5.0 out of 5 stars How very cleverly written!
I LOVE Sophie Kinsella, I have enjoyed all of her books and laugh at each one I read.

I was so eager to get my hands on this new novel however I felt a bit anxious as I had read mixed reviews with some negative reaction to the use of footnotes.

Published on 19 Feb 2012 by FLB

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard...
Published on 5 April 2012 by Mel h

5.0 out of 5 stars How very cleverly written!, 19 Feb 2012
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)

Well I got the book on Friday and finished it on Saturday, like every other Sophie Kinsella novel I was gripped and couldn't wait to pick it up again when I had to stop reading for a while...(to cook tea for my children for instance.....not that I begrudge them their tea - but really, when I am in the middle of a good book!!?)

I really liked the character Poppy, she was funny, dizzy but intelligent with a high emotional quotient and she doesn't give up. I thought the story line was really clever, the use of text conversations were great fun and I really liked the addition of footnotes.....they were funny and fitted in with the story very astutely.

I loved it, I laughed out loud several times and read the whole book smiling - now that is worth paying for!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Catalogue of Hilarity., 16 Feb 2012
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
Poppy Wyatt is a 29 year old intelligent girl with a respected career and a clutch of close girlfriends. Catapaulted into a high-profile relationship with the erudite son, (Magnus), of an academic family, Poppy finds herself humiliated by the intellectual snobbery.The circumstances she finds herself in reveal her wits and guile to overcome her predicament. The synopsis of a lost engagement ring,( a family heirloom), a lost mobile phone, the finding of another in a litter bin (Sam enters the scene), provide Sophie Kinsella with a wealth of material for a tale full of humour, wit and observation of human nature. The scrabble game is fantastic.

This is a frenetic front to back read. I would have slowed it down if possible(purely for personal enjoyment reasons), but the plot is so fast-paced. Some may say there is a predictability but the acutely descriptive portrayal of life's dilemmas makes the whole flow. There are sharp corners taken with a tale and further character development around each one. The dialogue is so full of momentum. It is a cleverly crafted novel full of enterprise and laughter with all expected from the writer. Thoroughly enjoyed and recommended. I read the Kindle edition. I did not feel the footnotes a problem. In fact found them an addition to the book's character at the end of the chapters.
No spoilers. None needed. The narrative unravels without further detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just didn't want the story to end, 15 July 2012
Originally reviewed at: [...]
Rating: 5 out of 5 biscuits

I had no doubts about whether I would like this book or not since Kinsella has been one of my favourite authors for many years, but she managed to WOW me once again. You think you've seen it all before? Well, brace yourself - you're in for another treat!

There's literally nothing Sophie Kinsella cannot do. I picked up I've Got Your Number the other night, thinking I'd read a few pages before going to bed. Three hours and 130 pages later I was still clutching my Kindle, not wanting to let go. I swear I say this every time I finish one of her books but this has to be my favourite novel of hers so far. Well, maybe it's a tie between this one and Twenties Girl, I don't know. All I know is, it's unputdownable.

I'm trying not to sound like an obsessed fangirl here (and failing miserably) but it really is that good. There's a bit of a similarity between her books in terms of characters and plot but do you know what? I don't even care. Poppy is an entertaining protagonist who, along with Sam, makes this book as good as it is. If you've read Kinsella's novels before then you know what to expect: a laugh-out-loud plot, witty and funny characters, laughter, and some tears along the way. There's only a few authors who manage to make me smile and cry at the same time and Kinsella is one of them.

Character-wise, I would say Poppy and Sam were my two favourites. Poppy is a bit clumsy, someone who tends to feel inferior to others and rarely dares to stand up for herself and confront other people, even if she's right. I loved how much she changed by the end of the novel. Sam is your typical businessman who has confidence, power, but at the same time, some of his comments just made me laugh out loud - and as it turns out, there's a more vulnerable side to him as well.

As for the plot, all I'm going to say is that it's brilliant. It's full of twists and turns and I almost never say this but I wouldn't mind if there was a sequel to this book. You know that feeling when you find a really good book and by the time you finish it, it's as if you had to say goodbye to your best friends? That's how I feel about Poppy and Sam, and Kinsella's characters in general. I just didn't want the story to end.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who's looking for an entertaining read or a swoon-worthy romance - I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's another masterpiece from the `Queen of Chick Lit' - simply perfect. I just can't praise this enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard..., 5 April 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
I have read all of sk books to date and thoroughly enjoyed- especially the shopahollic series. However, this book has been a let down. I didn't have a massive issue with the footnotes, although felt this format added nothing. I also didn't mind the fact the story line was hugely predictable- I think this is the case with all of sk books. The reason I have enjoyed her books in the past is the laugh out loud humour, and unfortunately, this book just did not do that for me. As I read the book I wondered if it's me just getting too old for this author, but up until now sk has been my favourite author. Would encourage any other fans to wait for the paperback...

5.0 out of 5 stars Adored it !!!, 21 April 2012
Conchie (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
This was my first Sophie Kinsella book and already I consider myself a devoted convert. What a wonderful wonderful book. I adored every page of it. Poppy is very close to walking up the aisle with the highly intelligent Marcus, when she goes on a girls night out. With a few drinks had by all, the girls all take it in turns to try on Poppy's amazing engagement ring, a magnificent emerald and diamond ring, and not just any old ring, this has been in Marcus's family for three generations, the classic family heirloom, and worth a fortune. Somewhere in the middle of concentrating on a raffle draw and an unfortunate fire alarm going off, the ring has somehow vanished. With everyone dispersed and gone home, its left to Poppy to stay on at the hotel on her hands and knees searching every nook and cranny for the missing ring and she is getting more hysterical with every moment. Cleaning staff are being pestered every two minutes to see if they have found it and the concierge is starting to get irked with her. Unable to get a good signal on her phone Poppy steps outside to see if anyone has texted her to say they have found it. As she holds her phone up to get a signal, someone zips past her on a bike and robs her phone straight out of her hand. Now she is utterly desperate. Her whole life is on that phone, and she has given her number to virtually everyone in the hotel to ring her if they find the ring. Wandering around the hotel lobby driving herself insane with worry, she suddenly spots a mobile phone which has been thrown away into a bin. Finders keepers is her motto and she grabs it and sees that its a top of the range phone and in working order. She gives the concierge and the cleaners the number of the new phone and manages to contact one friend who will pass the new number onto everyone else. No one is going to take THIS phone off her.

However.... Sam Roxton may have other ideas. A top business executive staying at the hotel, the phone is a company phone which belonged to Sam's PA who suddenly decided the job was not for her when the offer of a modelling contract materialised so she took off with no notice and dumped the phone in the bin. When Sam phones the number and gets Poppy instead, he is not best pleased....he demands she return the phone immediately, his whole life is on that phone, vitally important texts and emails, but Poppy is not giving in. Her crisis as far as she is concerned is more important and a thrown away phone is after all a finders keepers situation. So a very unusual arrangement unfolds. Sam agrees to let Poppy keep the phone only until her ring is found but she must in turn forward every email and text onto him as its vitally important for business transactions. Poppy and Sam, total strangers find themselves sharing a life in a very weird way. As Poppy becomes more and more drawn into Sam's world, she finds herself unable to stop herself interfering in his life, all for the best possible reasons of course.

And so unfolds ten extraordinary days in Poppy's life, where she has to cope with Marcus's uber intelligent family who make her feel so inferior, and who she knows in her heart don't want her to marry their precious son, the ongoing saga of the missing engagement ring and her desperation to keep the news that it's vanished from Marcus and his parents, Poppy's work as a physiotherapist where her colleague Annalise still feels miffed that it was Poppy who got to treat Marcus for his dodgy wrist all those months ago, and ended up bagging him instead of her, and of course Sam.......moody, curt Sam who never bothers answering half his emails, or noticing half of his staff, but with Poppy's interference, that's all going to change and Sam's life is never going to be quite the same again.

I re-read the glorious last chapter about three times........utterly adored it. Already I could see this story making such a good movie, and I hope someone has the sense to get a good screenwriter onto it. Sure fire hit if they do !.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Kinsella cracker !, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Kindle Edition)
Eagerly anticipated this latest Sophie Kinsella did not disappoint. Poppy is a fabulous character and her concern for everyone makes this story so easy to relate to. Great book, easy to read, loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasure, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
Sophie Kinsella's books have always been a guilty pleasure of mine; her books are ones that I can re-read time and time again and never get tired of; they're certainly feel good books which leave you with warm fuzzies.

However with I've Got Your Number I found it an extremely difficult read to get into (I'm blaming this completely on my reading funk, as lately I've found it hard to find a book which has really kept my attention). At first I didn't care about the main character Poppy Wyatt, she came across as frivolous and a bit nave, her fiancé Marcus seemed like a huge bore and his parents a right snobby pair. As I had extremely been looking forward to reading this book and didn't want to tarnish my reading experience, I did the best thing possible and took a break and a couple of days later when I picked it up again it still took me a while longer to get into but I certainly enjoyed it a lot more.

Poppy's wedding ring goes missing before her wedding; it's a priceless family heirloom dating back to her fiancés Magnus' grandmother. How will she be able to break the news to Magnus? To top it off within a short time of losing her wedding ring her mobile is stolen. Just by chance she stumbles across an elegant mobile dumped in a bin nearby seeing no one else in a flutter over it, she knabs it. However as soon as the owner of the phone Sam realises she has the phone he insists on having it back.

The escapades and problems Poppy found herself in reminded a lot of Becky from the Shopaholic series. In a lot of ways they were quite similar; both intelligent women, but always finding themselves caught up in some mess, fraternising with big successful businessmen and always never thinking before acting. But Poppy's character certainly grew on me as the story progressed and my first assumptions I had of her as a needy brat, I take back because yes at times she was someone who always wanted to impress others, never get on their bad side, but she was also a lot of fun, she was at times like a fire cracker, that you're waiting to go off, uncertain about how much havoc she will cause in her wake.

Sophie Kinsella has again lived up to her reputation for managing to create swoony businessmen there was Jack from Can You Keep a Secret(yes he was older but I was always thought of him as a bit like George Clooney). Luke from the Shopaholic series (my absolute favourite) and now Sam. Sam was often closed off and aloof, but when he did come out of his shell, he was passionate, fiery and just straight to the point and that's what I liked about him, he didn't beat around the bush or scuttle around in circles like Magnus, if he wanted to say something he would say it.

I've Got Your Number was a charming story but also quite predictable, I knew how the story would turn out but that's also the great thing about Sophie Kinsella's books. Despite being predictable, the humour and the characters sneak their way into your heart and that before you know it, you can't stop reading.

The added extra of footnotes in this book, at first I didn't actually get and several times I completely missed them until I got to the bottom of the page and realised they were there. But they definitely brought an interesting aspect to the story and brought more humour to the book.

I've got your number was a funny enjoyable read which nicely satisfied my long overdue Sophie Kinsella fix. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for another one of her books to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
It has been years since I read a book and found myself laughing hysterically out loud at the story (I got some odd looks on the tube!). Yes, it's a little predictable and is in places similar to other stories she's written, but I didn't care. This is still a lovely story and a very, very funny book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new book, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Kindle Edition)
If you like SK other books you'll love what's your number, it's fast and funny

Hope this can turn into another series of books, as Poppy and Sam are great characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious English wit and romance - fun fun fun!, 1 Nov 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
I just love Sophie Kinsella, her writing skills are just divine. Her stories come to life off the page and all her characters in this book jump out and engage with the reader. I love Sam (well who wouldn't) and I love Poppys outlook, I love the way she wants everyone to be happy and the texting scenes had me in stitches along with a few other comical moments. I love laugh out loud books and even that embarressed feeling you get when you have just laughed loudly into the quiet and then can't wipe the smirk off your face as you try to read on, Sophie delivers those moments in glorious form and that and her great storylines make her books so effortless to read and totally unputdownable.

I've Got Your Number