on 16 February 2012
My HP CM1312MFP never worked properly in the 4 years I had it. Connection issues on ethernet, poor print quality, hugely expensive toner, software issues with Windows 7 all meant I was always installing / reinstalling software and consistently taking my print jobs elsewhere.

Got this yesterday and what a massive change.

Pros:

A3+ printing
Photo quality printouts on premium paper
Text quality great which is often where inkjets fail, even on small and complex typefonts
A3 scanning up to very high resolution. Virtually recreates the printout of the high res photo I scanned
Still fast when compared to a laser even on best quality.
2 paper trays
Auto duplex and ADF
CHEAP toner with high yield cartridges available.
Multiple connection options.

Cons:

Haven't found any yet.

Great printer for my small office. Having said that, even though it is a work printer I have the confidence to print out photographs for the wall now, which is a major bonus, and have ordered some premium photo paper from Epson and high yield cartridges.

Buy one, especially given how awful sub £1,000 pound colour laser MFP's are.
on 28 December 2012
This seems like a good and well designed printer and scanner that can scan (flat-bed) and print A3 size photographs. I load A4 in the top tray and A3 in the bottom tray, just need to set the menu so it knows that.

I have a major problem with the duplex (double-sided) paper handler on the back that regularly causes a 'PAPER JAM' and has to be removed paper extracted and reinserted, whereupon it starts printing from the next page not the half printed page that jammed, which is idiotic. Epson say that I have to return (this large printer) to the supplier for a technician to look at the problem. No response on this from supplier.

After about one year the print quality is awful. Missing lines across print even after repeated head cleaning and head alignment. Now hopeless for photos and documents are just about OK in black and white. Really disappointed.
on 23 March 2013
Have now been using this printer for about 12 months and have been generally please with is performance and value for money. I generally use it with compatible ink and have not really experienced any difficulties as a consequence of not using genuine cartridges. Have tended to use this printer for volume print jobs which it has handled comfortably with little waste. As the previous reviewer stated I too have had problems with the double sided printing facility. Sometimes I think it is due to the paper being poor quality but having said that even using good quality paper can still leave you feeling frustrated. This is particularly the case if you want to leave the printer to crack on. I currently use it wirelessly which does have an effect on its ability to print both sides although I'm not sure if this is because I am stupid. I don't know if it's complicated since I only tend to use it for printing and maybe the odd scan which incidentally provides excellent quality reproductions. Epsom have suggested that the double sided printing facility can be compromised unless you use genuine Epsom paper and ink which would make the running of the printer quite expensive.

Would certainly purchase this printer again. Good availability of compatible ink cartridges.
on 11 December 2012
I purchased this on behalf of my local Parish Council (Being a councillor) and set it up last week it only took a short time to have it up and running, have used the LAN connection as only one person will be using the printer. It is very quick printing both black and or colour documents.The only problem was that the UK 3pin adaptor suppied was the wrong type, but a quick phone call to the supplier had the correct one supplied within a couple of days.Would definatly recommend both the product and supplier.
on 4 December 2013
This is a good A3 printer and scanner with automatic duplexing. It prints well, and fast. It's great to have an A3 scanner. I have not been able to get it to print double sided A3 - it just prints single sided. It has two paper trays (one A3, one A4) able to hold around 150 sheets of paper each. It has _no_ manual paper feed, so if you want to print on some kind of special paper (e.g. photo paper) you have to remove one of the paper trays and put your special paper in there - not ideal. It does occasionally feed two sheets at once - which can be very annoying when you are manually printing double sided (which you have to do on A3 due to the above problem).

The worst feature though is the software, which I have been completely unable to use on two of my 3 computers. It works OK on my Vista PC, but it won't work on either of my Windows 7 PCs (one 32-bit, one 64-bit). I can't scan or print from these computers, which makes having a network printer completely pointless. I have not been able to get any effective help from Epson Support.

So in summary, a good printer spoiled by useless software.

Rowan
on 26 March 2014
This printer stubbornly refuses to connect by USB to my PC, despite using the exact same Cable and connection as my previous (Canon) Printer/Scanner which never had any issues.
I've got it working as a Network printer which is good for iPads but the scan function and any reasonable quality printing is painfully slow. I'm pretty sure that using the Auto-Document Feeder is slower than manually opening and closing the scanner lid.
Far too many buttons on the printer, and support software on Pc is woefully basic. Epson really need to spend some time on their interface design.

Not really happy with this purchase, but will be keeping it for the A3 capability, as unfortunately Canon don't seem offer an all-in-one A3 printer/scanner.
on 6 February 2014
The printer has many functions.
But, it is an alcoholic when it comes to ink cartridges and they are really expensive.
Perhaps that's why it is cheap. Epson make their money on the ink.
Epson are also great at confusing you and complicating re-ordering inks.
You have been warned
on 17 December 2013
I am currently on my 3rd new machine since August 2013. The first was replaced free when the flimsy paper delivery trays began to fall out onto the floor. The second began to deliver output with two vertical lines down each sheet when the ADF was used. Long unhelpful discussions with Epson eventually resulted in their recommendation to send this massive machine off to a service centre for some undetermined time.
This was not acceptable and I was offered another free replacement. After a month this seems to be working OK. BUT, I run OS X 10.9 Mavericks and the Epson scan application can't be used under this release. I currently have a mail in to Epson asking when a new driver will be available, but no answer so far...

By the way, I posted a similar review to this on the Epson site and received a response that it would not be published as it 'contravened their policy'. I wonder why?

I have also noted a comment from another reviewer that there are false 'paper jam' messages when duplex printing. I have also suffered a few of these and it is really annoying to have to remove the rear unit (against a wall, shift heavy printer over edge of desk, disconnect, get torch, bang head on shelf, remove unit, search for jam, don't find anything, replace unit, replace shifted cables, reconnect, reorganise desk)

Such a pity, because if you want a multi-function inkjet with A3 capability, choices are very limited and in theory at least, this is a very capable machine.

UPDATE: June 2014: Flimsy paper trays now falling out onto the floor again. I can't be bothered to get yet another replacement so I guess I will have to put up with it. I think there is a Brother model that is also A3 multi-purpose, but I think you may have to load A3 manually.
on 25 June 2012
Good quality all rounder for printing, copying and scanning. We have no need for the fax but would most likely be good especially for the home/business user, as would the WiFi facility, although we are networked. The machine as very easy to set up, configure and use. Excellent value for money.
on 10 December 2013
I bought it mainly for its A3 capability as I already had an Epson printer. It works very well and prints faster than my Epson XP-850 multifunction printer. I feel print quality is a bit better on my other printer but not much difference. It is a bit noisy but for casual home use I do not mind. A3 capability is great for printing or scanning large documents like drawings or plans which at A4 size would be unreadable even if scanned elswhere.