5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Clip On Tuner
I finally decided to buy a clip on tuner as I have a few acoustic guitars including a 12 string that don't have built in tuners like the more modern electro-acoustics.
This tuner works extremely well as far as tuning is concerned.I've checked the readings on an electric guitar plugged into my Line6 Podfarm and the readings coincide on every string.
As it is a...
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by Basil Dazzle

I now have four Snark tuners of different types (one for each guitar case). They are superb and incredibly accurate. Also, the batteries don't fly out of them as can happen with a couple of other electronic tuners.

First - a couple of negatives
Published on 10 July 2012 by A. J. Sturgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Works with ANY stringed instrument - product photo on this page is wrong., 10 July 2012
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

First - a couple of negatives
(1) The product photo on the Amazon page is wrong. It shows a tuner with the 'swingometer' style display. The tuners I received had a different 'bar style' display. (See my photo). This ISN'T as precise as the more usual display system that Snark tuners use because the gradations are broader and fine tuning is more fiddly. It does work well but this system definitely isn't as good as the more usual one. I like this tuner, but only use it as a backup in case my other Snarks fail. (This hasn't happened yet, but it pays to be more safe than sorry). Because the tuner is aimed at ukelele players, this is no reason to downgrade the display system .... especially as guitars are mentioned on the official packaging as suitable instruments for use with this tuner.

(2) As with all Snarks, the display head is mounted onto the clip by means of a curved stalk - so careful handling and storage are essential. Having said that, I've never had any problems whereas a couple of other swivel-head tuners disassembled themselves after a few months.

Now the positives:
Snark Qwik Tune tuners are stylish, eye-catching, accurate, easy to use, very well made and have easy-to-read displays. They're a bit more expensive than some other tuners, but are far more robust and well worth that bit extra. (Note that different Snark models have different added functions such as silent metronomes and/or microphone tuning capabilties). The model advertised here has a silent metronome function in the form of a red beating heart icon for which you can set your own tempo.
The standard battery is held securely inside a slide-in case and as yet I've never had any battery fly out either during storage or when playing.

So - as far as electronic tuners are concerned - Snarks are nigh-on unbeatable. Just search through the various models to find the one whose added functions suit you best. Personally, I would recommend other models in the range simply because the bar style display isn't as useful as the more usual 'swingometer'.

Two final tips -
(1) Don't just choose one whose case is coloured just because you like that colour - the blue and red models each offer different added functions.
(2) To re-emphasise a point I've already made ... ALL Snarks work on ALL types of musical instrument, so for the item advertised here, the 'Ukelele' tag is both inaccurate and irrelevant. Any Snark will work with a ukelele or guitar or violin or viola or Pomeranian Pluckplunger or .....

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Clip On Tuner, 13 Jan 2011
As it is a chromatic tuner it is also extremely useful when using alternate tunings or a capo.
I no longer have to silence every other noise in the room when tuning as the tuner works by sensing the vibration of the string through the headstock.If required the built in mic can be used instead.It is slightly fiddly to clip onto my Ovations due to the shape of the headstock but a secure clipping point can be found with a little experimentation.This may be more of a problem on other guitars with unconventional headstock designs but this would probably be the case with most clip on tuners.
The design is a refreshing change from the more common rectangular/square designs of most of the competition and the build quality including the clip mechanism appears to be excellent.
I will add a further comment at a later date concerning the battery life as I've only been using the tuner for 4 days at the time of writing this review.I'll be using the tuner nearly everday so I'll soon find out how long the supplied battery lasts for.When it expires it will be fitted with a Duracell so I'll be able to do a comparison between the two.
A definite 5 star product!

14 MAY 2011 Update on battery life:
4 months of use (approx 20 mins a day on average) and the original battery is still going strong showing 3.1 volts on my voltage meter.

10 JUNE 2012:
Original battery has finally expired.The display started to dim but the tuner still functioned albeit difficult to see.Showing 2.7 volts when replaced with a new Duracell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Uke Tuner, 22 Sep 2011
Had seen various tuners being used in our local Uke club (UkeJam @ Godalming). I'm a noob to Uke's but quickly realised that new one's go out of tune really quickly, so a tuner is essential. This one looks really stylish and has a really clear display and really simple way of working. They do other models with different functions, but this one is the SN6 version, designed especially to tune just Uke's. Very easy to work out how it works, clip onto the head, turn it on and pluck a sting. Its display indicates to tune up or down and tells you the note being played. This is also really useful for us noobs as you can play a chord - and usually it will display the chord note you are playing.

I've just bought a 2nd one for my partner - as we keep having to swap between our uke's. Really good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but may not arrive with batteries, 16 Jun 2011
Amazon Customer (New Romney, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My tuner came without a battery and I had to go out and buy one. So be warned that you may require a CR2032 battery to power this device.

Edit (June 2012): It seems that I may have been unlucky since other purchasers appear to have received batteries with their tuner. Still, at least you know which battery to get if you are also unlucky. Don't be put off, though, as this is still the best guitar tuner I have used (and it works for tuning my harp too!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 17 Sep 2011
Bought one of these about 5 months ago and I have been very pleased.

Clear display, red is flat, yellow is sharp and green is tuned!
The clear bright display makes tuning easy.
Seems very accurate (though I'm not sure how accuracy is measured) and unlike my Korg clip on it doesn't require me to mute strings I'm not tuning. (The Korg seems to get a bit over excited by the harmonics)

Works well on my Ukes and my banjo.

Still using the original battery.

I've tried three clip-on tuners and of those three this is the one I'd buy again.

Edit:
No indication of battery failure other than it stops responding to higher notes!
Just beware, still super gizmo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bset clip on yet!, 13 Dec 2010
My trusty Intellitouch PT1 suffered from a fractured hinge joint [a known weak spot] that couldn't be replaced or repaired so I started to look round for a replacement and decided to give the Snark a try. This device really does live up to its claims. Attachment is secure, tuning response is very quick and the display is clear and ergonomic in the way that it is easy to read. The Intellitouch could never reliably lock on to the notes quickly enough to track a note as you tune it - this meant that tuning was a multi step process - pluck, check, tune, pluck, check, tune etc until the arrows matched. With the Snark I get a real sense of where the tuning is - not just high or low and can see the note come into tune on the display as I turn the tuning key. For slight out of tune situations the whole process is very quick - pluck, tune, done! Highly recommended, although I expect I'll be changing batteries more often than the once every 5 years that the Intellitouch required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, so, so easy, 28 Nov 2011
Love this tuner! Clip and switch on, tune, all done ! Strong clip, Easy read display and pivot arm means you can tune with totalconfidence !

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain!, 22 Jun 2011
Brilliant. Robust. Colourful so can easy to find. Bright display. Accurate tuning of 6 string, 12 string, mandolin and tenor banjo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gismo, 18 Sep 2011
Mrs. M. M. Gee "Maggie in Marske" (N.E. England, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used tuners since they were the size of a brick and needed total silence around me to achieve the desired effect. Until recently I used one which shall remain nameless, but looked like a wing mirror on my guitar head. Somebody went home with my tuner in his pocket so I needed a replacement, and was recommended the Snark by a good friend. What a good friend he is !!! This is the most "all singing, all dancing" little thing - looks like a Darlek, but has so much built into it that you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a Tardis !! How they fit into a unit this size a very fine tuner, a metronome, battery monitor, facility to tune to a fixed instrument (i.e. a piano), back-light, and much more that I haven't found yet, baffles me. But that is probably why I need a tuner in the first place.!! If you are looking for an electronic tuner you can't go past this one, and its not the most expensive on the market either !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Flexible Tuner, 4 Nov 2010
JJ MULLINS "JJM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have one of these nice looking (slightly more funky than most others) tuner for my banjos and guitars. Will probably buy more.

They are flexible enough to be mounted almost anywhere with nice padded feet and a double ball joint mount that swivels all ways.

Go buy.

-- As an update, I now have one on each instrument - 4 in total. They live on the headstocks.