Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 8 October 2012
I had no expectations of Hugo and it turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. The 3D effect was excellent and the characters were very well played by all concerned.
on 3 May 2014
I only bought this to try out my new 3D TV and I thought as it was only a fiver I couldn't really go wrong. It wasn't a strong story but it was worth seeing for the crisp definition of blu-ray and the fantastic depth of the 3D. I thought the station inspector was hilarious though and he made me chuckle a few times. My husband didn't rate it much but I think it was mostly because the glasses were making his eyes ache as it was quite a long film.
on 19 February 2014
I had not expected very much of this film, thinking it might be more child's play but was surprised that it mostly concentrated on the early pioneering filmmaker Georges Meleis, and as played by Ben Kingsley, was far the most interesting and well acted part in the film, but then isn't that to be expected from this most versatile and distinguished actor?
Asa Butterfield as young Hugo I thought gave an honest performance, neither under or overplayed and thus was also engaging enough for me to see the film to its conclusion.
However, the most annoying for me was Sacha Baron Cohen as the station master who despite seemingly to imply a humorous part, relied more on an out of place sloppy London accent and one dimensional character for which might have been more bearable had he used a pseudo French speaking voice.
Having said that, the effects, scenic designs and music were perfection, but the pace of many of its scenes {surprisingly for its director Martin Scorsese) sadly slowed any potential of my being taken in more completely, by what seemed a unique way of presenting its subject as well as a tribute to the origins of the filmmakers art.
on 4 September 2014
I hadn't heard of this film before it was shown on television a few months ago. What a fantastic film, as a family we really enjoyed watching it - and purchased the DVD later that week. I won't go on about the plot and characters because other reviewers have done a great job of that already.

It's maybe not for the younger members of the household, but my 8year old loves it - almost as much as I do!
on 31 January 2013
Saw this in the cinema on its release and had to have for my growing blu-ray collection. Big fan of Scorsese films and have others. Both versions are on this blu-ray (3D and 2D) and as I'm not a big fan of 3D (Avatar excepted!), quite happy with this purchase. The extras are worth the money alone e.g. staging the train crash - based on a real accident at Montparnasse Station in the early days of steam.
on 13 January 2012
It's helpful to assess Hugo in terms of what it isn't rather than what it is: it isn't manic or frenetic; it isn't desperate to impress with ironic humour; it isn't patronising to children; it isn't afraid to keep its plot simple and linear; it isn't full of 3D clichés. A charming tale of an orphaned boy who tries to understand the world around him whilst keeping the clocks ticking at a Parisian train station, it features excellent performances, sumptuously realised visuals and - with the inclusion of Georges Melies as a key character - a heart-warming respect for the art of cinema. I found some of its comedic moments less than convincing and I confess I'd hoped for a more complicated story, but these are minor criticisms in the face of the movie's main achievement, which is to present complex themes in an easily-comprehensible, gentle manner to 21st century children and make them enjoy every minute of the experience.
on 9 July 2012
I originally watched this film in 2D and I really enjoyed it. The HD quality is fantastic. But this movie was made to be seen in 3D. I've seen many titles in 3D at home and at the cinema and this ranks up there with the best. The opening shot through the clock, the town and then the train station will take your breath away. The snow flows towards you as the sweeping camera movement takes in the surroundings. The whole film looks magnificent, and the story / acting is (mostly) great. Martin Scorsese has done himself proud. It's a wonderful film for kids and adults. The only thing that let it down (in my opinion) is Sacha Baron Cohen's strange accent. The character needed a French accent!

This one disc release contains both the 2D and 3D versions of the film in HD. People have reported that this title freezes and jumps between scenes. I watched the 2D version on a fairly old Panasonic player (with no recent firmware update) with no problems. New 3D Blu-ray player is LG, once again no problems, so all you can do is order and see if it works.
on 5 May 2012
I'm reviewing the 2D Blu-ray version of this movie - I don't have a 3d tv. The film is an absolute visual feast that Blu-Ray makes the most of. A slow paced quiet film with a relatively simple story. Right from the start, with its stunning tracking shot above 1920's Paris, into the train station, and up to the station clock, I knew I was going to love this film. It's central theme is about a pioneer of movie making, who fell into obscurity after the first world war, a real life character who produced some astonishingly inventive films; when you look at what other film makers were producing at the time this man's films become all the more astonishing. It's full of charming little sub-plots, featuring lots of well known largely British actors. Also included is a short documentary about Georges Melies, which is fascinating. It includes a photograph of the great man in his toy shop in the station, this could be a still from the film, and demonstrates that this film was made with love for the history of film. It's full of charm, an absolute beauty.
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2012
Scorsese's first foray into the world of 3D is an exquisitely crafted moving piece of filmmaking that works both as a surprisingly mature study of loss and as a heartfelt love letter to the wonder of cinema itself. At its core it's a very human piece concerned with how one responds to grief - either through shutting down emotionally and resembling the mere robotic mechanics and functions of the film's abundant clockwork creations, or by finding a source of creative expression that becomes something akin to catharsis.

It's a brilliant shot film filled with Scorsese's usual staple of dizzyingly beautiful cocktails of colour and superbly frenetic energetic camera work that sweep you into the film's wonderfully-realised 1920s setting. Giving it that child-like sense of discovery the 3D working both as a visual trick and thematic concept. It's evidently Scorsese's most personal film for a long time, as he clearly sees something of himself in Melies. The scenes recreating the behind the scenes work of his sets being nothing short of stunning. By also being infused with a perfectly judged elegiac undercurrent that lends it a mournful edge. The film's ending and indeed, eventual message comes to be one bearing a great degree of hope. The performances are nothing short of outstanding, Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz having a real sense of chemistry and connection which forms the story's emotional centre (Moretz is fast becoming one of the best one of the finest child actors around). Perhaps it's greatest achievement however is that it's one of the few films of recent years that's came closest to capturing the the genuinely transformative power of the magic that is film. Definitely one of the best film's of last year.
on 14 April 2013
Without doubt in my opinion a five star rating. Despite other criticisms I, as a septagarian, enjoyed every minute of the 3D version. perhaps the 2D would not be so impressive. There have been some reports of difficulty playing the 3D version. I had difficulty at first with my Panasonic equipment and Tv. I found that I had to set to play NTSC and then after pressing "Play Movie" there was a choice of 2D or 3D. On selecting 3D I found that on pressing "Play Movie" again it immediately reverted to 2D which gave peculiar results when viewing through 3D glasses. The answer was to leave the selection at 2D after pressing "Play Movie" the first time so thate when "Play Movie" was pressed the second time the 2D immediately reverted to 3D and one could then view the film in excellent definition 3D. This could be a software quirk on the disc. The dreamlike gentle nature of the film would appeal to more imaginative minds, rather than those who like violent crash bang movies. No wonder it gained all the accolades amongst the movie cogniscenti.