1,471 Reviews
 (1,139)

4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again
Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Dual 2A/5V USB Output & 9V/12V DC Output External Battery Pack Charger.

Edit Please note this is for the older version, NOT for the new E version (despite what the Amazon page says). Also I corrected my maths, as pointed out by Ms L Atkins. Thanks for that, I missed out some brackets!

So how many times can you charge your...
Published on 18 Sept. 2012 by Ssscrudddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a phenomenally long time time to charge up
It's a great product, and charges my iPhone 5 many times on one charge. However, it takes about 12 hours to recharge the unit, not 6 or 7 as the website suggests...
Published 7 months ago by Sam Sweeney

4.0 out of 5 stars Never run out of battery again, 18 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger with PowerIQTM Technology for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Moto X, PS Vita, Gopro, and other USB-charged devices (Wireless Phone Accessory)

So how many times can you charge your phone? This battery is 70% efficient (nothing is ever 100%). According to their website (ianker.com) use this formula.

Capacity of the External Battery * 70% / Capacity of the Mobile Phone

So for my phone, HTC One V (1500 mAh battery) - (10,000 * 0.7) / 1500 = 4.66, or 4 full charges from 0% to 100% & 1 more charge from 0% to 66%

In testing I achieved 4 full charges from 0% to 100%, & 1 more charge from 0% to 54% before the Astro 3 was totally flat.

It took 2 1/2 hours to fully charge my phone using the S USB slot. It took 3 hours to fully charge my phone using the I USB slot.
(Using the wall charger that came with my phone, it takes 1 1/2 hours to charge my phone from 0% to 100%)

2 USB slots can charge up to 2A (@5V). USB Slot I is for Apple devices, USB Slot S is for Samsung (read Android) devices. Both slots work for any USB device I have tried that is 5V.
This also has a DC out slot that is switchable between 9V & 12V.

Your device will only draw UP TO the Amps that it is designed for. In other words if your wall charger is 1A 5V, it is ok to use this external battery, your device will only draw 1A. The external battery itself can supply up to 2A depending on your device, just make sure its 5V.

I also tried charging my netbook, an EeePC (1000HE) made by Asus, with an 8400 mAh battery that lasts for around 7 hours. The wall charger for this is 12V 3A. I was a little dubious about this as they say this device is not compatible with Asus tablets.

Anyway after 1 hour of charging, my netbook went from 3% to 32% & had 2 hours 15 mins of time on it. The external battery had 2 LEDs lit up after this, so between 50% & 75% charge left (I suspect just over 50%). The external battery was also rather warm, presumably my netbook was trying to draw 3A. I wasnt willing to try anymore because I didnt want to damage my Astro 3, but it will be ok for an emergency.

4 LEDs on the External battery to indicate how much charge is left. 1 LED 0% to 25%. 2 LEDs 25% to 50%. 3 LEDs 50% to 75%. 4 LEDs 75% to 100%.
This external battery comes with loads of different connectors that should fit most devices.

My phone (HTC One V) is about the same size an an iPhone 4. This external battery is a bit higher, a bit more wider, & twice as thick as my phone. Also considerably heavier. (Other reviews have measured this, I cba)

It arrived quicker than I expected, ordered on 7th Sept, was told estimated despatch of 13th for delivery 18th. It was actually despatched 9th, tried to deliver 12th but was too big for the letter box, & I had to pick it up from the Post Office 13th Sept.

I've added some pics showing the device with my phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, especially for the price, 24 July 2014
I'm very satisfied about this external battery.
It is very handy during conferences or when I'm moving a lot during the day and I don't have the chance to connect my smartphone to a power source.
The 10000 mAh capacity is enough for at least 4 charges of my Nexus 5 and the output (3000 mA) is very fast: it is easily possible to use the smartphone with highly consuming applications, such as GPS navigation, and still charging it using this battery.
I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical of the unfamiliar brand but was very impressed., 9 Jan. 2015
These things are actually fantastic. I was sceptical at first but threw caution to the wind due to the low price and my imminent departure from the country and I was not disappointed.

I'm aware that often portable charging devices can lack in pretty much every department and I'm especially distrusting of brand names I've never heard of before, but not this one. it does take some time to charge. From almost empty I usually have to put it on before I go to bed and then take it off charge when I get home the next day. But from that you can get around 4 and a half full charges for a smartphone. I've used it with an HTC One X, a Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S4 and probably an iPhone or two at some point and it charges them no problem in the same amount of time you'd expect from charging at the mains. It has two USB ports, one optimised for charging Android phones and one for charging IOS devices (something to do with the way the different operating systems distribute power). It also holds the power very well.

Supplied, you get the unit itself, a nice cloth baggy and a USB cable. It does only come supplied with a micro USB cable, not an iphone cable but if Apple would get their figurative head out of their metaphorical arse and join the rest of the world using micro USB then this wouldn't be a problem. The whole thing is packaged up very nicely and comes with very clear and concise instructions and information (including detail about how the whole Android/Apple ports work).

Only bad thing I have to say is that the nice shiny finish does scratch up something terrible but obviously this doesn't impact the way the thing works so not a serious issue. Other than that this thing saved my arse more than once out in the styx in Northern Thailand with a dying phone battery. Actually bought my friend one as a present recently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long distance running - an invaluable addition!, 31 May 2013
Wibles (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
When you're on the road for 12h+ running, you need to keep your electronic gadgetary charged up.

You can buy spare batteries for your phone, I guess (if you can access the battery in the first place, iPhone users - you lose out here). Even if you have a spare battery, if you're GPS recording your run, you'll have to forever split it into two if you need to switch off your phone to recharge.

Same with GPS watch and Bluetooth wireless headset. They just don't last the distance.

So I thought I'd explore getting some mobile charging in my backpack. And I was very, very pleased with the results! This 10,000-mAh device can charge my hefty Galaxy Note 2 almost twice, but I generally only need to top up about 50% for a 100km race.

The GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 410 with HR) takes about 1h to charge from 20% to 80% - and then lasts the distance easily recording the whole run. The headset, plantronic M55 charge in around 20 minutes from 1h talk time remaining to 11h remaining.

At 240g it really is not that heavy compared to the 2 litres+ of water in my hydration pack. I can pick it up at half way, so don't have to carry it the whole way. Cables are required, but very light.

All in all, this is now a completely invaluable part of my running pack.

I've also used it for camping, an altogether more pleasant experience knowing you've got your mobile charging sorted without having to leave the car's ignition on for 4h!

Some more info... http://www.wibles.net/ultrablog/2013/05/staying-supercharged/

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but takes ages to charge, 11 Feb. 2013
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this to replace a Winten 10000 mAh WT-P100-BK Mobile Battery Pack, External Battery Pack, High Capacity Power Bank Charger, Dual USB output (5V/ 2Ah & 1Ah) - inkl. 7 connectors + compact design AC adpter, for iPhone 4/4S/3GS, iPod Touch/Classic/Nano, iPad, iPad 2, the Ne... which I owned for a couple of months then failed.

On the positive side this is more robust and has a much better quality finish than the Winten and it charges my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S3 faster, probably because of the dedicated Android charging circuits in the left hand side USB port. For example charging my Nexus 7 from 71% to 100% took 38 minutes and the Galaxy S3 from 68% to 100% took 32 minutes. These times are pretty good for an external battery pack. Another massive plus for me is that this unit will charge my third party extra capacity battery in my S3 to 100% where the Winten stopped at around 82 - 92% I also used it to power my S3 overnight while running a 'sleep' application. It was 70% charged when I went to bed and 100% in the morning, the unit had powered the phone all night without switching off when it reached 100% (exactly what I wanted) the Winten would switch itself off once it detected maximum charge had been reached. In any case the charge to 100% and running the phone for 7 hours caused 1 light to go out or 25% of the charge to be used.

The downside is that this unit takes nearly twice as long as the Winten to charge from my wall charger. I have tried a couple of different wall chargers and there is little difference. While this is an excellent battery pack please give yourself plenty of time to charge it. It took 7 hours from 2 lights out to 4 lights on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect balance between capacity and size, 27 Sept. 2014
Got recommended this by the Ingress community, and boy do I love it!

The design is slick and effective. The activate / battery check button has a solid click, which gives adequate tactile feedback when you use it with the accompanying pouch.

The mumble jumble about smart charging does seem to work well - it recharges my iPhone way quicker than another pack I bought, and it proves equally effective on my housemate's phone. I haven't tried duel charging yet, although I'd expect the recharge speed to drop as the manual says.

In terms of portability vs capacity, I think this has hit the sweet spot. I think I get about a week's worth of Ingressing from it - which I think amounts to about 10 hours solid usage. Of course I've never run in flat before recharging either, so mileage may well be longer.

This beast has completely changed my phone recharging habit in fact - I no longer bother to keep my phone plugged in overnight now, and resort to recharging it only when needed either in the office, living room or with the battery pack.

The only improvement I could think of is to put the recharge port at the bottom as well so that you never have to take it out of the pouch, but the schematic change probably isn't worthwhile!

Highly recommend for the urban heavy phone users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 3 Aug. 2014
Wasn't impressed first time i used it but when I charge only one thing at a time and make sure the item being charged is switched off its great. Good for holidays camping etc

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a phenomenally long time time to charge up, 3 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 4 July 2013
I purchased this for the Glastonbury Featival last week. It charged my iPhone5 5 times and the Anker still had between 25% and 50% charge by the end of the week. Another great feature is the speed it charges your phone, just like its on mains. A must for any festival - especially at this great price

3.0 out of 5 stars False advertising - only 7400 mAh at 5v, 27 Feb. 2013
This is a good product, it's not bad value for money, and having bought it I intend to keep it.

It's advertised under false pretences though, and here's why:

This charger operates at 5v (because USB power is 5v). But the batteries inside the device are only 3.7v... and there's some booster circuit inside which boosts that voltage up to 5.

When the manufacturer says 10,000mAh, they mean 10,000mAh at 3.7v. This is confirmed, as they say they use 37Wh of battery. Trouble is, when you have to boost this voltage up, your 'mAh' rating drops by the same amount.

So the device is only really a 7400mAh at 5v unit. The 10,000mAh is pure marketing, because really the customer shouldn't have to know or care about the voltages of the internal batteries!!

It's not bad value for a 7400mAh unit - but buyer beware!