on 18 February 2013
Another fantastic book from Mark Horrell,
As Mallory is my hero I devoured every page, I can envisage every step Mallory took with Mark's facinating discriptions, The photo's make it all so close and you can really feel you are out on thoe's Majastic Mountains with him,
This was a deeply moving book also, It is not hard to imagin the hardship and frustration Mallory must have gone through to summit his beloved Everest ,,, and to me he always made it,
A well reserched and another spellbinding book about the beautiful and tantalizing Everest,
Always special as Mark's humur and humility always shines through, Great, Shelagh
on 3 May 2013
for any body interested in everest and particularly in mallory , not your usual mountaineering book but still very interesting.
on 12 June 2012
This is the first of the Footsteps on the Mountain seies that I have read and I found it fun and entertaining. Because of it I have now downloaded a few more of Mark Horrells tales. Nice and short with detail and moments of laughter.
on 20 April 2016
Being an avid reader of mountaineering stories I enjoyed this account of a former hill walker who has progressed to Everest, because he gives you a hill walker's perspective, he does not seem to possess the mountaineer's mentality which you usually get. Seasoned mountaineers seem to take trifles like losing fingers to frostbite, or bivuacing on tiny ledges while they run out of food and water in their stride, but Mark seems to have a streak of caution running through him which I know I would have in the same situations. I don't know whether I was being rather mean only giving the book three stars because I would definitely read other books by him.
on 24 January 2013
This got recommended, completely randomly as far as I can work out, by Amazon, and for 73p I thought it was worth a punt. Brilliantly honest, compelling, quick read and as usual a fascinating insight into commercial mountaineering. Each of Mark Horrells books are not only compelling enough to read in a day, but also short enough to read in a day. Read the chomolonga diaries after this!
on 17 February 2013
Mark Horrell writes in a refreshing down to earth way. He evokes the trials & elations of his trips, making you feel you are with him. A bit of a classic diarist/ travel writer of the old school. Highly recommended.
on 16 February 2013
Really enjoyed this as my first kindle book. Well written concise with some nice photos.
Enjoyed it once they got to the mountains. Looking forward to reading more of the authors books.
on 21 February 2013
I enjoyed this very much. The pictures were very impressive - it was great seeing the climbers progress up to the coll. Probably more enjoyable as the digital medium adds to the experience.
on 9 October 2012
Excellent series of books, a travelogue of wanderings through the Himalayas which is amusing, interesting and inspiring, especially for anyone with a dream of going there themselves.
on 10 November 2012
Interesting chatter and up to date information about treking to Everest which one day i would love to do. places change so much these days, bearing in mind the tourist factor.