on 17 March 2013
When I revived this item it came in that paper bubble-rap sort of packaging, which I thought was a bit stupid. It was too. I opened it to find the kettle plug have the N pin snapped off. Luck for me though it was an easy replace. After that I put in my hard drive, quite easy. But then the power supply what connected to the case seemed very sensitive, I bugged it just a little and the whole thing cut out for a second, worked fine after that. If the packaging was better and and it didn't have a sensitive power supply I would of given it 4 stars.
on 23 April 2013
Purchased for my brother who is not backward in complaining. Unusually, I did not hear any complaints so it must do what it says on the pack (and more). As my fussy brother did not complain, this can only be highly recommended.
on 10 February 2013
I pulled off the front attached the guides for supporting my hard drive, slid it in, plugged in the connectors, put the front back on, plugged it in, turned it on and away I went. It's a box, it has your hard drive in it, and it works. Who cares what it looks like?
on 13 July 2011
Ordered this on a Saturday and it turned up the following Wednesday - free delivery, so happy with that.

As for the item itself, the extruded Aluminium case is smart and solid, the plastic end pieces do cheapen the look a wee bit but not that much.

The packaging opens to reveal the unit itself, the power cable and adaptor. Two plastic runners and the USB cable are loose inside the Aluminium case. Others have suggested problems with the end pieces but I was all sorted in less that 10 minutes.

The plastic 'runners' fit in the holes of your HDD and slide down tracks on the inside of the case, one side was very tight and I had to sand a little off one of the runners to get it to slide freely. The HDD fits in well but I felt that the connecting wires had to be squashed up quite a bit. I've popped in an old IBM deskstar 30GB drive and it is a good fit not rattling or anything.

I have tried it successfully on a Win7 Laptop, a WinXP desktop and a Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) desktop. I cannot however make it run on my dusty old Win98SE desktop.
on 30 June 2012
I bought this for an old 80GB disk I have from a dismantled computer from a few years back. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the performance of the enclosure because this particular one appears to be faulty. I have purchased another enclosure since which works very well and was only a few pounds more expensive. I will just cover the appearance and quality in this review.

The enclosure is not quite the one that is depicted on Amazon. It's not vastly different, but if you have a keen eye you will notice. The built quality is on the cheap-side. The box is aluminium which is strong enough and the port housing is plain plastic. You kind of get what you pay for here. It's all I wanted as I didn't have an expensive disk to put inside it.

The disk is designed to be held in place by small holes on the side of the unit. These are revealed by removing two grey plastic runners on the side (once the end is open). The supplied screws did not fit the drive because they were slightly too small. They just turned round and round; I needed to use another screw driver wedged under the screw head while I unscrewed the screws to get them out again.

The end panel is held on by two small screws which bore themselves into part of the cover in the inside. It's hard to explain but I did need to apply considerable force to get the screws in.

After connecting the drive it powered up ok, but there was no data connection using the USB cable. I tried another cable without luck. I conceded after half hour that it didn't work properly. On closer inspection of the components I could see parts of rusty metal, and one pin on the power port wasn't soldered in. I don't think this explained the absent data connection, but it was evidently not finished properly.

The finish of this enclosure leaves much to be desired, but had it worked the drive would have been fit for what I wanted it for. Maybe I had bad luck on this occasion.
on 3 September 2010
Needed an IDE type hard drive enclosure to retrieve information off an old disk for a relative - 5 minutes after the postie delivered it and I was doing just that.

In the box:
-The enclosure itself
-A USB cable to connect it to the computer
-Installation disk (not needed on my copy of Vista)
-Power transformer and UK plug cord
-Weirdly, a European travel adaptor plug (of no use to me with this device, but will be handy for other things, I guess).

Disconcerted by the lack of instructions, but I figured I knew what I was doing; popped the end off the case (no tools required - apart from an old biro); I had wondered whether it would ome with the appropriate internal ribon cables, but needn't have feared. plugged the hard disk in, slid the disk into the enclosure (taking care not to trap cables). Plugged in the power cable, powered it up, attached USB cable and seconds later had a USB drive that I was happily transferring from.

Tried it with a Seagate drive (which fitted quite snuggly - possibly thanks to their rubber 'sea shield' case). Also tried with a Maxtor drive which seems to be considerably slimmer and does rattle a bit.

Not quite as ugly as I was expecting from other reviews and for it's price this is an excellent buy - and is better than a considerably more expensive Akasa Enclosure I bought some time ago for a SATA drive
on 16 March 2015
The build quality is poor and the usb cable is quite short. However, it does what it's supposed to and it was cheap. If you just want to take some files of an old drive then put it away again, I would recommend this item. If you want to use it as external drive frequently then get something better.
on 20 January 2012
Good quality case. Easy to set up a d comes with all the right leads. Power supply is not CE marked. Interference caused via mains loop. Doubt if this should actually be on sale in the EU. Shame really.
on 9 September 2012
A few weeks back I disasembled an older computer that we don't use anymore. Noticed that one of the hard drives was quite new and quite large, so I figured I may use it as a backup drive. Ordered something else here at Amazon and start looking around for a case and came across this one and ordered it.

The hard drive fitted without a problem, assembly was very easy, just slide it in and connect the wires. Connected the power supply and the usb cable and hooked it up to a Windows 7 laptop and later on a Windows XP laptop, both without a problem. Both did recognise the hard drive right away and work fine with it.

The case is build well, all cables needed are included. It has a one/off switch, which is excellent, my expensive Western Digital backup unit is lacking that. There's also a green led light showing when the unit is on and it's turning red when it's in use. When used much, it doesn't seem to get hot at all.

For the price this case is complete, sturdy and working great and it was shipped very quickly.
on 7 January 2011
I bought this to house the IDE disk drive that I took out of an old PC when it died.

It comes with power adaptor and USB cable.

Assembly details: Pop the connector end off. Plug the molex and IDE connector into your hard disk. Attach the 2 plastic mounts - the lugs fit into the hard disk mounting screw holes, and slide into the case. It is a tight fit but this means it won't rattle about afterwards. Plug in the power, and attach it to your PC / media player with the USB cable. Total time taken <5 minutes.

PC (windows 7, 64 bit) found the drive immediately. It works. Power LED changes colour when disk is accessed.

Only 4 stars because power cable for adaptor and supplied USB cable are both very short. Otherwise a perfect, low cost means of transforming an internal IDE disk to an external USB drive.

Update ....
Updated to 5 stars - Power supply failed - I emailed the supplier who replied immediately to say that not only were they replacing it, but that they would supply an upgraded (longer) power cable - I had not mentioned it to them, I can only suppose they read my review.