4.0 out of 5 stars will definitely leave you wanting more!
This is the first book in the madly series, and introduces us to Madly and her friends.
Published 23 months ago by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for the series
This is the first book in the series
and is setting the scene for the rest.
It is only short to give you a taster of what is to come.
Madly seems a normal girl to her fellow students on land
but she is really a Mer princess.
Her world is turned upside down
when there is a prison escape from Atlas.
This book is a good set-up for the...
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by S. Dougill

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for the series, 20 Jun 2012
S. Dougill "susand1408" (NorthWest UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first book in the series
and is setting the scene for the rest.
It is only short to give you a taster of what is to come.
Madly seems a normal girl to her fellow students on land
but she is really a Mer princess.
Her world is turned upside down
when there is a prison escape from Atlas.
This book is a good set-up for the series
and keeps you wanting to read more.
It's gives you an opportunity to meet the characters
and learn how the story is unfolding.
I enjoyed this book and am looking forward
to reading the 2nd in the series.
I give this book 3 out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars will definitely leave you wanting more!, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
17-year-old Madly is a mermaid princess. She's going to school in a place called Slumber with her friends Aidan and Jersey, and everything is fine until one day she gets a shooting pain in her arm and head, and the pearl on her wrist turns black. Investigating, Madly finds out that the reason for this is that several `fairytale' character prisoners have escaped from the jail in her home town of Atlas, and are holding her family hostage. Now it's up to Madly to find a way to recapture the prisoners and save her family.

I enjoyed this book, although it's really more like the opening few chapters of a book rather than a story in its own right (there's no end as such), it's more a bit of a teaser for Madly and Wolfhardt.
I liked Madly and how headstrong she is, and the introduction of the very lovely Jackson seems set to become a fiery romance! Can't wait to find out more about Atlas, the prisoners, and of course, Jackson!
This book will definitely leave you wanting more!
8 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mermaids + Werewolves = AWESOME!, 1 Jan 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A joint review for book one and two together. May contain spoilers.

I was looking for a short read and can across Madly on Amazon. I first noticed the amazing book cover and then I read the blurb and I instantly sold. Now let me just say Madly completely surprised me and had me captivated from start to finish. I loved it! And of course, I went straight on to read book two, Wolfhardt and loved it even more.

Who would have thought mermaids and werewolves could work? Well it did and I fell in love with M Leighton's work from page one. I instantly liked Madly and connected with her as a character quite easily. I found her fun, strong and just an all-round awesome character to read about. It was very easy to slip into her head and go through her motions and understand why she loved the people she did in her life. Everyone around her is supportive and trust worthy, but not just because she is a princess but because she has genuine friends that love and care her so it was nice to see she had that support system even when her parents are held captivate.

The story itself was intense, action packed and dangerous. I loved finding out about Madly's world under the sea and what her life is like above ground but most of all, I loved finding out about Jackson. *Sigh* Jackson! He literally took my breath away, but of course with Madly being a Princess and Jackson being of a lower status; a sentinel who trains and protects Atlas, it's forbidden for them to ever be together. There love however does shine through and they have several heart-warming moment together and boy I WANT MORE!! I love Jackson and I think any fans of Jennifer L.Armentrout's Covenant series will love Madly's world just as much as me.

Overall, I'm extremely glad I picked up this series and I cannot wait to continue with book three once it's been released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Free and whets the appetite...for more, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Madly (creatively named, her sister who we don't meet is called Truly, yes really) is a princess and a mermaid. Her friends Jersey and her thought -to -be intended Aiden, are shocked by the death of Lady Sheelah, their handler at their school. This brings the handsome, alpha male Sentinel, Jackson, back into her life. Now she has to face adversity and save her way of life.
Good fun and so pleased it was free. Now I'll pay for the next to see what happens.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, light novella!, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a fun, light novella just right to quench your appetite for the Mer species. I personally have not read many books featuring Mermaids, however I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I really like the cover, it gives off a hand drawn effect making areas really stand out. Additionally I like the way they incorporated her screaming as I felt this played a really important and key aspect in the story.

Madly James is a Princess with unimaginable powers. However, only when she is married to her betrothed, Aidan, can she learn the laws and the true power of her powers. But what happens when she must learn and use them too early, when her family is in grave danger? We call in Jackson!

Madly is a character of which you will either love or hate. She has qualities of which I disliked, such as her rudeness and expectation that everyone does as she says just because she is the Princess. I also didn't like her threats, especially to Commander Jessup about losing his job if he didn't answer her... but then she didn't even give him a chance to answer! However, I did admire her strength and you could easily see she is strong enough to lead a kingdom. Additionally, I loved the way she cared strongly for her friends and the surrounding population.

I was very intrigued by the idea of why an author would have a short story for the first instalment, then the second instalment to be a long story. However, I felt it really worked. The first instalment gives you a real taster of the plot without giving too much away, but at the same time pulls you in and makes you want to read the next book. I was a little confused about some areas in the book at times, however, I feel that I can pass this by due to the shortness. Furthermore, I felt M. Leighton included a lot in this instalment, with it being so short, but it really makes you conjure up questions of which will hopefully be answered soon.

I really enjoyed this novella as I felt it was fast paced but not too much to confuse you. The next book in the series: Madly & Wolfhardt.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Madly is a Mermaid, but not just any mermaid, she's a princess. Living and going to school on the mainland with her best friends Aidan and Jersey, everything is normal until their carer is found dead, and its no mean feat to kill a Mer. Suddenly fearing for her parents lives, Madly tries to swim back to Atlas, but the paralyzing alarm sounds and she's stopped in her tracks, only to be saved by Jersey's distant and aloof brother, Jackson. Madly feels an undeniable connection to Jackson, but she is to be betrothed to Aidan, and she can only have one mating bond...On top of that the only hope that the Mer people have of surviving is Madly's powers, and she has to try and save her people and her family with just the help of her friends.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I will admit to doing something with Madly that I very very rarely do; I judged a book by its cover. In my defense though, just look at it, it is absolutely stunning! When I saw the cover I decided that that was what I was going to read next, and I tell you what, I am glad that I did, I really enjoyed Madly, though it certainly leaves you wanting more! It is an introductory novella which stops on a major cliff hanger!

There is the potential for a love triangle in Madly, though I hope that it doesn't go the way most do and be all teen anguish, personally I hope that it'll just kind of disappear! Plus it is so much easier to see Madly with Jackson than with Aidan, probably because, as it is a first person narrative, it is impossible to see Aidan in a way other than brotherly.

For such a short novella there was a decent amount of characterisation, though I think that this may be down to the fact that the author has viewed this as part of a whole rather than as an individual novella. Though it only concentrates on a couple of characters, I thought that this was preferable to a large cast with not a lot of development.

With the book containing mermaids, there is the obvious addition of magic. I liked the way that Madly and her fellow Mer had to have magical support to live on dry land, also Madly was unable to perform magic without water to power it, which of course makes sense if you are a water creature. On top of that, Madly hadn't had a lot of experience with magic, so she is on a learning curve, meaning that we, as the readers, learn at the same time.

There is a lot of foreshadowing about the parts that other fairy tale characters are going to play in the further adventures of Madly, and I am looking forward to reading of them. For a book that I read purely based on the cover, I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did (though if I'd read the blurb I don't think that I would have been surprised!

For more reviews visit [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Quite enjoyed reading this book, captivating and has an interesting concept, made me want to read the sequel so good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the Madly series however I feel it's more suited to younger readers.
I like the character depth and the story rate, it wasn't too long or short. I'd like to of heard about the meeting prior to them going to school and becoming a royal guard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very short, 27 May 2013
Book Worm (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is too short but hey at least its free. I didn't think it was worth paying for the second one so evidently the storyline and characters didn't get my attention. Character development is poor and it's pretty obvious which way the story was heading. Its worth a download if it's free but I wouldn't pay for the sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different world different power, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Madly (Madly Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book a lot. Makes me think I would like to be a princess of. A different world. Just not my mum and dad get taken away

Madly (Madly Series Book 1)
0.00