5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Quite Brilliant
I first picked this book up with a smug air of satisfaction: I was going to enjoy ripping this one apart. I had had enough of doing nice positive reviews, it was time for some good old fashioned vitriol and this tome- another road trip around the UK by some poncy metrophile southerner- would do the job perfectly.

And the first few pages appeared extremely...
Published on 14 Feb 2012 by Zipster Zeus

3.0 out of 5 stars Witty, very funny
Side-splitting laughter at first - so much so that I had difficulty in breathing! Unfortunately the style and content becomes very repetitious so that one flicks ahead for relief.
Published 22 months ago by Mr. A. Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, unfortunately!, 29 May 2012
I love Tim Moore's books. They're quirky, interesting and personal. Sadly his latest attempt is just depressing and incredibly repetitive. Moore's writing usually gets me laughing immediately, but this book raised just one half-hearted chuckle.

I have just reread it 2 years later, and it's better than I first thought. Full of interesting insights, but again it's just not up to Moore's usual high standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Aug 2014
Fascinating tale

1.0 out of 5 stars Compelled to write my first ever review as I felt so strongly!, 17 Jun 2012
I bought this book as it came up in my 'amazon reccommends' items. I can only assume that this was because I had purchased a lot by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace who write comedy/travel books about their adventures. I thought this author would therefore be as enjoyable as I have found Dave and Danny to be. I was really dissapointed and found I was forcing myself to read the book to get it finished so that I could read something good! I have visited many of the places that the author writes about and was suprised that they were even in the book. I don't know how he thought he would gather any real insight into any of the towns he briefly travels through on a cold December night, as anywhere in the UK at this time of year in the wind and rain is hardly going to get a favourable review! You get the same sad, depressing story everywhere he stops. It begins to become really repetitive and really dull. I couldn't tell you any part of the book which had a funny bit in. If you are looking for a good read in this genre than I would not reccommend this author, but give Dave Gorman or Danny Wallace a go if you haven't already!

1.0 out of 5 stars A travel through lazy commissions..., 24 Feb 2013
I guess I must have read around half a dozen books in this genre ever since Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island. None of them stood up to what Bryson did or have achieved his success. And Tim Moore's book is one more that fails to live up to Bryson's original. Why is it? For one thing, Moore simply doesn't have the quality and quantity of quips required to sustain 276 pages.

I reckon he couldn't have spent more than a couple of weeks on the road (if that). A criticism because a good travel writer tries to engage with the places he visits by spending time there. A good travel writer tells stories from the people he meets. Moore doesn't seem to have met or talked with anyone. Sure there are a few brief snatches of conversation, but on the whole he drives to a place, makes his observations about the people and buildings and moves on. Constant references to TV shows and internet research as humorous asides merely reinforce the fact that his heart is not into producing anything particularly original.

The humorous British travelogue. Please no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars books for life, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain (Kindle Edition)
I have only read a downloaded sample of this book,so cannot give a full review yet.
What i have read so far is good, and so funny. I am looking forward to reading it
in the future and am sure i will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars largely disappointing, 5 Oct 2013
As a big fan of Moore's monopoly book I desperately wanted this to be as good - even half as good. There's no doubting there's some truly gold moments, unfortunately they were discreetly hidden amid waffle, bland observations and general annoyances - e.g. constant bleating about the hard northern weather (you're in England Mr. Moore, not darkest Iceland), and endless wittering about the purposefully chosen 'crap soundtrack' for his journey - neither relevant or funny, just tiring. At times I found myself missing whole paragraphs, a cheat I rarely employ. There's no doubting that Moore is a skilled and talented writer, and I look forward to buying any future output his pen may produce. This book, however, just didn't flick my switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit......Slough, 12 Mar 2013
Shame. French Revolutions and Spanish Steps made me hoot with laughter, but this one......didn't. Perhaps it's because, the subject matter is too depressing to be funny in one large dose? if you haven't read any Tim Moore before, try one of his others, they're hilarious.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, 2 May 2012
This a good book, it made me smile a lot, but it could have been a great book and made me laugh, could have been but missed it by a whisker. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed reading Tim's book and was sorry to reach the end but it took me to chapter 13 just to get in synch with his style of writting. Some of his sentences are so long and wordy I forgot what they were supposed to be about. That may not be entirely the fault of the author, it may be that I am to stupid to understand what he was on about, 50-50 chance here. I should take umbridge at his list of really naff music that he had to listen to on his journey because I have most of them, I don't take umbridge because he is right. Tim is right about nearly everything he says and although this book is funny that does make me feel kind of sad for poor old UK. My son recommended this book to me and I am glad he did, the memory of it will stay with me quite a while, an enjoyable memory.

Note to Tim Moore - You are a gifted and witty author, don't make the mistake of presuming your audience is as clever as you, I ain't.

2.0 out of 5 stars BILL BRYSON HE AIN'T, 28 Jan 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whereas Bill Bryson is observational, subtle and humorous this author is not.

From what I can make out the humour is in the style of modern contemporary comedians, the ones who shout a lot and pick on and make fun of people who are not in a position to answer back to audiences that are worse the wear for drink.

Sentences, some interspersed with swear words for effect, with an underlying nastiness towards his victims. Yes I really do think the objects of his humour are victims. I can't make up my mind whether he enjoys belittling people he meets and the places he has visited or if he unaware that he has such a poor sense of humour.

Travelling with him from Great Yarmouth to Skegness was painful as he insults the people he meets by what I would describe as sniggering and laughing at them behind their backs. It's just one big `mickey take', his humour insults the waitress in Great Yarmouth then the `Jolly Fisherman sized fathers in football shirts' in Skegness. The `Jolly Fisherman' comment rears its head in Hull later on in the book. The less said about his comments on Walsall or Merthyr.

I would be surprised if he ever dared to go back to Scotland again, with comments such as `Scotland has the fattest women' which came across as being deliberately insulting.`Look at them over there, ha, ha, ha' finger pointing.

So it must be funny to point out and take the mickey out of people who are overweight, and he does this quite a few times throughout the book
The longer I read the book the more uncomfortable I became with it and please don't anyone claim it is satirical or ironic either. Gosh it was hard work.

I have no axe to grind, I am not overweight, I do not live in any of the places he visited, but I have visited some of them and I've never owned a Maestro.

I think he should be a little more humble. By all means be funny, entertain the reader but not at the expense of being rude to the objects of your humour in a quite distasteful way.

I do get the fact that he wanted to visit the worst of Britain and I think you can find humour in it but I don't think it needs to be at the expense of the people he meets to raise a laugh.

However I will concede that it takes all sorts, every ones sense of humour is different, it is all about personal taste and there maybe others who see this as funny. I unfortunately do not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly funny, 20 Feb 2012
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't find this book particularly funny or interesting.

The criticism of every place visited is relentless with no recognition of any positives and I didn't find the attempted humour good enough to carry this off. Some objectivity would have made it far more interesting. Instead the author just came across as a professional moaner and I found this more tedious as the book wore on.

Humour is a personal thing and while this is my view of this book others obviously feel differently (judging by the number of positive reviews on here). I just didn't find it very funny and thought the book had little else to offer.