TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2015
Tim Moore is not quite as witty as Bill Bryson, but he's very much in that vein. He decides to go on a tour of all the shabbiest and most unloved places he can find around Britain. I've also driven around Britain and stood in many shabby and unloved places, wondering "What happened here?", so this suited my curiosity.

He starts in the south east, works his way up the east coast, wanders into Scotland but decides "Scotland is too nice!", so comes home via the north-west and Wales. At a rough guess, he stops off at about forty places. Many of them are places that once were booming in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, but have since gone into great decline, and it was this vivid description of dying towns, seaside resorts and holiday camps that I most enjoyed - and he has done his research, and offers potted histories of those places when they were in their heyday. Some places, built as "new towns" in the 1950s and 1960s, were simply dire to start with, but overall it's a story tinged with sadness at what so many areas in Britain have lost.

There are a lot of descriptions of his horrible car and the horrible pop music he forces himself to listen to on the way, which I found a bit tedious, not being particularly interested in either. He does sometimes interact with other humans or describe them, and those encounters could be very funny. I am glad Keith Harris's and Orville's hideous concert at Britain's worst holiday camp had a happy ending.

It would have been REALLY good if there had been a map! There are a lot of unfamiliar place names in this book, and I would have appreciated an illustration of his route at the beginning, so that I could follow his progress better.
on 24 January 2014
Tim Moore resumes his travels, this time on a tour around the worst places in the UK. He drives the worst car, listens to the worst music, eats the worst food, stays in the very worst hotels and visits the worst locations - all of them selected by various opinion polls. The result is a wonderful book that had me snorting with laughter, for which I got a few odd looks in public places...

It is superbly written with some excellent analogies and witticisms - I highly recommend it, along with his other books, as he is a very funny man indeed.
VINE VOICEon 30 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Tim Moore travels around Britains most unloved places, in the car he finds most unloved, (calling it a name he finds now unloved), listening to music most unloved, staying in hotels unloved. He does it all the hard way and you have got to admire him very much for that, it is some research to turn down the lovely places and hotels for places that are unloved or unpopular. Just can hardly imagine someone setting out to do such a thing, it is quite an idea for a book and certainly interested me.

The book is humourously written but of course with this topic some of the subject matter is not funny and Tim doesn't try and joke everywhere at all. Infact the book gets very serious.

Tim made me laugh out loud at a few parts of the book though and they were the parts I liked best! wish there had been more laughs and not such serious sides.

The book feels very researched although I expect not all would agree with the views for sure.

I learnt a lot from the book about the history of places, and he gives lots of details, okay it can get heavy and at times a little boring but it kept me reading. There is a lot to read too, this is no short silly book. It can be silly but it is quite a big experience of Tim's being shared with us the reader.

It felt like a well researched read but for me would have prefered something lighter.
on 25 May 2014
We've all seem them and have been there but Tim Moore delightfully and very amusingly put the worst places in Great Britain into a great read. Tim must be a masochist.The worst towns,hotels,soundtrack,food and car make for an enjoyable book.
What is it about the British that we are experts at turning our seaside towns into toilets. It's possible to understand how the large industry towns and cities go down the pan once the industry disappears but the tackiness of our seaside resorts is beyond me.
on 12 February 2013
This book reminds me of Bill Bryson: humorous travelogue, with some history and social observations woven in. At times it's very funny, at times a poignant elegy for a great British past (and a pretty grim picture of the present). It's not laugh-a-minute stuff, and I found the chapters a shade overlong, but it is well written. It's a personal journey, so, as previous reviewers have indicated, there are gags that won't be to everyone's taste. But I found it enjoyable and grim and then enjoyable again.
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2014
I've read quite a few Tim Moore books now, and this is one of his best. The subject matter is ideal for his wry, often affectionate, observations and his exploration of the history and culture of places. I appreciate some may find his tone condescending, particularly if he's poking fun at your home town. However, as someone who was born and brought up close to Methil, I can only agree with his observations in that particular case, and I wasn't offended at all.
on 14 July 2014
I like Tim Moore. Ever since reading his torturous travels along the route of the Tour De France his books are always worth a gamble. This, again, did not disappoint with many a guffaw and chortle along the way it's also peppered with some very pertinent and painful observations of the country I call home. It's also an excellent resource of 'places to avoid at all costs'. Well written, funny, sad and highly recommended. Back for some more Moore soon I'm sure.
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Possibly, just possibly, if you are from the areas that Tim visits then you may be stung by his criticisms. Or you may smile wryly to yourself and nod in agreement. I know I would. The premise to visit all that is awful about the UK (towns, accommodation, food) can't have been particularly palatable for Tim (I wouldn't have sampled half the things he consumes), but it does present an interesting read. Mainly concentrating on the North, I feel quite disappoined that Tim doesn't give his thoughts on a few more southern hovels. But this book isn't just about the places Tim things are hideous - he's researched surveys (notably Location, Location, Location's best/worst place to live survey) and come up with a proper itineray. I've read a number of Tim's books, he's no Bill Bryson, but I have found his writing both engaging and amusing - and this book is the same. Highly recommended.
on 8 September 2014
This book was more serious than you would expect from the title. In some ways it was rather sad. A few of the places that Tim Moore visited were ruined by the dreaded local planners but the majority had the heart taken out of them by the closure of the pit, the fishing industry or the largest employer. The people who live in these places have no work and no hope. Read this book and it will open your eyes.
on 20 March 2014
It took me a while to get around to reading this but I was glad when I did. Tim Moore has a great sense of humour and he quite often had me laughing aloud. However, it's far more than being just funny. It is obvious that he is a very intelligent and observant man, who is able to describe the worst Britain has to offer with masterly prose. If you like Bill Bryson you will like this too.