Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 3 June 2013
I missed national service as most people alive today did, however I did join up as a real boy soldier at 15yrs old way back in 1964 and the slmilarities are remarkable I can see old colleagues who fit the characters in the book. Seems a funny book now but it wasn't a funny experience at the time I went on to stay in the Army for a total of 16 years and looking back it was as they say best time of my life
on 8 November 2011
It doesn't matter that I didn't do National Service, or that I have never served in the forces, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Recommended to me a while ago and now I've finally got around to reading it - I laughed, I cried, I absolutely loved it! Brilliant writing, witty, intelligent, gritty yet heart warming.
New author I believe? Can't want for the sequel!!
RECOMMEND, RECOMMEND, RECOMMEND!!!
on 29 September 2012
I selected this book as the title gave me the impression that it would be about Boy Soldiers such as Junior leaders or Apprentices. In fact the book dealt with the National Servicemen who were conscripted into the Army. Even so it was an excellent read and bought out the Army humour, discipline and harsh treatment experienced by these young men.
on 13 March 2013
A well written story of six men drafted into the Royal Artillery for their National Service. The novel reinforces the fact it is the NCO`s who run the Army, and the officers think they do. The six are from all walks of life, from all around the UK. The book lists the disasters they have in basic training, but there is a happy end. Good book.
on 16 March 2013
Not bad,part novel,part factual I felt,and not exactly boy soldier stuff. Yes I was at Beachley as a boy soldier in the 1960s,worse 3 years I ever experienced ,knocked anything "loyal" out of me,I positively hated the army after that.
Yes all the characters there that made it all into life akin to being in a mental institution
on 24 August 2012
When I bought this book I thought it was a true account but I think it is a work of fiction based on what used to be a national requirement for all fit young men. It is a very interesting and funny book which I really enjoyed reading despite at times, being a little unbelievable. The end came all too quickly. Highly recommended.
on 11 August 2013
I served in Boys Battery at Cambridge barracks, Woolwich at the same time as the author and his recollections bear no relation to the truth. Just one example, he tells of suspending someones bed out of the window five stories up, difficult to do when the barrack block consisted of two floors!!
on 13 December 2014
This book is pure fiction. Gravesend 6men in a billet. Nco,s punching squaddies never ever happened. Or swearing at the men.i was in Krrrc 2nd 60th light infantry. 1956 to 1958. National service. I wonder what the other reveiws say? Bullying yes but no violence
on 8 January 2014
Did my initial training at catterick did not know what hit u . January 1958 coldest place on earth vimy lines royal signals could have been very much same as book sadistic corporals and sergeants and officers absolute prats
on 23 May 2013
I was a National Serviceman and never came across the bullying shown in this book,or the incompetent officers and NCOs.Nevertheless quite funny at times.I think this is fiction rather than fact.