5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising gem
Published on 11 May 2012 by S. Capes

I watched 'Hugo' presented on this single-disc 2D/3D Blu-ray (Amazon state 'Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray' in their title, which is incorrect) with very little knowledge about the plot etc although I obviously did know that it was essentially a children's story/film (it has a 'U' viewing certificate).

I also knew that it was produced/directed by the great Martin...
Published on 5 Jan. 2013 by Mr. Laurence Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising gem, 11 May 2012
S. Capes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
I had never heard of this film as we rarely go to the cinema but we'd just bought a 3D TV and Blu-ray player and wanted something to try. I was swayed by the awards the film had won and bought it in faith. What a surprise! The 3D was superb (we had seen Avatar and Harry Potter at the cinema in 3D and didn't think the TV 3D would be as good but it was. The story was the surprise as we didn't realise it was woven around a real person, Georges Melies, the early film-maker. Excellent, star-studded casting and an engrossing movie. My husband isn't normally much a film watcher but he was praising it for days afterwards. The bonus features are very good too, especially the background of Melies himself. We loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A visually sumptuous and fascinating tale for kids and adults, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Heavily enhanced with such magnificent CGI that you could initially mistake it for a gorgeous animated feature, Hugo introduces us to a typical children's tale (child has idyllic relationship, tragedy happens, everybody gives him an unfair deal, he eventually redeems himself) but told with the panache and confidence of a master.
Martin Scorsese sets the majority of the tale in a magically intricate and gorgeous looking train station people with interesting characters as orphan Hugo secretly keeps the clocks working and tries to fix a mysterious automaton. During his adventures he befriends a young girl (the ubiquitous Chloe Grace Moretz) and her crotchety Uncle (Ben Kingsley) while trying to avoid being caught and sent to an orphanage by the the station-master, played with humour (and a surprisingly delicate degree of pathos) by Sacha Baron Cohen.
The visuals are a treat, and much of the film is dedicated to a discovery of the origins of cinema. In framing a history lesson within a magical children's tale, the film really helps you to feel the nostalgia and wonder that Scorsese is hoping to evoke. The film's tale about Hugo himself also has adventures, chases, and an emotionally satisfying finale that make it well worth seeing in its own right. Maybe a little too cerebral and interested in the past for younger viewers (anyone under 8 might get bored) but a gorgeous and interesting tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, 23 July 2014
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
HUGO is based on the beautiful book, THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET. I eager to see HUGO but didn't get around to seeing it at the cinema - this is such a shame, as I am sure that it would have been fantastic in 3D.

The story follows Hugo, an orphan who lives within a railway station in Paris. Having been taught how to fix clocks by his late father, Hugo is sure that if he is able to mend an automaton which was being lovingly restored by his father, that he will discover a message from him. But he also has to make sure that he is not discovered living within the station - if he is, he would be sent off to the orphanage.

That is a very basic synopsis. The film is about so much more than just a young boy trying to find a message from his deceased dad. It is also a homage to silent films, whilst also being a very clever examination of grief, loneliness, love and the power that the past has for us. There is also the exploration of finding your place in the world. There is a beautiful section in the film in which Hugo takes his new-found friend up to the top of the clock tower, to look out over Paris. He describes how every instrument comes with just the right amount of parts for it to make it work; he then compares the world to a mechanical instrument, with every person in it having their own part to play.

Viewers of all ages should enjoy this film. It is incredibly stunning visually. The message at its heart is also very poignant. The characters and the acting is top-notch; I was truly sucked into the world of Hugo. If you have read the book, I am almost certain that you would enjoy this film. Likewise, if you see this film and enjoy it, I would urge you to seek out the book - it is heavily illustrated throughout and in its own right is a very beautiful thing.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Superbly Produced, Simple and Charming Story, Presented Beautifully on 2D Blu-ray - BUT it's WAY Too Long AND Flawed, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)

I also knew that it was produced/directed by the great Martin Scorsese (has anyone else noticed that Johnny Depp is also on the production credits ?), someone who has directed many more 'adult' films I like very much.

Having said that, whilst this movie is unarguably beautifully produced and presents the relatively simple, charming, story superbly on 2D Blu-ray I'm sorry to say that it really didn't 'grab' me in any way - in fact I found it occasionally rather tedious. It's worth observing that I'm not averse to enjoying films orientated towards a younger audience (but admittedly they are usually of the animated variety), however I found this movie to be WAY too long (2hrs 6mins) for what it essentially is - something which I think is a bit of a contradiction, considering the main target audience who I would imagine could be fidgeting in their seat after the 'traditional' running time of about 90mins has been reached and there clearly still being some way to go with this film !

Another contradiction is that the story is so simple, with few complicated concurrently-running plot 'strands', that I feel it really could be some 30mins less and still achieve it's aims of telling the story AND covering those strands which form the core of the overall theme.

Regarding the plot, as hinted at earlier I try to avoid knowing too much beforehand about any film as it usually spoils the potential enjoyment. To that end, I shan't direct you to the Amazon synopsis, as it reveals too much, but instead describe it by way of a edited version of the description from the disc box (which still reveals too much !) :

'Set in 1930s Paris, when a wily and resourceful young boy called Hugo discovers a well-hidden secret created by his father, he unlocks a mystery which prompts him to embark on a quest that will transform him and those around him.'

As I broadly mentioned earlier, that overall story is quite straightforward but it is those concurrently-running plot 'strands' that allow Scorsese to spend even more time covering things and, in my opinion, overindulge himself on the associated movie-history aspects of the plot which I know he cherishes so much. Scorsese also allows certain ancillary characters to feature more prominently than they would necessarily need to, in the interests of emphasising the 'evolution' of the Hugo character which sits firmly at the foundation of the story although, significantly, another character does slowly come to the fore in featuring in the same way....

There is little more to say about the quality of the presentation on Blu-ray; it looks and sounds as good as one could wish in 2D HD to reflect the superb production-values, sumptuous sets and musical soundtrack.

Contrary to many, I had no issues loading or playing the disc despite owning a relatively old Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray player - my player firmware is the latest available (V2.64) and, from past experience -crucially perhaps, I always have an 8Gb SDHC card installed in the SD card slot of the player....

So, yes, the film looks/sounds superb but I had issues with the running time due to the overlong coverage of various character 'developments' and, for example, many/frequent 'pauses' where characters gaze into the mid-distance/towards someone else without actually saying anything (each one may be quite short, but they all add up !). Supplement that with a criminally underused 'presence' of Christopher Lee and many, for me, unsuccessful attempts at slapstick/humour and I hope that (whilst you might disagree !) you can see why I formed such a predominantly unfavourable impression of 'Hugo'.

I got the impression from the film that it was trying to celebrate the silent-movie era, so some of those criticisms might be due to those efforts, but as the film is neither silent nor fully dialogue driven I think it sits uncomfortably, and unsuccessfully, between those two cinematic 'stools'....

I should also mention that whilst Asa Butterfield, the actor playing Hugo, does a perfectly satisfactory job I felt that the performance of the other child actor, ChloŽ Moretz, did not impress me - unlike her superb, film-stealing, part in the marvellous 'film 'Kick-Ass'; here she simply stood and smiled far too much and failed to 'hide' her American accent enough, with her voice sometimes sounding quite odd.

The film is undoubtedly worth seeing and experiencing in HD, but I feel it could have been so much more entertaining and actually achieve the attributes of 'a magical worlds of spectacular adventure' and 'a thrilling journey' as claimed on the Blu-ray box had it been edited more 'efficiently' and not over-elaborated what I feel were some unnecessary (in the interests of time-keeping) plot-strands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Extras, 31 Jan. 2013
J. Murray "JimiBob" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Saw this in the cinema on its release and had to have for my growing blu-ray collection. Big fan of Scorsese films and have others. Both versions are on this blu-ray (3D and 2D) and as I'm not a big fan of 3D (Avatar excepted!), quite happy with this purchase. The extras are worth the money alone e.g. staging the train crash - based on a real accident at Montparnasse Station in the early days of steam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugo, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
A brilliant film loved every minute of it , charming the sets are brilliant , cannot praise it enough , different out of the ordinary .
A young boy's parents are dead he lives in a clock tower in a railway station with his uncle who also dies leaving the boy to tend to the station Clock he has a fasination with clocks his father played by Jude Law leaves a mystery Mechanical man . fantastic parts played by Christopher lee ( the librarian ) and sacha Baron Cohen ( the station master ) who try's to clear the station of orphans regularly , This was winner of 2 baftas & 5 oscars We found it magical unexpected twists & turns and Ben Kingsley was amazing , don't hesitate just buy this you'll love it .

4.0 out of 5 stars hugo (3d), 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
Lovely movie, not at all what I expected, nice safe and friendly film with a story. Effects are good, 3D is ok but a bit ghosty on my TV, stunning colour and clarity though. 3D didn't work with my Optoma projector but worked fine on my Philips TV (both via Samsung player), software problem I guess.

Nice family move and now reduced in price, enjoyed it a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and lovely, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
Great film. Watched with my Lord of the Rings loving 10 yr old son, who really enjoyed it. Found the clockwork model and 'tense' scenes just sad and scary enough, and got very involved in the boy's story. The links to the 'real world' were interesting and we thought all the characters were well played - some stereotypical but well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on the fence., 30 April 2012
Mr. D. Williams (Beverley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) (Blu-ray)
This film is a difficult one for me to rate. I thought it was undoubtedly beautiful but.....something just wasn't right. It seemed to drag somewhat at times and I honestly thought that the child actors were amateurish in the early parts of the film. (I don't know if this was just me and I hate to sound negative as I do believe as the film got going they improved massively). My main concern is that as this film is for the younger generation, they will find it difficult to watch, it isn't like your typical 'disney' story which I felt the trailer made out it would be. However, as I said, there were some big positives. The scenery was quite beautiful, the 3D (the girlfriend and I's first 3D movie on the new TV) was an amazing experience - the start just blows you away! Typically strong performance from Ben Kingsley who is just an awesome actor. So pros and cons hence why I give it a middle rating. Some will love, others not so.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INSTANT CLASSIC!, 18 Dec. 2011
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo [2011] [DVD] (DVD)
I read THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET before I saw this film. I absolutely loved the book (written by Brian Selznick) and I immediately wanted to see this film, directed by Martin Scorsese. So I went to see HUGO starring Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen. The critics loved it, so I had high hopes.

It was perhaps the best 3D I have ever seen! It wasn't just chucking stuff out of the screen, it was really useful to the film. It enhanced the setting (paris) brilliantly. It was even used in the end credits sequence.

The acting was amazing. Asa Butterfield (MERLIN, THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS) and Chloe Grace Moretz (KICK-ASS) were fantastic, and the rest of the cast were great too. They were seriously convincing.

The storyline was spectacular. It was very true to the book but it also made up some stuff of its own. These parts really added some comic relief to the film. It was also quite sad and it was very, very, very deep. There were some very intense, breathtaking scenes as well.

Overall, the critics were right! HUGO is an instant classic with an amazing storyline, some absolutely brilliant acting and lots of great 3D effects. I desperately didn't want it to end. This film is excellent for the whole family. It might be a bit too long (126 minutes) for some people, but if you truly like the film, you wont mind at all. In fact, you'll be thankful for it. I highly recommend HUGO to everyone. AN INSTANT CLASSIC! 10/10!

Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) by Martin Scorsese (Blu-ray - 2012)