Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 19 June 2011
This review is for an older model which ran Android 2.3 & was only dual core & while this looks a superior product to the one I reviewed It definitely is not the same product. Before I ordered this I poured over & over many reviews. I eventually decided to order this, as it came within my budget & did what I wanted it to do, which I'm very glad I did. The tablet exceeds my expectations, doing evrything it's claimed to. The screen is a dream to use the wifi connectivity is great Everywhere but my own house (think its a problem with my router)comes with 2 usb leads & a charger. My brother in law has an iPad & I reckon my tablet is just as good. The only slight problem I had, this being my first foray into Android was that I only got the 2 paper manuals which are pretty sparse. I contacted Quality stores thro' Amazon & received a reply within a few hours appologising, as the full Android manual should have been preloaded o the tablet, but they offered to email it to me. Unfortunately Amazon kept blocking out my email address & theirs, but after several tries they phoned me I gave them my email address & had the full manual by return. In my view great customer service is not not having to use it, but when you do you get dedication & helpfullness like I received. I would certainly recomend the product & the excellent service I received. I would have no hesitation in buying from them again.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 January 2012
I've been involved with computers for over 40 years. Most of that time I was writing software that ranged from System software to commercial applications. I've seen computers shrink from rooms full of equipment to something that you can carry in your hand. However up to very recently I have had no experience of tablets, or indeed, smartphones.
Some months ago I bought a cheap 10" tablet with the intention of using it as an intro to tablets. It became obvious that although it was good at what it did the tablet had many restrictions - it dropped wifi at will and there was no feeling that it would last for a long time. So I decided that I would buy another tablet - my Christmas present - that would have the functionality that I wanted and would hopefully last for some time. Price was of course a consideration and £200 was as high as I could realistically go.
I did some research and Cambridge Sciences soon came into the picture and, thanks in part to the enthusiastic reviews that they received, I decided to buy the latest model with Android 3.0.
Delivery was exemplary. I ordered it at 4pm one day and it turned up on my doorstep at 10am the following day. Unfortunately there was no one there to receive it! However after contacting the delivery company it was delivered within a day or two.
I didn't open it until Christmas day but I certainly wasn't disappointed.
From the word go it gave the appearance of good design and competence and after a week of substantial usage nothing suggests otherwise.
Moving from a resistance screen to a capacitive one meant certain adjustments to the pressure applied. In fact now, when I go back to the old tablet, I am surprised how much pressure must be applied to the resistive screen to get it to work. The obverse of that is that to start off I was having some problems with the screen, but it didn't take long before my touch was adjusted and away we went. Unlike the old tablet there does not appear to be any parts of the screen that don't work so the whole of the screen is usable.
The screen itself is clear and bright and easy to read.
Sound is always going to be a problem with this price of machine, and a backwards facing loudspeaker doesn't really help, but to be honest if I want to listen to music I will use headphones anyway so it's not really a problem.
The only real problem with sound is not having a physical volume control. Initially it was a pain having to drop out of an application, go into "Settings" and adjust the volume. However there always seems to be an "app" to fix anything and now I've got a volume control widget which makes it easier to adjust the volume quicker.
Wifi seems to be good. So far I've not had any problems with Wifi dropping. I've not done any serious range tests but it certainly gives better performance than my old tablet.
I'm not interested in 3G so I can say nothing about that but I have no reason to think that there would be any problems with it.
I bought a 16mb micro SD card for extra storage and so far there have been no problems with storage capacity. I've already loaded up the apps that I want and there is still plenty of room.
I would have liked a full size USB port but with a machine this small it's not a practical consideration. However I did have a problem with the mini to full size USB converter plug that was included with the tablet. I'm not quite sure why but it failed after a few days and I needed a quick delivery from Amazon to get a new one sent to me. (I mainly needed it to be able to use the external keyboard that I had bought separately. For someone with clumsy fingers like mine the keyboard is much easier to use!)
I'd not come across the OTG usb's before but I was able to use the OTG USB port with no problem to download files from my laptop to the tablet.
I haven't tried the HDMI and so can't comment but I have no doubt that it will work.
There are quite a few applications that come preinstalled. The BBC iPlayer is a bonus as is Skype. I have my own preference for File Managers but they are easy to download from the Market.
Summing up: I am very pleased with this machine and I anticipate that it will serve me well for a substantial time in the future. However I also know that if there is a problem a quick email to QS will get me an answer.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 July 2012
On seeing news of an Android 4 tablet at such a good price I came to this page to find out more and nearly off my chair at reading "Instant Order Update: You purchased this item [in March 2012]".

Having convinced myself I wasn't going mad and hadn't bought an Android 4 tablet then forgotten, or had my account hacked, I checked my email confirmation from that time and, sure enough, the item I purchased was a completely different one.. a cheap & cheerful lower spec "8GB Cambridge Sciences G7-II 7inch Android 2.3 Tablet. 8GB Hard Drive. Capacitive Touchscreen. Flash 11.0"

I recognise a number of the reviews from that era and can't believe someone has just edited the product page title, meaning that many of the 5-star reviews relate to a totally different product. On the plus side (potentially) the flaws that led to 1-star reviews also do not relate to this product, though the seller isn't doing themselves any favours by associating a new device with old complaints!

I do urge you to check that any positive reviews which may ultimately result in a purchase of this item were actually posted in the last month or two and refer specifically to this 4.0.3 tablet.
on 8 December 2011
OK - I don't usually write reviews but felt compelled to do so for this product as I spent a long time researching which tablet to buy for my 2 children for Christmas and want to help others cut down the time deliberating!! :)

What was I looking for? 2 low cost Android 7inch tablets for my 2 eldest children (9 and 7). OK 9 and 7 might seem a bit young for this but all they asked for was an iTouch and they always grab my Samsung Galaxy sII phone to play games. I thought why spend £160 on an iTouch when I can get them an Android device that will do everything that can do with twice the screen size and give them a Kindle for ebooks at the same time. We also do some long car journeys so thought this could be a great option for them to watch movies on the journey and save me getting separate portable DVD players.

Why this product? I wanted something with Android 2.3 and Flash 11 support for Internet streaming and I also wanted a capacitive screen as the regular touch screens are not user friendly. A decent processor and battery life plus the ability to add to the storage as they filled it up with stuff was also important. I generally only buy the "big brands" but those were well out of my £150-£180 per device price range so I also needed to have some trust in what I was buying. Thanks to all the others who posted reviews for this product - you realy helped me make the right choice!!!!

First impressions.....It's GREAT. Seriously, it's better than I expected!! I am quite particular about technology and quick to find fault but the device looks, feels and works like a much more expensive tablet. Boot times are good and the OS seems stable and clean. It came loaded with pretty much everything the kids will need to get going. I expected to have to spend hours getting it all ready for them but all I've done is set up the wireless security to my home network, load Angry Birds and personalised it for them with some different backgrounds. It's early days so can't talk about long term reliability etc but no problems so far and I confess I've been playing with it for the last few evenings with no issues at all. Wireless range seems to be the same as my PC and smartphone so all good there.

Downsides.....the forward facing camera isn't great (prett low res) but that's not the reason I bought it and it'll be fine for what they need. The menu and back buttons are on the side of the device and I'd have preferred if they were on the front but I'm really being picky now! It's quite heavy but that adds to the feeling of quality in my view and I'll trade a bit of extra weight anyday for the features and battery life that this has compared to some of the competition.

In summary, I thoroughly recommend the device and the seller. It was delivered way ahead of the estimated delivery date and well packaged. I can't wait to see their faces when they unwrap them on Christmas Day!!!! :)
on 2 June 2011
This is a quality product which performs exactly as described in the sales brief. I hunted high and low on the internet for a tablet that met my requirements and the two that I purchased for my wife and I have not disappointed us.

* Very fast service (arrived in two days from order)
* Professionaly packaged (Both the item and delivery)
* An extra neoprene cover was also included (not expected).
* The tablet responds very quickly to input on the capacitive screen (no hard pushes).
* Wifi works well in all rooms of the house (i.e. server upstairs and myself down)
* Downloads of e-books and mp3 music takes seconds to finish.
* Very good value for the money

I still need to improve the wifi reception when out and about, I probably need a usb wifi attachment and I am still looking for something suitable for android.

All in all a very good buy that I would fully reccommend to others and I would certainly do business with this company again.
on 15 November 2011
I had been looking for a tablet - mainly to access books in various formats, but also for a bit of web browsing and video watching. An iPad would have been minimum £400 and also a bit bigger than I really wanted. So I had a browse around and settled on this model.

So what do you get for your money? A generic Android tablet (there is no actual branding on the device) which has had some branding ("Cambridge Sciences") added to the software and box. The device itself seems well made, and sits in the hand nicely, so is great as a book reader. The device is black from the front, but has a white, gently curved back.It weighs more than a paperback and about the same as a hardback. Physical connectivity is fairly good (audio, separate sockets for host and client USB connection, a mini HDMI connection and a micro USB slot. It has an on/off button, a rocker switch that operates the Android 'menu' and 'back' functions, a home key, a basic, front facing camera, and a rather tinny little speaker

And of course a screen. A good one. Resolution at 800x480 is good if not fantastic. Brightness and colour are excellent, and the capacitive touch screen function is very responsive and nice to use - unless you try to use it with the power supply connected, which for some reason causes it to behave erratically. This is OK watching films and reading books, but don't try to type an email when it is plugged in. Watching films and reading books is a pleasure. One small gripe - there seems to be slight mismatch between the physical and electronic form factor of the screen - making circles slightly elliptical. If showing photos of figure-conscious friends make sure you keep it in portrait orientation!

The Android 2.3 operating system runs well on the 1GHz processor, all the apps I have used run well, and there are a useful number of pre-installed apps. The movie player isn't great though (it does not remember where you got up to), so I bought one off Android Market for a small sum. That is the only app I have bought though, all my other app needs I have satisfied for free. As expected, there is a huge range of apps out there on the UK market. One slight irritation is the android implementation thinks it is running on a phone, so you often get re-directed to phone optimized websites, whereas in landscape mode 800 pixels is wide enough for most standard websites.

The device has WiFi of course, but no other form of wireless connectivity, though it will accept a bluetooth 'dongle'. There is no GPS or compass, so any AR functions are excluded. It does have a gravity/acceleration sensor, so tilt type games will work. I've not really tried that out however. I have the 8GB version, but 4 & 16 are available. The MicroSD slot will take up to a further 32GB

The 'host' USB slot has limited functionality - perhaps down to what Android allows. It will accept a mouse or keyboard, or even a bluetooth dongle. But it does not seem to connect to external data storage such as a card reader or memory stick, which would be useful.

It comes with cables for both mains and car charging, and a little cable which converts a mini usb socket into a standard one, and a normal mini usb to standard usb cable for hooking up to a computer. The instructions are minimal but just about adequate, though a moire extensive guide in electronic form on the device itself would be useful.

All in all I am very pleased with my new 'toy' having had it about a month. And Quality Stores, who sold it to me, have excellent after sales service. I was trying to source an two pin power supply (as I am currently in Italy) and they were very helpful.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 November 2011
I ordered this device at about 3.00pm 10/11/2011 and it arrived before 10.00am NEXT DAY! The packaging was good but the enclosed leads were not in their bags, this would not have registered as odd but the torn open bags were all in the box and the unit was fully charged. That said the unit showed no signs of use and the protective plastic covers were intact.
As stated it was fully charged and I took it to my daughters wedding that afternoon and immediately after filming the service I put the micro SDHC card from my camera into it into it and it played the HD video with no problems at all. I connected my 3 Mobile HUAEWI E1550 3G USB stick and it just worked with no other setting up required. Likewise it found my WiFi router immedately and after entering my network key connected with no problems.
The screen is responsive and very useable. I bought a 16Gb micro SD card and downloaded my Kindle collection onto it and that all works ok.
I still need to learn more about Android to get the most out of it but overall I am very pleased with it. Well worth the money and a great introduction to Android tablet PCs at an affordable price.

Update 8/12/11
Having had the item for about a month now and learnt a bit about Android (Yes I know a month is not long to learn about an operating system but I have been a PC support engineer since Windows 2) I am absolutely delighted with the G7-II. It is fast, uses ordinary web pages as opposed to cut down phone pages, the available apps are good including many free programs. The battery life has improved after a few full discharge and recharge cycles and can easily last through 2 full length films, converted from DVDs on my PC with free DVD to MP4 converters of which there many on the web. The addition of a 16Gb micro SD card means I have 10 films and 25 novels to watch and read anywhere and the included car charger means I always have it with me.
An aside, some other reviewers have said that the on screen keyboard is erratic if used while charging, I bought a case from a supplier on Amazon for around £8.00, to protect it, the case had a built in USB keyboard and this not only cures the problem but turns the device into a mini laptop, (the on screen keyboard can be disabled in settings). Superb 11 out of 10!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 November 2011
Like I said, seriously impressed. I bought this for my very fussy other half, because he spends hours reading technical PDF docs from his HTC and I started fearing for his eyesight.... He's worked in the computer harware industry for many years and finds fault with everything and isn't easily impressed by brand names. I asked him in advance what the top specs should be, he named: capacitive screen with multi-touch, android OS 2.2 or above, at least 3 hours battery life, market and apps already uploaded. After 2 weeks of searching I finally came across this one. And that was that. It has all the specs he wanted and it does what it says on the tin! User friendly, responsive, plenty of connecting USB options including HDMI. I know for a fact he will be impressed too. I've already connected it to our Wi-fi before I put it back in the box and wrapped it ready for Xmas. Good quality graphics and download speeds, I spent about an hour playing with it and even managed to do some more Xmas shopping on it (I suspect I might be hijacking it at weekends hihihi)
on 1 May 2012
I recently had cause to return a 7inch Tablet (not a Cambridge Sciences tablet!) as it overheated, had only one hour battery life and was not very touch sensitive. I then read reviews about this Cambridge Sciences tablet and I must say they were very accurate. It logs on to broadband extremely quickly and from other parts of the house. It has a glass screen, so is less likely to get scratched. It is very sensitive and has all the required ports for speaker/headphones, mic, USB, micro Sd card. The menu and back buttons are on the top so are less likely to be pressed in error.(my previous tablet were on the front and could easily be pressed when holding the screen).After a month, in daily use, it has never given any problems. Battery life is in excess of 5 hours, no sign of overheating, viewing of BBC i player and ITV player are both excellent.

Many thanks, Bowler
on 3 May 2012
I bought this G7 after looking at many other 7" androids on the market. The Cambridge G7 came up to spec and at the right price. I needed to find an alternative for the kids as they are always playing games on my I Phone and sometimes couldn't get near it. This tablet has everything, Apps, Internet, TV. My kids have already downloaded a load of apps and play on it regular, the visuals are good, has a nice touch, and a responsive touch screen. The laptop hardly gets used now so that is nearly redundant, all emails are check on the G7.

I also purchased a New 7" Inch Black Leather Look Case + USB Keyboard With Free Stylus & Stand Feature For Protection Of Your 7" Tablet PC ePad aPad Device The keyboard works with this tablet.

What more could you ask for.

Oh yes customer service, second to none, I asked a question about SKY GO. I got a detailed response from Tracy, Tracy is also keeping me informed of updates. AMAZING

After having the product a while now, it is still a great product, one thing i will say is the charging port is weak. I have difficulties setting the charger at a certain angle to ensure it charges