on 22 May 2013
Having visited the Ladakh region many times I felt this account of a walk up a trekking peak was a bit thin on incite and atmosphere. It was advertised as a diary so I knew what I was in for but there seemed to be very little interest or interaction with the local people and what it was like to travel in modern Ladakh - it was all about getting up the mountain and going home as far as I could see. Recommended if you are interested in finding out what it feels like to fly into Ladakh, join a trekking group, not speak to any locals, trek up the peak with other foreign visitors and then leave - but if you are looking for anything more then not really worth the read. An example of the depth of interchange between people in the book was when the author asked if one his fellow travellers had read a well known book on Ladakh by Andrew Harvey and what he thought of it - his traveller replied - "I though it was bollocks" and the authors response ' "me too". Why? Discuss? Give up some of your own insights into Ladakh? But none were really forthcoming? For all it's faults Harvey's book at least attempts to convey his feelings of being in Ladakh and some sense of what it is like to travel there. This book did neither. Perhaps an indication of why self publishing might not always be such a great idea.
on 24 September 2012
I have now read all the Himalayan based trekking diaries in the 'Footsteps' series so this one would be slightly different as it was about an Indian trek. Fortunately it follows the winning format from the author and was both funny aswell as informative. For those that are too lazy to get up and see the rest of the world its easy. Mark has done it and can tell you all about it in his diaries. Buy it, actually, but the whole series. I have!
on 22 March 2013
Another first class read from Mark Horrell.
He is such a highly skilled mountainer and yet he tells his story with humour and excitment, , I always feel I an walking along side him as he puts such emphasize on his discriptions, and extraordinary experience's,
He always, always leaves you wanting more,
Brilliant,
Shelagh,
on 20 March 2013
A real contrast to most of the mountaineering books I read - no real triumphs and no disasters, just a gentle analysis of guided treks and the interactions between guides and clients, local people and even their dogs.
I'll be looking out for more in the Footsteps series.
on 8 March 2013
good value for money, well written in a chatty style, In the description it mentioned climbing a trekking peak called Stok Kangri, which was why I purchased the book, but unfortunately this was not covered in the book. A disapointment!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse