‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the last word in build quality but wow they sound good, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Westone 4 R-Series Ultra High-Performance Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
I got these to replace my Shure 535SEs which I brilliantly left on a plane coming back from Tenerife.

I have always liked Shure products but thought I would try something else on this occasion and having spent a lot of time reading reviews I plumped for the Westone 4 R Series.

As always with Amazon (my experience only) the Westones arrived promptly and I was eager to see what all the fuss was about. Straight out of the box I have to admit to a genuine sense of disappointment. Packaging was not of a quality I was expecting; and the headphones themselves could in no way be described as bearing any semblance to be being a near £400 product in terms of touch and feel. Shiny plastic and thin (albeit detachable) cabling gives little clue to what you are about to experience; think American car interiors and you get the idea.

However panic not. These are great IEMs. The best sounding monitors I have ever had. The 535s were brilliant but the Westones definitely provide a clearer and in my opinion a wider sound stage. Look beyond the packaging, the cheap case (I mean really cheap and nasty) and rather thin cabling and you will love these. Just remember to take them with you when you disembark.

This is a 5* star product without question; I just like my things to look and feel as good as they sound (and cost) and I have therefore deducted a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Clarity and Balance, 21 Jun. 2013
Geoffrey Bridge "Geoffoboe" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
These in ear phones are the best I have heard. They are balanced without predominance of any frequency over another.
Not for extreme bass freeks though. Look elsewhere if that is your cup of tea!
It is the musicality of the performances that comes through especially for classical music. Jazz too is involving and full of ping and projection. Really good phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 30 Jan. 2012
Rachael Bond (United Kingdon) - See all my reviews
These IEMs are so good that I really wish I could swear. Seriously.

I didn't think that any earphones could be worth this sort of money, but trust me they are! As someone said in another review: "This is what credit cards were made for". The soundstage is remarkable, the bass is deep and punchy and you can hear elements of music that you never knew were there. The entire tonal range is very well balanced.

It's also nice that Westone have finally released a version of the 4 with a detachable cable.

If there is a problem with these earphones it is that, since they are so close to reference quality, they are rather unforgiving of badly encoded mp3s. They *will* make you painfully aware of every recording, mastering, encoding and amplification defect - even some downloads from Amazon at 256kbps can start to sound dodgy (the download of "Drama y Luz" by Maná sounds particularly horrendous). But now that I've had these for about a month, I wouldn't change them for the world.

If you're wondering about these compared to the SE535s, there is no contest: the Westone 4R wins hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled I made the investment, 24 April 2012
The thing about buying in ear head phones is that you have to trust reviews and take a leap of faith, as there aren't many places where you can test them before purchasing. I have always bought mid cost headphones in the past such as Monster Turbine Coppers, Klipsch x10i and Shure 315s. So the psychological jump to paying £380 was a big one and I wanted to be sure the experience was significantly better.

As you can see I have owned many headphones and the that is because the cable keeps breaking, rendering the headphones useless. For this reason I had decided that a detachable cable was a must and had limited my choices to the Shure 535s or the Westones. I cannot give you a head to head comparison and the other reviews below do that well. What I can say is the Westones are a revelation.

I have listened to a varity of music: Pink Floyd, Beethoven, Kraftwork, Deadmaus5 (don't judge me). The separation and sound stage are phenomenal you can pick up instruments and even background noises you have never noticed before. The phones work extremely well on a standard iPod Nano, but I also invested in a Fiio e17 DAC headphone amplifier FiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier with USB Digital Audio Converter (DAC) which adds an extra level of 'solidity' to the sound.

Bottom line is that the Westones have changed every song in my music collection to a new experience and I would highly recommend the investment to anyone. My Westones have replaced my 1000s of pounds worth of hi-fi equipment as my preferred method of listening to music at home as well as on the move.

Final tip is from a review I read on line. If you do buy the Westones, cutting down the three tier silicon ear bud to two tiers gives incredibles precision to the sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit & cable. Balanced, but veiled sound, 4 Dec. 2013
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.*

The Westone 4Rs fit my ears better than any other earphones. With good tips, like Shure's Grey Flex or `Olive' tips, they feel snug without causing any discomfort. The nozzles on the 4R are shorter than that of Shure SE535 so the sound isolation isn't quite as good, though they still do a reasonable job of blocking out external noise. As explained in the user manual, pulling your ears up and back helps to get a deeper fit when inserting.

The excellent cable is a sensible length (unlike the too-long Shure's), tends not to tangle and has a short plastic `memory wire', which keeps the Westones in place. The cable attaches to the earpiece with a two-pin connector, which is a less fiddly solution than the swivel connectors of Logitech's UE 900 or Shure's SE535.

The Westone 4Rs are warm tonally. I find their sound fairly balanced, with no frequency standing out above the others. The imaging is amazing too; there is a 3D quality that I've seldom heard from other earphones, though this only becomes apparent when the volume is quite loud.

I wanted to like these earphones, I really did. I ultimately sold them because they sound slightly veiled to me, as if the sound passes through a piece of material on its way from the drivers to my ears. I sensed a loss of sparkle and detail that I just couldn't get past. I wouldn't go as far as calling the sound muddy or cluttered, there just didn't seem enough `air' surrounding the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Chewed Replacement, 9 May 2013
Already had the Westone 3...forced replacement following cat action ...4 great improvement on the 3 ....also wires replaceable on 4 if cat repeats chewing exercise...

5.0 out of 5 stars Weston R's superb, 15 Dec. 2012
I don't really do reviews it takes a lot for me to bother to fill one of these babies in. The Weston R's are simply incredible. I'm not a hi-fi geek whenever I read reviews they are always arguing about soundstage, bass, high ends blah,blah,blah.

So what can I say that will help you with this product?

First things first, make sure you try every bud supplied to get a good seal in your ear. This is critical to the quality of the music you will hear. The first buds I used I was scared I'd made a bad choice, but on choosing the large mushroom buds I realised I'd made the right one. Little tip for some when you are placing the bud in the ear pull the top of your ear toward the sky it will straighten out the ear Canal and allow a really good seal for the appropriate bud.

The sound quality is stunning, you'll hear instruments never heard before it lets you fall in love with your favourite music all over again. Those who worry about base don't, with the right ear seal base is plentiful and not over powering the rest of the production.

You pay for what you get. The only way they could improve these is to offer a custom fit service for the ear buds. I love my music even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Amazing!, 9 Nov. 2013
A. K. Arya "Ashok" (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
My original intention was to purchase the Shure SE535. While reviewing the option on Amazon I glanced the reviews on Westone 4R and became intrigued and then finally purchased purely based on the reviews I read!

My initial reaction is the sound staging and spatiality of the earphones is astounding. The bass is low key but it is there in proportion to music you are listening to.

Initially earphones are fiddly to fit but once done its fine. For an audiophile, these are a must own. I have heard parts of music I have not heard before.

I wholeheartedly recommend them and thank the other reviewers for guiding me to purchase the Westone 4R's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as it gets !, 18 Mar. 2013
I have had many pairs of in-ear headphones over the years (and they all break at some time) and decided this time round to go for the best I could get. These are unbelievable !
Sound stage is excellent and general output is just amazing.
I'll use one example only. On one live recording I can now hear where on the drum skin the drummer is hitting i.e. the centre or the edge. My listening has gone to a new level ...... and with the many and varied buds supplied you can always find ones that are comfortable.
VERY highly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Current Benchmark, 2 Mar. 2012
J. Highton "Jonboy" (UK) - See all my reviews
For my portable rig,iPod Classic,Lossless files and iBasso PB2 Headphone amp, I need
top class earphones.
To date my favorite has been the Shure SE 535 which continue to be pretty darn good.
However having purchased the Westone 4R I have to say, for me, they beat the Shure for all
round quality.
My musical tastes are broad, from Sonic Youth to John Coltrane with diversions down the
Americana route.So far nothing has sounded anything less than superb with the Westone.

Caveats?
You really need lossless files, heck ripping to lossless in the first place rather than
mp3 gives you a great start before you go down this expensive path to sonic nirvana.

Thoroughly recommended.