5.0 out of 5 stars Click and connect!
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Paul Madge

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what was described!
Published 6 months ago by Mr David A Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Click and connect!, 30 Jun 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 Mobile E586 3GB USB MIFI Mobile BroadBand Modem - Black (Electronics)
I bought this device to allow my partner and I to use our WiFi only iPads when we are out and about. We were both reluctant to sign up to yet another monthly payment as our usage is uncertain, and, so adopted the PAYG route. You can get 3GB SIMs for this MiFi unit on Amazon at prices which make buying a new SIM each time far better value for money than topping up the supplied SIM.

I am highly satisfied with this device. This MiFi unit is made for 3 by Huawei and comes complete with a USB lead to charge it from your PC together with a mains adapter and dock which is well weighted and provides an ideal stand for the device at home. I have found the performance to be good in most places I have used it (mostly in Sussex and Herts) and we have both managed to connect our iPads whilst parked up in the car and surf without difficulty (you can connect up to 5 devices). One thing you should be conscious of is that the closer the device is to your PC/iPad the better it works - you cannot compare the range with a mains powered router. Also, I have found that a good signal does not always mean the speed of the connection will be higher - there appear to be other factors which influence speed.

Turning to the device itself - it is small, slim, well made and a bit smaller than a mobile phone so it easily fits in your pocket. It has a display which gives you signal strength, battery level and the amount of data you have used etc. The display is helpful, and, in particular, the "data used" information is very useful this being a feature omitted from a more basic version of this device being sold by 3. Not having a "data used" display to me is a bit like driving a car without a fuel gauge. The display could be bigger, but, no doubt that would exert more strain on the battery. The battery is similar to that in a mobile phone and lasts around 5 hours after which you can charge it either from a USB port (slower) or from the mains adapter provided (faster) - you do not have to carry the dock around as you can simply plug the mains charger directly into the device. It would have been nice if a small case had been included but I have used an old memory card case which does the job perfectly.

There are only two controls on the device itself - an on/off switch and a key switch which, when pressed displays the security code needed to connect to the device. Whilst helpful, this facility means if you lost the device it could be subject to unauthorised use as the finder would have ready access to the security code. However, with PAYG at least the exposure is limited to the balance remaining on the SIM card. The connection process is a breeze, you only have to enter the security code once on most devices and thereafter it is memorised.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this Huawei device and the 3 network performance - this MiFi product delivers exactly what I wanted, and, with the availability of 3rd party supplied (but legitimate) SIM cards available on Amazon at very low prices it is economic to run. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 6 Aug 2012
Great piece of kit and very fast internet speeds, I get 3G every where with 3 network, I think 3 network are the best for 3G speed and coverage. The only downside to my purchase was the seller sent me a used one and there was no sim card with it so I did not get 3gb as promised and I got in contact with the seller and they were not at all helpful and they never replaced it, I would be in two minds about buying from MIXmedia in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but impressive, 26 April 2012
Grev (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to say I'm surprised that the other reviewer had so many problems, as I've had no issues with this device whatsoever. It worked straight out of the box and is much better than my previous dongle.

The fastest download speed I've clocked it as is 10.1mb/s, although in the evenings it's usually somewhere between the 2 to 4.5 mark depending on your location, and time of day (just like the rest of the internet). I don't check the speed that often so whether it can go faster than 10.1 in my area I've no idea. Put it this way, at peak times you can still watch youtube without any lag, and day times it zings along without any issues.

I'm using Pay As You Go, so I just inserted my old sim card and away I went. I've since inserted the new one, but either way have experienced no problems accessing my account.

Battery life - I can't comment on that as I usually hook the E586 to my pc via the USB cable. Not something you'll want to do if you don't want to drain your laptop's battery, but if your laptop is near a power socket then the USB actually provides a faster connection than in mi-fi mode.

Plus it's future proof, being 4g compatible (when 4g is eventually rolled out). Unless I drop it down the toilet or lose it in a taxi, obviously!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast and good battery life, 14 Mar 2014
Have been using this model for a few years now, always found it to be very fast, maintains its signal, battery life is pretty good, and looks nice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what was described!, 9 Mar 2014
Having used MiFis in the passed I knew roughly what I wanted and the E586 met my basic requirements, but I wanted one that had a docking device so it could be left on charge in one central place. The item was dispatched promptly, and well packaged, but it had no dock included! On re review I found the similar device sold by others with the same description so it was obvious it had just been cut and pasted and was not specific to the model that was being sold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, impressed, 27 Jan 2014
This is great- very fast download speeds and works all over the places I have been so far in UK. its honestly like having portable broadband. I didn't know that 3 started the 3g network- it shows though and this little gadget is faster than any phone 3g connection I have seen. I am getting 7mb/s on this- twice the speed of my home network. Cheap to run also - just buy a card from Amazon and/or top up at a supermarket etc. Good product- can also connect multiple computers/phones and it has a good battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great Mifi, 25 Sep 2013
C. Brooks (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the second E586 I have owned and it has not disappointed (the first one died through no fault of its own as it had an encounter with prolonged water exposure). It is so easy to set up, just insert the sim card, charge the battery and you are on line almost anywhere. Up to 5 devices can access the internet at one time and the coverage on the "Three" network is excellent. I would recommend that you check the coverage in your area though or where you intend to use it. The only slight downside (and I have not marked it down as a result) is that the instructions were in German and it came with a 2 pin continental charging adaptor. For me this was not a problem as I still had the old 3 pin charger from my previous E586 but it is worth bearing in mind. Highly recommended for mobile broadband.

4.0 out of 5 stars dont believe all you read, 19 Jun 2013
I perched this item with docking station but guess what I live in the UK so it doesn't come with it,I had the chance to return it but it works perfect so I've got it so I'll keep it, so if you live in the UK no docking station no UK 3pin plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it!, 17 May 2013
Love the mifi, get Internet access almost anywhere and always get good signal with 3. Have has a laptop, iPad and iPhone all running at the same time and it's brilliant. Would definately recommend! Great, fast delivery as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 26 Dec 2012
I have this 3 mobile MIFI and all I can say is Brilliant after 3 years with putting up with a Vodafone dongle with absolute lousy 3 g coverage this E568 is fantastic I no longer have to worry if my Internet will work when out in the countryside
The 3 network has mobile Internet sewn up leaving the other networks way behind.
Don't even consider Vodafone o2 Tmobile or Orange you will be disappointed if you do.

3 Mobile E586 3GB USB MIFI Mobile BroadBand Modem - Black