' - A pure pop song with the same synth sound that runs through the album. Really good chorus with a lot of energy and fun, definatley a stand-out song.
''Fool In Love'' - A very pretty and soulful ballad, Rihanna sings her heart out on it.

The deluxe version comes with a photo-booklet and a fold out 'R' poster.
While 'Talk That Talk' doesn't have as many potential singles as 'Loud' or 'Good Girl...' had, it's not a bad album and is still a good listen overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Great., 24 April 2012
Julia Havard "Heights47" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
But as with Loud not enough time was given to creating it and it ends up feeling rushed halfhearted and lazy. It has it's moments and does shine on songs such as We Found love, Where Have You Been, Drunk On Love, Red Lipstick where she takes risks and creates different sounds but again not enough time was given into making them amazing not just good. Another issue is the constant ramming in your face innuendo, smut, sleaze, and sex sex sex i have no problem with it but whn done in such a way that she might aswell just spit it out and say ti it becomes tedious and pathetic and if she had held back again could have been good not. so all in all an album that could have and should have been a great pop album even genre defining and a classic but alas she rushed it and you definitely get that from Talk That Talk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blah, blah, blah..., 21 Mar 2012
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
The impressive list of song writers for TALK THAT TALK includes Jay-Z, P Diddy, Calvin Harris, Ester Dean, Lukasz Gottwald, John Hill, Baria Qureshi, Romy Croft, Oliver Sim, Jamie Smith, Priscilla Renea and Chauncey Hollis. Rihanna has co-wrote six of the songs on TALK THAT TALK [four regular album tracks and two of the bonus tracks]: You Da One, Cockiness, Birthday Cake, Watch n Learn, Red Lipstick and Do Ya Thing. Sounds good at first glance, doesn't it? The thing is, ALL of those songs are about sex. I find the heavy repetition boring, not shocking, daring or sexy. It's like that work colleague who always drones on about her weekends; I want to tell her to p*ss off or talk about something different, because she's just boring me to tears, not impressing me or leaving me envious.

Actually most of the album as a whole is one declaration about the joy of sex, with a few tracks dedicated to needing a man, because being single is apparently the worst thing ever. During the publicity run for her last album [Loud] Rihanna was telling us about how she had to dye her hair red because her 'team' wouldn't let her dye it pink and how she has only just been allowed to wear red lipstick over the last few years, so is TALK THAT TALK her way of rebelling?

I was going to write a detailed track by track breakdown, about I quickly realised that I was just repeating myself, so lets just get straight to the point;

1) She's found Mr Right (who knows how to love her hard)
2) She's looking for Mr Right (to love her all night long)
3) She's found love with someone, but their personal demons are proving to be too much.
This song is rumoured to be a 'love letter' to Chris Brown, but Rihanna didn't write it, so I don't know why people jumped to that conclusion.
4) Jay Z reminds us that he's loaded, while Rihanna tells us that she loves dirty talk.
5) She loves oral sex.
6) She really loves oral sex [the version on the album is a 80 second snippet]
I was really excited about the full length, download only, version of this song. But as it features Chris Brown, who promises that he's "gonna give to her in the worst way", I find it disturbing and lost all interest in the song.
7) Rihanna needs to find somebody to love.
8) She craves love and is a hopeless romantic.
9) A track about sex, that is thinly disguised as being about dancing.
10) Again it's about sex. On floors, beds and couches, it's all good.
11) Her friend/boyfriend is moving away, so she's saying goodbye and wishing them well.

My main issue it that there's just not a lot of variety in the style of the lyrics shown here - the tone and content of the songs are all one of three themes from beginning to end. The only track that is different from that tired formula is Farewell.

They really needed to mix the lyrical content and style up more since the pace of the music is the more or less the same thoughout the album. meaning that many of the tracks become lost and forgotten in the jumble of loud noise the album becomes.

Rihanna's management say that TALK THAT TALK "combines a variety of musical genres such as hip hop, R&B, Caribbean, trance, electro house, electro, dancehall and dubstep", but in all honesty every sounds like that same old dance/pop that loads of singers do.

The only track which shows any real difference in musical style is [once again] Farewell.

- - - - - - -
Overall
- - - - - - -

The first few times I listened to TALK THAT TALK I really enjoyed it, as I was happy to simply hum along to the lively, retro styled synths, but the disappointment started when I really listened to the lyrics and from that point on I found it good, but not anything amazing. Don't get me wrong; When TALK THAT TALK is at it's best we get what I think is of the strongest material Rihanna's released.

But, despite three strong tracks, TALK THAT TALK is still a huge let-down for me as there is a clear contrast between the quality of the material, that once you've noticed doesn't go away again. I'm not saying that it's a bad album, but it's too samey and, ultimately, forgettable. Three strong tracks [Where Have You Been, We Found Love and Drunk On Love] and two so-so ones [Talk That Talk and Roc Me Out] can't balance out the six 'filler' tracks.

Overall: TALK THAT TALK just sounds as though everyone ran out of time halfway through the making of the album, so just padded it out with any old tracks that were laying around, confident that her fan base will buy it and defend it regardless. I'd give TALK THAT TALK 2.5 stars if I could, but I'll have to round it of to a reluctant three.

The overuse of fillers is, for me, a common theme with all of Rihanna's albums. She is definitely someone who I think of as a singles artist, not an albums artist. I'll buy any Greatest Hits collection that she may release, but I think the quality of her Rated R album was a fluke, so I'm not sure if I'll bother with another studio release from her in future. She needs to stop her 'an album every year' record, slow things down and spend longer working on evening out the quality levels on the songs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Deluxe edition bonus tracks
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12. Red Lipstick
At first I thought Rihanna was having a dig at the rag mags and tabloids, but the opening line is actually "red lipstick all ON the paper" [on a cigarette filter]. And later lines have her grabbing t*ts and d**ks. Another sex song - what a surprise.

13. Do Ya Thang
She loves her friend with benefits is my best guess. Overall this very similar to You Da One, so I guess that's why it's a bonus track.

14. Fool In Love
Rihanna's willing to look stupid by standing by the partner everyone thinks is no good for her. She should have had Chris Brown featuring on this, instead of ruining Birthday Cake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
With the exception of "We found love" which is one of my favourite tracks for 2011, this is not a great album from Rihanna. A lot of the album is just raunchy/dirty for the sake of it, and quite trashy to be honest. I expected more from her!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
David Atkinson (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the CD!!, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
Loce Rihanna love the cd. Came when it was supposed to and well packaged

5.0 out of 5 stars she can sing, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
rihannas songs on this album are very good, I love every song on this album, would defo recommend to buy

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Talk That Talk (Audio CD)
Did not like this cd ..have her other one loud but didnt enjoy this one as much ..only few good songs