1,108 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again
AnkerŪ Astro3 10000mAh Dual 2A/5V USB Output & 9V/12V DC Output External Battery Pack Charger.

Edit Please note this is for the older version, NOT for the new E version (despite what the Amazon page says). Also I corrected my maths, as pointed out by Ms L Atkins. Thanks for that, I missed out some brackets!

So how many times can you charge your...
Published 22 months ago by Ssscrudddy

3.0 out of 5 stars False advertising - only 7400 mAh at 5v
This is a good product, it's not bad value for money, and having bought it I intend to keep it.

It's advertised under false pretences though, and here's why:

This charger operates at 5v (because USB power is 5v). But the batteries inside the device are only 3.7v... and there's some booster circuit inside which boosts that voltage up to 5...
Published 17 months ago by tarangere

4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: AnkerŪ 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger with PowerIQTM Technology for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Moto X, PS Vita, Gopro, and other USB-charged devices (Wireless Phone Accessory)

So how many times can you charge your phone? This battery is 70% efficient (nothing is ever 100%). According to their website (ianker.com) use this formula.

Capacity of the External Battery * 70% / Capacity of the Mobile Phone

So for my phone, HTC One V (1500 mAh battery) - (10,000 * 0.7) / 1500 = 4.66, or 4 full charges from 0% to 100% & 1 more charge from 0% to 66%

In testing I achieved 4 full charges from 0% to 100%, & 1 more charge from 0% to 54% before the Astro 3 was totally flat.

It took 2 1/2 hours to fully charge my phone using the S USB slot. It took 3 hours to fully charge my phone using the I USB slot.
(Using the wall charger that came with my phone, it takes 1 1/2 hours to charge my phone from 0% to 100%)

2 USB slots can charge up to 2A (@5V). USB Slot I is for Apple devices, USB Slot S is for Samsung (read Android) devices. Both slots work for any USB device I have tried that is 5V.
This also has a DC out slot that is switchable between 9V & 12V.

Your device will only draw UP TO the Amps that it is designed for. In other words if your wall charger is 1A 5V, it is ok to use this external battery, your device will only draw 1A. The external battery itself can supply up to 2A depending on your device, just make sure its 5V.

I also tried charging my netbook, an EeePC (1000HE) made by Asus, with an 8400 mAh battery that lasts for around 7 hours. The wall charger for this is 12V 3A. I was a little dubious about this as they say this device is not compatible with Asus tablets.

Anyway after 1 hour of charging, my netbook went from 3% to 32% & had 2 hours 15 mins of time on it. The external battery had 2 LEDs lit up after this, so between 50% & 75% charge left (I suspect just over 50%). The external battery was also rather warm, presumably my netbook was trying to draw 3A. I wasnt willing to try anymore because I didnt want to damage my Astro 3, but it will be ok for an emergency.

4 LEDs on the External battery to indicate how much charge is left. 1 LED 0% to 25%. 2 LEDs 25% to 50%. 3 LEDs 50% to 75%. 4 LEDs 75% to 100%.
This external battery comes with loads of different connectors that should fit most devices.

My phone (HTC One V) is about the same size an an iPhone 4. This external battery is a bit higher, a bit more wider, & twice as thick as my phone. Also considerably heavier. (Other reviews have measured this, I cba)

It arrived quicker than I expected, ordered on 7th Sept, was told estimated despatch of 13th for delivery 18th. It was actually despatched 9th, tried to deliver 12th but was too big for the letter box, & I had to pick it up from the Post Office 13th Sept.

I've added some pics showing the device with my phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super, 17 Feb 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have several mobile devices and take two to three with me when I travel my iPhone, iPad, and/orkindle. I try to find outlets at airports to plug them in, but so do the rest of the travelers. Each device's battery has a different length of life, my iPad battery runs out more quickly, followed by my iPhone and then my kindle. By carrying all three, I hoped that using them one by one I would have a mobile device for my East to West Coast travels. Now, we have external battery chargers, and they are a life saver.

This zanier battery pack came well packaged, easy to open and encased in a strong plastic case. The battery has an on/off button and also has auto shut off. A blue LED indicates when the battery is turned on. While you are charging your device the LED is on. This battery pack is a very good size, small, light weight, and can be easily placed in a purse or pocket.

This battery charger is ideal for charging a smartphone to a full charge more quickly than others I have used, and my iPad much more slowly. . My iPhone is an older model, and the battery runs out more quickly. I keep this portable power bank with me fully charged to use when my iPhone needs re-charging. This battery uses Lithium Ion battery technology and carries a 10000mAh capacity. I keep this portable power bank in my purse with the charging cable, so that it is convenient for use at any time. The battery pack is white with a green strip on either end, quite attractive. You must provide your own able to fit your mobile devices. Note: I was provided this product to use and review.

Recommended. prisrob 02-17-14

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes with a nice protective textile pouch too, 19 July 2014
I needed something to keep my S4 going as a sat nav on a hire bike with no power outlet. This one is thin for the capacity, chargers itself at up to 2A, runs/charges devices at up to 2A if they need it, thanks to PowerIQ, is more efficient than most and comes with superb Anker build quality. Impressed. Comes with a nice protective textile pouch too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of charge, 30 Aug 2013
I bought this item to use at a festival as I hate loosing my phone to a booth for hours on end while someone else charges it. It stated it held 5 iPhone 5 charges. At the 5 day festival it charged my iPhone 4S 6 times, a friends htc once, an iPhone 5, a lumix camera and I still had one bar by the time I got home!

The downside is that it takes a while to charge, as it charges at half the speed it can charge your phone/item.

Well worth the money for the festival and recommend other people buying one. Buy of the summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 4 July 2013
I purchased this for the Glastonbury Featival last week. It charged my iPhone5 5 times and the Anker still had between 25% and 50% charge by the end of the week. Another great feature is the speed it charges your phone, just like its on mains. A must for any festival - especially at this great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Long life, quick charge, 18 July 2013
This is a good piece of equipment. It is heavy, but about the same size as a Samsung S3, so it's not difficult to carry around.

It keeps charge very well and is very simple to use. Charge it up, check the charge any time you like with a press of a button.

Power-wise it charged my S3 three times over a five day weekend and still had plenty of power and can just about recharge an iPad from full.

The cables which come with the product to connect are a bit thick and don't connect perfectly into devices, but you can use your own cables if you have a USB to micro-USB cable (or whatever cable your device requires).

Not quite a perfect product, but highly recommended if you need a battery pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best portable charger, 29 July 2014
Very happy with this power bank. I bought EasyAcc 12000mah before, it was way too heavy and chunky enough to carry it in your jean pocket. It simply do not have its portability factor. Despite the massive size it does not provide more than 1.5 times full charges for my S5. Then I bought small 3000mah ones which do not cut the mustard. It barely charges my Galaxy S5 to 30% from flat. It simply does not have enough Oomph. I returned both of them and settled on this beauty Anker 10000mah model. It charges my phone super fast and I got 2.5 time full charge out of single charge. It keeps you informed how much battery it got left with four LED lights. The size is more or less same as typical smart phone these day. So it can be put in pocket and carry it with you everywhere you go. The quality is amazing by the way. I see Anker as absolute value for money... It deserves 5 stars and I would thoroughly recommended to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of invention, 27 Nov 2013
This piece of gadget is an amazing invention but is a little bigger than i have expected. It can charge up to 4 full phone batteries which is incredible.

3.0 out of 5 stars False advertising - only 7400 mAh at 5v, 27 Feb 2013

It's advertised under false pretences though, and here's why:

When the manufacturer says 10,000mAh, they mean 10,000mAh at 3.7v. This is confirmed, as they say they use 37Wh of battery. Trouble is, when you have to boost this voltage up, your 'mAh' rating drops by the same amount.

So the device is only really a 7400mAh at 5v unit. The 10,000mAh is pure marketing, because really the customer shouldn't have to know or care about the voltages of the internal batteries!!

It's not bad value for a 7400mAh unit - but buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, forget about battery problems ever again!, 29 July 2014
Looked around for a while to find what I wanted to support my iphone 4's diminishing battery life. Decided on this over a charging case or a small (lipstick sized) power bank, very happy with my choice. This device is charged via an included 'micro B' USB cable and charges your devices from either one or both of the other two USB connections. I haven't run the battery of this device down fully yet but I have fully charged my iphone 4 from it 3 times in one day which used about 60% of it's battery. Charges my iphone very quickly too. I put this device in my back pocket and run a cable to my phone in my front pocket when I need to charge my phone on the go, and that works fine.Looks stylish and well built. Very good price.