4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not fantastic, 18 April 2014
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-ER5120 Gigabit Load Balance Broadband Cable Router (Personal Computers)
I purchased this router to help be load-balance my multiple broad-band connections. As I'm a freelance contractor, I have multiple connections mainly for resilience and I purchased this router to automatically switch between them.

It works quite well for the money, but I'll be replacing it soon with something more sophisticated.

As a 'plug and play' device it works quite well, but if you want to get under the hood and make some more advanced changes you'll run into trouble.

What I liked was that it will automatically balance each device on my network to use the connection with the most available bandwidth, it will also filter traffic to a standby connection if one of the WANS fail (though you'll need the latest firmware for this to be reliable).

What I didn't like is that it's not possible to route devices to a specified connection, this can be hassle when you have secure connections or you have services bound to a particular WAN IP, features that are available on more sophisticated devices.

It's also frustrating that each WAN connection is limited to 100Mb, so if you have Virgin's top of the line connection then it will be limited by this device.

In summary then, a good value device that is reasonably straight forward to use (though they don't use standard network terminology to describe some of the menus), but it might disappoint users who are looking for a truly 'professional' piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, 17 Mar 2013
Professional appliance at consumer price level.
Solid performance, 19" rack mountable. Would be 5 star if it could service my lte usb modem gateway in bridged mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Router, 16 May 2012
I bought this Router to replace the one provided by my isp and I m very pleased with the results. The previous router had a limited NAT table and I had a lot of lost connections. With this router I saw over 90000 connections without a single problem.
I can't test the multiwan feature yet, due to owning only only VDSL line.
The interface is easy, but there are some small issues that need updating (Works fine with a time server but no provision for time saving changes, Some of the status screens are hidden inside other menus etc.)
Overall a very good router with a very sensible price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router!, 13 July 2014
Reliable and powerful. Super quiet, never failed on me so far! Loa balancing works great but I use failover as my second connection is terrible. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 April 2012
Rachael Bond (United Kingdon) - See all my reviews
I've had this router running continuously for 2 months now and it exceeds my expectations. The firewall, DMZ and user controls are far more complex than I need, but yet it is still extremely easy to configure and manage. The latency when connected to TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Switch in 1U Rack-Mountable Steel Case is minimal, with a LAN ping time in the order of 0.14ms. The unit is very well constructed and doesn't even get warm to the touch. For the price, it is an extremely impressive piece of kit that should meet all the requirements of any SMB.