on 8 March 2012
Can I just start off by saying WOW. Fever is the second book in The Chemical Garden trilogy, I really enjoyed Wither (the first book) but this one defiantly topped it. I devoured it in one day as it was un-put-downable. Rhine really blossomed in Fever and really developed as a character. I think I loved it that little bit more than Wither because Rhine got to leave the mansion and have adventures, horrific as they were, they definitely made for an interesting read.

The storyline picks up right were it left off at the end of Wither. Rhine and Gabriel are trying to bake their way to Rhine's home in Manhattan, in the hopes of finding Rhine's twin brother Rowan. The stumble upon a carnival in the scarlet district, that is run by the venomous Mademe. They are captured and forced to work in Mademe's seedy shows.

Rhine is planning an escape, she says if she could escape once she could do it again. But escaping doesn't prove to be an easy task, they are watched constantly.

Vaughn, her very mad and wicked father in law is tirelessly searching for Rhine, he won't let what he believes is his property go easily. He is determined to bring her back to to the horrendous mansion, with it's basement from hell. Can he succeed? Well he is rich and powerful with all the money and power at his disposal who knows what he is capable of?

I don't want to give to much away to anyone who hasn't read this fantastic book yet, so I won't spoil it by saying anything more. But I will say, the ending, gosh, Lauren DeStefano knows just how to keep her readers begging for more. I am now eagerly awaiting the final instalment in The Chemical Garden trilogy.

Lauren DeStefano writes compellingly, her writing is crisp and to the point and you really couldn't ask for more in a book. The only one thing for me was Gabriel, I really don't connect with him, he comes across nice and

My favourite character was the main one:

Rhine: She came into her own in this one, she is strong, intelligent, caring and I just love her determination and how she won't give up.

I also have to mention little Maddie: She was such a welcome addition, I loved how intelligent she was, even though she never speaks. She is one brave little lady, who has been to hell and back already in her short life.

Some of my favourite quotes:

" Everyone should remember being born. It doesn't seem fair that we only remember dying."

"It's best not to wonder at what cost."

4.5/5 Stars

Carly :)

*Special thanks to Harper Voyager Books for the review copy.*
on 14 March 2012
I really liked this book, it was set after Rhine and Gabriel's escape from the mansion so we weren't just stuck in the one place this time. It also meant we got a look at the world and what the disease had done to the cities and country in general. I thought the circus/ brothel was a great idea since it totally threw the idea of childrens carnivals and circus fun on its head, which is what the disease has done to young people. I complained in the last book that I didn't understand Vaughn but alot about his sinister experiments is revealed! I like that Rhine and Gabriel also aren't all flowers and hearts after they escape either, interestingly Gabriel's disappointed by what he finds on the outside. Overall I think the second installment developed the characters more and the plot was full of action and all sorts of adventure. A thrilling read that I'd recommend, I wasn't bored reading this at all and infact couldn't stop until I'd finished. :)
on 18 February 2012
Lauren has brought the magic to this book just like the first. Every words leaves you begging for more. The book is captivating and will hold onto you right up until the very last word. Lauren has somehow found a way to make the book affect the readers emotions. It is as though you are a part of the book as the description lights up the story. If you want to read a good book go for this one, it not only has an ability to captivate the reader but also to involve the reader. One of the best books I have ever read and most likely the best one I will ever read! Enjoy this book as much as I have, you won't regret buying this book!
on 5 March 2012
*WARNING: I cannot review this book without including spoilers from Wither. If you are planning to read Wither soon, it's best not to read this review.*

I loved Wither, and I was eagerly counting down the days until the release date. I defied my book ban (not that that was ever officially in place ;)) for it. If you loved Wither, you'll probably love Fever.

Fever picks up right from where Wither left off. Rhine and Gabriel have finally escaped the mansion and are setting off to return to Manhattan to find Rhine's twin brother, Rowan. The journey to freedom is not so easy however, and quickly Rhine and Gabriel are captured by a mad woman who runs a scarlet house in an abandoned circus. They encounter many evils in the real world but also manage to gain some friends and companions. They soon find out that Housemaster Vaughn is hot on their trail though, and they need to be careful.

When I first started reading Fever, the first sentence immediately caught my attention and I filed it away for future reference in my brain:

"We run, with water in our shoes and the smell of the ocean clinging to our frozen skin."

That line just really stuck with me, and from then on, I was hooked. The book dives right into Rhine and Gabriel's journey, and wastes no time bringing up a new situation. In this book, you really get to see more of the real world in the series, and what it's like. For me, the one word that comes to mind is: bleak. The world has become devastatingly desperate and broken, and that theme continues throughout the book.

Rhine is as determined and strong as ever. She doesn't stop to relish in her freedom, and her mind is always at the task at hand. However, when things start to seriously get tough, the determination does waver. Who can blame her though? The situations she's put in do bring on a feeling of hopelessness. Gabriel is further developed as a character in this book, and we get to see how he adjusts to the outside world. The romance was also very sweet. The secondary characters were very good, albeit mostly creepy and just plain wrong. Now on to Vaughn. He's more of a threatening presence than an actual person/figure in the book; he's constantly in the background, waiting to pounce. This really adds to the sinister and creepy feeling of the book, and the characters never truly feel safe.

Things really start to pick up about three-quarters of the way into the book, and all the secrets come pouring out. I couldn't read it fast enough and the ending was very shocking. However, things overall were quite slow which means you might need a little bit of patience, but trust me, it's worth it. I can't wait to see what happens in book 3!
on 1 March 2012
Firstly, I love this cover. I have loved both the covers in the Chemical Garden Trilogy so far but this is my favourite.

When I knew that FEVER was coming out, I asked Rosi at Harper Collins for an ARC. She said that HarperVoyager were sending them out and I would get it soon. Unfortunately, the first one got lost so I had to wait for another one. Luckily that arrived on Monday so when I finished my previous book, I picked it straight up.

I adored this book from beginning to end. I had not long read WITHER so the story of Rhine Ellery was fresh in my mind. Having been left hanging at the end of Wither, I was only too happy to be sucked right back in.
For me personally, FEVER was even better than Wither. Where I awarded 4 stars before, this is a straight 5 star in my opinion.
Lauren DeStefano's writing has a way of drawing you in to the deepest darkest corners of Rhine's world and leaving you trapped. Not that I minded, in the slightest.

This time around, Rhine and Gabriel are free. But at what cost? Surely nothing as good as their freedom should come without a price?

Washed up on shore, they find themselves being captured by Madame Soleski. A cruel and bitter ringmistress if ever there were one. Madame isn't at all happy that the pairl have turned up. She believes them to be spies or to have had spies follow them there. Truly a more evil woman I am yet to meet. (I found myself thinking that her and Housemaster Vaughn would make a great couple. Bitter, twisted, perfect for each other).

Rhine and Gabriel find themselves thrust into a world that is no better than the world they came from. They are drugged, forced to work in Madame's twisted carnival. Rhine is to be her star attraction, her 'Goldenrod'. From one life where she is forced to do things others want her to, to yet another world where she must do things against her will for the entertainment of Madame and her clients.
I couldn't help but feel sorry for Rhine being 'free' of Housemaster Vaughn and the life she had. It seemed to me that maybe, she might have been better off where she was.

For this young couple, the road to freedom is a long and fraught journey. What's worse is that Housemaster Vaughn is still determined to find Rhine and bring her back to the mansion. At any cost.

Will she ever be free? Will she ever find Rowan, her twin?

The emotions in this book made me well up with tears more than once. I can honestly say I didn't really feel happy. There were just times when I felt a little less sad.
I can't wait to see what happens in the final book in this trilogy. I can't help but hope that there will be a little ray of light to penetrate the darkness that Rhine is in. Whilst I know that the road must be rough and it cannot go from such despair to the height of happiness, I do hope to see Rhine experience true happiness, be it just remotely. Even if it's only for a short time, it would be good to see one real smile on her face. After everything she has been through and is no doubt yet to go through, I hope there can be one shining moment for her.

Thanks to Lauren DeStefano for creating this Dystopian masterpiece. Thanks to HarperVoyager who provided this copy of FEVER.
on 10 March 2012
I didn't finish this book. Stopped about midway. The story just seemed to be dragging along too slowly. For example, the first quarter was spent at a sort of brothel circus. Pages and pages were spent describing how the circus works and you start the think that the book will be mostly set there but nope, as soon as the description is done, Rhine and Gabriel leave. What a waste of paper !Maybe I should've continued but reading became such a chore and good books should be enjoyable to read.
on 3 August 2014
I have read the whole series of this, book 1 is for me by far the stand out for me! I finished book 1 in a day & really got engrossed in the story I was very eager to start this second book, I did enjoy it but some of the characters from book 1 are gone and it felt hollow, a little lost, it did leave me a little deflated after the high of the first book, it was an interesting ending which wetted my appetite for the 3rd book! the series is good on the whole but it is not on par with others in this ever growing genre. I felt the characterization was let down to the first book so was the actual story, attention to detail, the plot etc was weaker :( the third book I was eager to try as yet again an interesting ending to get me want to read, the main thing that lets book 3 down is although some characters from book 1 are back they are not used well, some people who were made out to be a certain type turned out to not be as once thought & didn't buy in that change it didn't quite make sense for me from what I had read before. Over all an interesting way to spend a week reading a trilogy!
on 7 June 2015
Fever is the second book in the Chemical Garden trilogy and whilst I enjoyed the first book, Wither, slightly more than this one, it was still a great read.

The series is about a dystopian world where the men only live to 25 and the women 20, so they're forced to breed early in order to keep the population alive. Rhine is the main character and in the first book, she is captured and sold to a wealthy family to marry Linden and become one of his many wives.

The second book follows on from this storyline, but going into more details would spoil the first book. I liked this book slightly less than the first, but I can't place why. Up until around three-quarters of the way through, my interest wasn't held that well, but I'm dedicated to finishing the series so I pushed on. At the end, I was hooked again. The ending was tense and I can't wait to start the third book to find out what happens. I would highly recommend starting this series.
on 5 May 2014
This is an okay follow up..but personally I liked the first one better. I spent a lot of time reading this book, purely because I got a tad board half way through and stopped reading, but after a while I started reading it again and I finished it and Im glad that I did, as the story does get better through out the book.
Pros-
-The second tells you more about Rhines world out side of the prison/mansion
-The story is just as detailed as the first one.
Cons-
-At the begging the story does drone on a bit but trust me its necessary!
I hope this helps you,
please vote to say if this was helpful!
on 6 June 2013
So I'm not exactly sure what to write about this book, I really enjoyed Wither and was really looking forward to Fever (sadly I had to wait for the smaller format to come out..) but I can't help but say I was disappointed. I was a huge Linden fan and the lack of him in this novel made it some what bland for me.

I'm not a huge Gabriel lover, and I wasn't thrilled when they ran away together either. It's not that he's bland or anything, or there is no chemistry between them because there definitely is. I felt so many feels towards these two during different points during the book, and I do love what Gabriel did for Rhine... I just prefer Linden.

The story itself.... well whilst reading it I felt as though none of it was necessary, but then as I got closer to finishing the book, I realised that no I actually really enjoyed the story. And it was necessary, as I found out for Rhine's defeat at the end. If she hadn't have gone through what she had, I feel as though the ending would have been very different, the attachments she formed and such were important.

I was so happy when Linden appeared again, though I was really unhappy at first, and I still kind of am, but I love him <3 So he can't do anything wrong in my books! Cecily still annoys me and I still hate her. Ugh. And VAUGHN! You *insert bad word*. Ugh, again. I don't know... He's an amazing bad guy, Lauren writes him well. But I just hate him. With a passion.

ROWAN! I want to know what's going on at the end of this novel. Can we please see Rowan soon? :D Please?

Overall I was definitely less impressed with Fever, but the ending brought it back for me. I'm hoping Sever picks the trilogy up again... But both you and I know, the ending I want... I won't get ):