4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again
AnkerŪ Astro3 10000mAh Dual 2A/5V USB Output & 9V/12V DC Output External Battery Pack Charger.

Edit Please note this is for the older version, NOT for the new E version (despite what the Amazon page says). Also I corrected my maths, as pointed out by Ms L Atkins. Thanks for that, I missed out some brackets!

So how many times can you charge your...
Published 19 months ago by Ssscrudddy

1.0 out of 5 stars stopped working
After about 10 days from the purchase the device stopped charging... it wouldn't charge itself and couldn't charge anything else.
Published 3 days ago by cat3appr

4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: AnkerŪ Astro 3E 10000mAh Portable High Capacity Dual-Port External Battery Power Bank Backup Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods (Apple adapters not included), Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA, Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Glass, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, LG Optimus, PS Vita, Nook HD+ (30-pin adapter for Nook HD+ not included), GoPro and More (Wireless Phone Accessory)

So how many times can you charge your phone? This battery is 70% efficient (nothing is ever 100%). According to their website (ianker.com) use this formula.

Capacity of the External Battery * 70% / Capacity of the Mobile Phone

So for my phone, HTC One V (1500 mAh battery) - (10,000 * 0.7) / 1500 = 4.66, or 4 full charges from 0% to 100% & 1 more charge from 0% to 66%

In testing I achieved 4 full charges from 0% to 100%, & 1 more charge from 0% to 54% before the Astro 3 was totally flat.

It took 2 1/2 hours to fully charge my phone using the S USB slot. It took 3 hours to fully charge my phone using the I USB slot.
(Using the wall charger that came with my phone, it takes 1 1/2 hours to charge my phone from 0% to 100%)

2 USB slots can charge up to 2A (@5V). USB Slot I is for Apple devices, USB Slot S is for Samsung (read Android) devices. Both slots work for any USB device I have tried that is 5V.
This also has a DC out slot that is switchable between 9V & 12V.

Your device will only draw UP TO the Amps that it is designed for. In other words if your wall charger is 1A 5V, it is ok to use this external battery, your device will only draw 1A. The external battery itself can supply up to 2A depending on your device, just make sure its 5V.

I also tried charging my netbook, an EeePC (1000HE) made by Asus, with an 8400 mAh battery that lasts for around 7 hours. The wall charger for this is 12V 3A. I was a little dubious about this as they say this device is not compatible with Asus tablets.

Anyway after 1 hour of charging, my netbook went from 3% to 32% & had 2 hours 15 mins of time on it. The external battery had 2 LEDs lit up after this, so between 50% & 75% charge left (I suspect just over 50%). The external battery was also rather warm, presumably my netbook was trying to draw 3A. I wasnt willing to try anymore because I didnt want to damage my Astro 3, but it will be ok for an emergency.

4 LEDs on the External battery to indicate how much charge is left. 1 LED 0% to 25%. 2 LEDs 25% to 50%. 3 LEDs 50% to 75%. 4 LEDs 75% to 100%.
This external battery comes with loads of different connectors that should fit most devices.

My phone (HTC One V) is about the same size an an iPhone 4. This external battery is a bit higher, a bit more wider, & twice as thick as my phone. Also considerably heavier. (Other reviews have measured this, I cba)

It arrived quicker than I expected, ordered on 7th Sept, was told estimated despatch of 13th for delivery 18th. It was actually despatched 9th, tried to deliver 12th but was too big for the letter box, & I had to pick it up from the Post Office 13th Sept.

I've added some pics showing the device with my phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel and in the outdoors away from sockets, 3 Mar 2014
Andrew Kerr "Alabony" (Dunfermline, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The battery will fully charge an iPhone 5 between 3 and 4 times over, and the double socket is handy for charging two items at once. It charges quickly, with a great current delivery.

I also discovered something slightly irritating in the States on a trip last year, which is that a standard iPad charger, when plugged into a socket with a US adaptor, doesn't appear to draw enough current to charge it. So the Anker charger came in very handy as I could charge that from a socket, and then charge the iPad from the charger until I could buy a US iPad charger for the rest of the trip. I've probably charged and recharged the Astro 3E about 40 times over so far, with no appreciable loss of performance.

It's everso slightly larger than an iPhone 5 (about the size of a Samsung Galaxy 4, I'd say), slightly thicker, and fairly weighty, but gives a tremendous amount of freedom and flexibility when on the road. Great value for money, and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Portable Charger, 17 Feb 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have several mobile devices and take two to three with me when I travel my iPhone, iPad, and/orkindle. I try to find outlets at airports to plug them in, but so do the rest of the travelers. Each device's battery has a different length of life, my iPad battery runs out more quickly, followed by my iPhone and then my kindle. By carrying all three, I hoped that using them one by one I would have a mobile device for my East to West Coast travels. Now, we have external battery chargers, and they are a life saver.

This zanier battery pack came well packaged, easy to open and encased in a strong plastic case. The battery has an on/off button and also has auto shut off. A blue LED indicates when the battery is turned on. While you are charging your device the LED is on. This battery pack is a very good size, small, light weight, and can be easily placed in a purse or pocket.

This battery charger is ideal for charging a smartphone to a full charge more quickly than others I have used, and my iPad much more slowly. . My iPhone is an older model, and the battery runs out more quickly. I keep this portable power bank with me fully charged to use when my iPhone needs re-charging. This battery uses Lithium Ion battery technology and carries a 10000mAh capacity. I keep this portable power bank in my purse with the charging cable, so that it is convenient for use at any time. The battery pack is white with a green strip on either end, quite attractive. You must provide your own able to fit your mobile devices. Note: I was provided this product to use and review.

Recommended. prisrob 02-17-14

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 4 July 2013
I purchased this for the Glastonbury Featival last week. It charged my iPhone5 5 times and the Anker still had between 25% and 50% charge by the end of the week. Another great feature is the speed it charges your phone, just like its on mains. A must for any festival - especially at this great price

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jun 2013
Used to power a raspberry pi, camera and hard drive packed in a ice cream box.,runs for about 12 hours on a full charge.

1.0 out of 5 stars stopped working, 16 April 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter cr*p, 3 April 2014
Dr. R. Parrott (UK) - See all my reviews
Worked for a month then stopped charging devices. Could not setup return via Amazon as after 30 working days - rang amazon directly to organise a replacement and was told that i) they only fulfil on behalf of anker and ii) could not use standard post or drop-off services because device contains a lithium battery. They stated either to use my own return service (at my cost) or wait in all day for a courier to pick the device up (I work full time, so not an option). Basically, good device when it works otherwise a waste of Ģ25+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performed better than expected!, 3 April 2014
I was skeptical at how many charges I would get out of this and also how long it would take to charge, but I was proven wrong and this product has saved my phones battery life on train journeys home late in the evening. Would recommend to anyone in need of a portable charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars just get one, 2 April 2014
if you use a gadget and it runs out of juice whilst you're on a train or plane then all you have is something to carry and no contact with the outside world/ your music/ your book ... you get the picture. Fully recharges my iPad in 5 hours - whilst I'm using it to watch movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 April 2014
I was told by a friend about this product . And was so pleased . I'm cycling to Ireland and need a back up for my phone so this will be excellent .

ARRAY(0xb56e9bd0)