Heavily enhanced with such magnificent CGI that you could initially mistake it for a gorgeous animated feature, Hugo introduces us to a typical children's tale (child has idyllic relationship, tragedy happens, everybody gives him an unfair deal, he eventually redeems himself) but told with the panache and confidence of a master.
Martin Scorsese sets the majority of...
Published on 31 May 2012 by Benminx

3.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on the fence.
Published on 30 April 2012 by Mr. D. Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars A visually sumptuous and fascinating tale for kids and adults, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Martin Scorsese sets the majority of the tale in a magically intricate and gorgeous looking train station people with interesting characters as orphan Hugo secretly keeps the clocks working and tries to fix a mysterious automaton. During his adventures he befriends a young girl (the ubiquitous Chloe Grace Moretz) and her crotchety Uncle (Ben Kingsley) while trying to avoid being caught and sent to an orphanage by the the station-master, played with humour (and a surprisingly delicate degree of pathos) by Sacha Baron Cohen.
The visuals are a treat, and much of the film is dedicated to a discovery of the origins of cinema. In framing a history lesson within a magical children's tale, the film really helps you to feel the nostalgia and wonder that Scorsese is hoping to evoke. The film's tale about Hugo himself also has adventures, chases, and an emotionally satisfying finale that make it well worth seeing in its own right. Maybe a little too cerebral and interested in the past for younger viewers (anyone under 8 might get bored) but a gorgeous and interesting tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising gem, 11 May 2012
S. Capes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
I had never heard of this film as we rarely go to the cinema but we'd just bought a 3D TV and Blu-ray player and wanted something to try. I was swayed by the awards the film had won and bought it in faith. What a surprise! The 3D was superb (we had seen Avatar and Harry Potter at the cinema in 3D and didn't think the TV 3D would be as good but it was. The story was the surprise as we didn't realise it was woven around a real person, Georges Melies, the early film-maker. Excellent, star-studded casting and an engrossing movie. My husband isn't normally much a film watcher but he was praising it for days afterwards. The bonus features are very good too, especially the background of Melies himself. We loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugo, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
A brilliant film loved every minute of it , charming the sets are brilliant , cannot praise it enough , different out of the ordinary .
A young boy's parents are dead he lives in a clock tower in a railway station with his uncle who also dies leaving the boy to tend to the station Clock he has a fasination with clocks his father played by Jude Law leaves a mystery Mechanical man . fantastic parts played by Christopher lee ( the librarian ) and sacha Baron Cohen ( the station master ) who try's to clear the station of orphans regularly , This was winner of 2 baftas & 5 oscars We found it magical unexpected twists & turns and Ben Kingsley was amazing , don't hesitate just buy this you'll love it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Extras, 31 Jan 2013
J. Murray "JimiBob" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Saw this in the cinema on its release and had to have for my growing blu-ray collection. Big fan of Scorsese films and have others. Both versions are on this blu-ray (3D and 2D) and as I'm not a big fan of 3D (Avatar excepted!), quite happy with this purchase. The extras are worth the money alone e.g. staging the train crash - based on a real accident at Montparnasse Station in the early days of steam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, 23 July 2014
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
HUGO is based on the beautiful book, THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET. I eager to see HUGO but didn't get around to seeing it at the cinema - this is such a shame, as I am sure that it would have been fantastic in 3D.

The story follows Hugo, an orphan who lives within a railway station in Paris. Having been taught how to fix clocks by his late father, Hugo is sure that if he is able to mend an automaton which was being lovingly restored by his father, that he will discover a message from him. But he also has to make sure that he is not discovered living within the station - if he is, he would be sent off to the orphanage.

That is a very basic synopsis. The film is about so much more than just a young boy trying to find a message from his deceased dad. It is also a homage to silent films, whilst also being a very clever examination of grief, loneliness, love and the power that the past has for us. There is also the exploration of finding your place in the world. There is a beautiful section in the film in which Hugo takes his new-found friend up to the top of the clock tower, to look out over Paris. He describes how every instrument comes with just the right amount of parts for it to make it work; he then compares the world to a mechanical instrument, with every person in it having their own part to play.

Viewers of all ages should enjoy this film. It is incredibly stunning visually. The message at its heart is also very poignant. The characters and the acting is top-notch; I was truly sucked into the world of Hugo. If you have read the book, I am almost certain that you would enjoy this film. Likewise, if you see this film and enjoy it, I would urge you to seek out the book - it is heavily illustrated throughout and in its own right is a very beautiful thing.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
I had no expectations of Hugo and it turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. The 3D effect was excellent and the characters were very well played by all concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 29 Jan 2013
Robert Kinnison (glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Seen the film on DVD ,loved it and wanted to own on Bluray.
bought this one which can be played in a Bluray player on either 2D or 3D
EXCELLENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Hugo, 3 Oct 2012
J. Bell (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to see behind the scenes at the making of this film and was completely blown away. At the cinema the film didnt disappoint but I needed to sit and study it again in peace away from the chomping of food and slurping of drinks, and once again it was magical and something I will watch over and over again, everytime I see it I discover something new. Please watch it and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on the fence., 30 April 2012
Mr. D. Williams (Beverley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
This film is a difficult one for me to rate. I thought it was undoubtedly beautiful but.....something just wasn't right. It seemed to drag somewhat at times and I honestly thought that the child actors were amateurish in the early parts of the film. (I don't know if this was just me and I hate to sound negative as I do believe as the film got going they improved massively). My main concern is that as this film is for the younger generation, they will find it difficult to watch, it isn't like your typical 'disney' story which I felt the trailer made out it would be. However, as I said, there were some big positives. The scenery was quite beautiful, the 3D (the girlfriend and I's first 3D movie on the new TV) was an amazing experience - the start just blows you away! Typically strong performance from Ben Kingsley who is just an awesome actor. So pros and cons hence why I give it a middle rating. Some will love, others not so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugo; an absolute gem of a film., 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
I bought this film for a few reasons. I have enjoyed any film which featured Asa Butterfield; an absolute charmer in any role I have seen him play in. Also Chloe Moretz. I thought that both young stars were great together. And of course there were many other fine performances from some very well known British stars of film and TV. This film I bought through Amazon from from a company named Zoverstocks which has supplied me many times with previously owned discs, all in super condition, and delivered promptly. I do not have 3d facility at home, but I do have a blue ray player which could play the 3d film, but not the television as yet, for viewing the films in this format. The film itself was magic, as they say; a joy from its spellbinding start to its tear jerking end: tears of joy in this case. An uplifting and truly "feelgood" film throughout.

Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) by Martin Scorsese (Blu-ray - 2012)
5.00