4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for beginners

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the 7681 instead
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by S

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for beginners, 9 May 2013
elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Braun Silk-épil 7 7891 Wet and Dry Cordless Dual Epilator with Gillette Venus Technology and four Attachments (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using an epilator for yonks, and I'm very happy with it. This new one is posher than my usual Remington, so I was pleased to try it out. This morning I decided at the last minute to wear a dress, and it was great to be able to run this over my legs (well, just the knees- I was wearing long boots). It only took a couple of minutes. It's so much more convenient than having to lather up and shave my legs. So- epilators. Yay!

Upon trying out this new one, I was surprised to find that it was a fair bit more ouchy than my usual. There are two speeds of epilation. On both speeds it feels quite vigorous and appears to catch more hairs at once. The pinching sensation is more intense than with some other epilators and even though I am experienced, I had some redness and itching after the first couple of uses. I would not recommend this epilator for a beginner, but it does feel pretty effective if you are more experienced.

Like all human beings I am sometimes an idiot, so despite the warnings in the instructions, I left this by the side of the bath without the safety guard over the razor head. It is indeed very sharp, and when tidying up later, I sliced a nice chunk out of my thumb. Please try to avoid that! The razor head is a bit of an odd addition to a depilator, really. I guess they are trying to bridge the gap between shaving and epilating, making it more appealing to newcomers (though see my point on that above). Obviously you can only use the razor head in the bath or shower, and it has a single, quite sturdy thick blade that is meant to catch the hairs you miss with the tweezers, thus making epilation quicker. Maybe it does- and it exfoliates the skin too, which is useful- but I hadn't felt the need for a halfway house between shaving and epilation. I think I will use the razor head now and again, but I'm fine with the standard head, really.

I had never used an epilator in the bath before because my Remington doesn't allow it. Trying to use the razor head in the bath is a bit awkward, due to angles and due to the foam rinsing off, so I would recommend saving that for the shower. But using the standard head underwater reduces the pinching sensation considerably. It churns the water as it spins, sending up tiny bubbles which tickle against your skin. This is not unpleasant. In this way, the epilator is easy to clean, too: just turn it on while dunking it in the bath or sink. A brief mention of the little light- it doesn't seem to make much odds, unless you're epilating in a darkened room for some reason. But it doesn't get in the way.

There is a smaller head designed for use on delicate downstairs areas. I'm not brave enough to give that a go, but I had used the mini head on my Remington for my upper lip. I don't know that I would want to use this Braun for such things, as I said above: it isn't really suitable for sensitive skin. I will continue to use my Remington on my upper lip. Oh, and I forgot to mention the plug: this only comes with a 2 pin shaver style plug. Luckily I already had an adaptor so I can plug it into a normal wall socket, but keep this in mind or you may not be able to charge it when you get it home.

So while this epilator is effective and I will keep using it, I have some reservations and I think the razor head and the light are unnecessary gimmicks. But then isn't that what modern Western consumerism is all about?

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the 7681 instead, 12 Jan. 2013
I deliberated between this and Braun Silk-épil Xpressive Pro 7681 Wet & Dry Rechargeable Epilator and chose this based on its (over hyped) Gillette Venus Technology. Big mistake... despite the 7891 being the supposedly "newer" model, it doesn't have as many attachments as the 7681, and nor is it expected to last as long - usage time for the 7981 is quoted as up to 30 minutes, whereas up to 40 minutes is quoted for the 7681, both from an hour's charge.

The epilator itself is very effective and relatively painless, though this of course is dependent on your pain threshold and hair thickness. Being rather accustomed to the epilation process, however, it was a seamless upgrade from my old Panasonic. Submerging the main unit in water will significantly reduce the noise level if you're concerned about it.

I found the "Gillette Venus Technology" smoothing cap a gimmick; in my opinion you're much better off buying a separate (and better) razor if you want to remove any leftover hairs after epilation. By keeping the unit turned off, it can be used as a shaver only, but this seems a little pointless as you're then effectively paying over £60 for a dual blade razor. In addition, it is recommended that you replace the smoothing cap every 6 months, which only adds to the expense. At the time of writing, this information is not provided by Amazon, and I only discovered when I received the item.

Attachment heads with the 7891:
Sensitive area cap
Efficiency cap
Smoothing cap with Gillette Venus technology (razor blades attached to epilator head)

Attachments heads with the 7681:
Sensitive area cap
Efficiency cap
Shaver head
Trimmer cap (attached to shaver head)
Facial cap
Plus a cap with massaging rollers, which comes attached to the epilator by default

It is possible to purchase 7891's lacking accessories from one of Braun's authorised stockists (check the official website), however, expect to fork out around £30 for the shaver head alone. The 7891 comes with a charging stand which, while handy, isn't worthy of consideration over the 7681's extra shaver head, trimmer cap, massaging rollers and facial cap. The anti slip grip isn't that useful either, and if anything causes extra hassle as you have to remove it after each wet use to allow it to dry. Both the charging stand and anti slip grip could be purchased separately if you so wished.

I fail to understand how and why the 7891 can have a higher RRP than its predecessor; does Braun really expect to be able to charge more for simply sticking razor blades on top of an epilator head and labelling it as an innovation? If you check the replacement parts section on their website, you'll discover that the smoothing cap is actually compatible with the 7681, thus turning it into a "dual epilator".

Unless there's some major detail I've overlooked, it's a no brainer that you should purchase the 7681 instead of 7891. The only thing I prefer about the 7891 is the turquoise colour on the front, but I'm pretty sure that's something I could live without.

NOTE - this comes with a 2 pin plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real review (after having it for 9 months), 11 Jun. 2013
This product is amazing!

I don't like shaving because my hair grows back very very quickly, like the day after. So I wanted to find something that literally leaves me feeling smoother for longer. This epilator does that and more.

Firstly, do not get this if you have a low pain threshold. On the legs it's not so bad, the thighs hurt and the first time I used it my muscles were shaking due to the sensation.

However, the pain gets less and less each time you use it.

As for the arm pits, ouch. They hurt like hell and I can only use it for very short bursts there, or I have to bite something until its over. The only reason I put myself through that pain is that the smoothness afterwards is incredible. My pits are left completely smooth and white, no stubble colour or anything.

The best part is, once epilated, my skin stays smooth for a whole two weeks before any hairs start coming through, and even then it is soft like baby down. Which has meant no more hard horrible stubble.

My hair is light brown so i'm not sure if it works for black haired people the same.

Just to note, it takes a while to do because you have to move slowly to make sure all the individual hairs are being pulled up. If you use the shaver head you can go faster, it just means you have to do it more regularly to pick up the hairs that grow back quickly due to being shaved rather than pulled out.

This product is my favorite by far and it is incredibly cheap in the long run. I don't use the shaving cap so no need for any replacements. The pain is bearable and the benefits are so much better than shaving. It takes longer but you don't have to do it often, so overall you're actually saving time.

Hope this review helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great epilator, 26 April 2013
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price, this is a great epilator.

It has mutiple heads, which are easy to change and the desgin of each of them has meant that there has been no nicks or cuts when using it. In terms of cleaning, there are two options: a wet way or dry way. For the wet way, you simply remove thethat comes with the product. It also holds its charge well too.

The box does say that maximum effect will take place after 4 uses, and this is certainly true. At first I was not that impressed with the results, but having stuck with it and used up to ten times already, I can certainly say that the performance does indeed improve (and the pain felt when epliating subsides too!!)

All in all a good product and well worth getting!

5.0 out of 5 stars braun silk epil, 5 Jun. 2013
i brought this product not really sure if this was just another form of elec razer.cos i used to go to the salon to have a waxing.but i thought well ill give it a goi was so amazed at how this worked it is really amazing,it has all ready paid for itself already i only shave once a week now,and hardly any hair there now im so happy i brought this its just great,i love it.i would recomend this product to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!, 20 Aug. 2013
K. Short "Fluttershy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(Long review coming up, apologies!)
I've always shaved and have recently got fed up of spending 15 minutes shaving my legs to then have the hair grow back the very next day *sigh*

I decided to try waxing first, but the results weren't as great as what i was hoping for :/
To put it bluntly - the waxer missed a lot of hairs and 3 days after my wax i had to reshave, so a waste of money all round i think.

About to lose the plot, i was recommended epilation.
I can remember my mother having an epilator when i was younger but she never used it as apparently it hurt so much!

I was sceptical about buying this product due to the price (okay, the price could be worse, but still) and the pain of using it, but after reading a lot of gleaming reviews on it, i caved in and bought one.

Pro's -

The design looks lovely, i always leave the non slip grip on as it makes the epilator look so fashionable and girly, you definitely couldn't mistake this for a mans shaver.

Epilation really doesnt hurt as much as some people let on, it is very uncomfortable at first, but your skin quickly adjusts to it :)

The results really do last, i'm amazed that i first used this product a week ago tomorrow and my legs still look hair free!

Cons -

How long it takes to use when NOT using the razor head alongside it, i personally do not see the point in the razor, yes it must make epilating a hell of a lot quicker, but it means that after 1 day you'll have certain area's of hair that are growing back and certain area's that aren't?

Charge life.
The epilator can run for about 1 hour before needing to be recharged, this would be okay i guess if you were using the razor head too, but like i said above, i wouldnt bother with it.
The charge just doesnt last long enough, as if you want to make sure you get every single hair, you're looking at spending approximately 45 minutes on each leg (from ankle to top of thigh), so you need to stop and recharge the epilator before starting the next leg.

How much of a lie the whole 'able to catch any hair, even ones that are only 0.5mm long'.
That is rubbish, 0.5mm is literally about the size of a grain of sand.
This machine does not pick those hairs up at all.
It DOES work on short hairs! (Shortest being about 2mm) Just not hairs as short as 0.5mm.
However this was not a problem for me, as if you have hairs that are growing through that are only 0.5mm long, you wouldnt be able to see them, so you can still wear skirts and dresses.

All in all, a good item.
There are some things that i personally would like to see improved in in the next Braun Epilator, but this will do for now :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth operator, 13 May 2013
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Her indoors reviewed this. To make it legible, I wrote down what she said, so any blame is on her shoulders.

I would have liked to have given this an in depth review but one thing stopped me, more of which later. The first thing to notice when you turn it on is the blinding light above the on/off dial. Used to help you see better, don't look directly at this or you'll burn your retinas. (There's also a green charging light at the bottom.) Coming with a `smoothing' cap for wet use, which incorporates a two-blade razor, an epilator cap, and a sensitive epilator cap for those delicate areas, you can use any of these three on two speed settings, though to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference. I even used this whilst in the bath, as it's waterproof. The `smoothing' head tilts up, or is it down, when you turn it on.

Yes it works, and yes it gave me nice smooth legs (the silk scarf did slide all the way down), but I couldn't try the other two options how ever much I wanted to. Why? Here's the issue with this. I needed to recharge it but couldn't, as it comes with a European plug! What's all that about? Is Braun seriously suggesting that someone spends this sort of money on an epilator then have to buy an adaptor in order to use it? Not everyone has a shaving socket in their bathroom. If they are, shame on them.

Mind you, it looks good, is easy to hold and would appear easy to clean. Changing the heads involves pulling one off and pushing on another. Is it worth getting? If you have access to a two-pin socket (or an adaptor) then it's worth considering. Okay, it's expensive (at the time of writing) and I'll have to hunt down an adaptor but I know it's worthwhile. If you don't mind the building site wolf whistles as you show off your silky smooth pins, this is for you. (Whether you show off your other smooth parts is something else altogether.)

Despite not being able to use this fully because of the EU plug, I'm sure the other options will work just as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun is Braun, 9 April 2014
Braun delivers a good product that does the job of hair removal. We had a previous Silk-epil which was on the blink after 2 years so we upgraded. She is well happy so am I smooth sexy legs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - my first Epilator and i'm a convert!, 4 April 2014
I really like the control I have using an Epilator and the pennies I am saving by not having waxing all the time - its good being in control and being able to have a tidy-up as and when necessary

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, 12 Mar. 2014
I have already used an epilator but really was impressed with this item I think the light is a great and really useful for spotting stray hairs love this product