5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing!
Published on 8 Dec 2005 by Dave Lynch

3.0 out of 5 stars My second Ninth Doctor book
Having been so thrilled by The Clockwise Man I got straight into reading this book. For a while I was really disappointed, then about halfway through it became exciting and I'm pleased I hung on in there.
Published on 6 Mar 2011 by Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing!, 8 Dec 2005
Ignore the synopsis on the back cover of this book. It makes the story sound very unlikely and as if the deliberate suspension of disbelief would take a monumental effort. Surprisingly, it doesn't and the result is a wonderfully challenging story with great character writing for the Doctor et al. The subject is dealt with imaginatively whilst sustaining great credibility and some real old style DW horror regarding the mystery around some of the characters. Any of the other Doctors would have slipped rihgt in to this story in the 9th Doctor's place and the reader would not be shortchanged. My only whinge about this or any of the other new DW books (except for one) is that they are too short. This was one of the books that I couldn't put down when I started it, so I finished it the day I bought it... boo hoo!

5.0 out of 5 stars stealer of dreams, 2 July 2012
Doctor Who - The Stealers of Dreams (New Series Adventure 6)

excellant! brilliant book !!
a must whether you are a Who fan or not & an adult or not!!

3.0 out of 5 stars My second Ninth Doctor book, 6 Mar 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and enjoyable, 9 Jun 2009
Mr. M. Jones "Jonesmz" (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
A sharp, quick adventure with swift scenes and a gaggle of interesting characters. High point was the battle at the end - tense, realistic and dangerous, and the general idea of the book, which is a good solid sci-fi idea, with a nicely detailed society as a background. The bad points are that the Doctor and companions didn't seem to come over as strong and unified as other books, and I would've liked more of the monsters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite steal my heart, 25 Feb 2006
Despite the refreshing enthusiasm of the previous reviewer I have to admit to finding this the least enjoyable of the 4 original Ninth Doctor novels I have read so far.
The premise is intriguing but little more than a spin on the standard sci-fi theme of a repressed society; this time a society where fiction is anathema.
The Doctor Rose and Captain Jack become embroiled in the rebels' ('Geeks' as they are known) attempts to beat the system and the story cracks along at a good pace. The main problem is that there isn't really much for the Doctor to do and we don't see any more of this regeneration's persona than we do on TV.
To some degree this is understandable; these books are not aimed at adults or even older teenagers however it would be good to see a greater emphasis on The Doctor and his attempts to fight injustice and less on his companions.
I did like the way the story ended; a refreshing twist lifted it out of the ordinary but the less we see of 'Captain' Jack the better - leave him to TORCHWOOD...

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who The Stealers of Dreams, 15 April 2013
In the far future, the Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack find a world on which fiction has been outlawed. A world where it's a crime to tell stories, a crime to lie, a crime to hope, and a crime to dream. But now somebody is challenging the status quo. A pirate TV station urges people to fight back. And the Doctor wants to help until he sees how easily dreams can turn into nightmares. With one of his companions stalked by shadows and the other committed to an asylum, the Doctor is forced to admit that fiction can be dangerous after all. Though perhaps it is not as deadly as the truth.

Featuring the Ninth Doctor as played by Christopher Eccleston, together with Rose and Captain Jack as played by Billie Piper and John Barrowman in the hit Doctor Who series from BBC Television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story (and that is the truth)!, 29 Jun 2008
I have been a little disappointed with the earlier 9th Doctor novels, however this is the first to be of a quality and complexity to rival the previously released (and on average vastly superior) Virgin New Adventure and BBC 8th Doctor series.

The story deals with some very complex issues around truth and fiction while capturing the disparate personalities of the Doctor and his companions, especially Captain Jack - who didn't have any where near enough screen time with the Doctor.

The ending is particularly satisfying, veering away from the overused cliché of baddie blows themselves up. The identity of Hal caught me off guard (but I won't spoil it).

ARRAY(0xaa1baf9c)